Young people these days - 22 year old cop fails to recognize Bob Dylan

Started by Syt, July 17, 2013, 09:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/bigbrother/article-1206617/Like-complete-unknown-Bob-Dylan-frogmarched-collect-ID-rookie-policewoman-fails-recognise-scruffy-music-legend.html

QuoteLike a complete unknown: Bob Dylan frogmarched to collect ID after rookie policewoman fails to recognise scruffy music legend

He has sold albums by the million and was the idol of the 1960s protest movement. But yesterday Bob Dylan discovered what it's like to be just a face in the crowd.

Police were called in a quiet seaside town after he was spotted freewheelin' down the street and apparently acting suspiciously. A 22-year-old female officer demanded to see his identification papers.

He assumed she would at least recognise the name if not the face. But she ordered him into the back of her car and took him to his hotel to check his story.

Then she radioed her older colleagues at the police station to ask if anyone knew who Bob Dylan was.

'I'm afraid we all fell about laughing,' said Craig Spencer
, a senior officer in Long Branch, New Jersey. 'If it was me, I'd have been demanding his autograph, not his ID.

'The poor woman has taken rather a lot of abuse from us. I offered to bring in some of my Dylan albums. Unfortunately, she doesn't know what vinyl is either.'

It was in 1965 that Dylan wrote Like A Rolling Stone, with its line: 'How does it feel to be on your own, a complete unknown?'

He found out while staying at the Ocean Place Resort in Long Branch. Before taking part in a concert with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp, he decided to take a stroll through the town's Latin quarter.

'Residents called to complain there was an old scruffy man acting suspiciously,' said officer Spencer. 'It was an odd request because it was mid-afternoon. But it's an ethnic Latin area and the residents felt he didn't fit in.'

This is not the first time that Dylan has wandered off alone while on tour.

After a concert in Belfast in 1991, he shunned his chauffeur-driven limo and was captured by a TV crew waiting at a bus stop.

And in the middle of an American tour he popped unannounced into the childhood home of author Mark Twain.

When the stunned curator asked if he was really Bob Dylan, he said: 'I guess I am.'
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

To be fair, she probably couldn't understand anything he said (which I guess to us older people would be another indicator that it's Bob Dylan).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

When asked for ID, the officer was told the answer is blowing in the wind.  Missing the reference,  the officer proceeded to arrest the man for obstruction of justice.

CountDeMoney

QuoteA 22-year-old female officer demanded to see his identification papers.

And it wasn't even an election day.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2013, 10:35:21 AM
When asked for ID, the officer was told the answer is blowing in the wind.  Missing the reference,  the officer proceeded to arrest the man for obstruction of justice.

Like a complete unknown?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Richard Hakluyt

Even if he wasn't Bob Dylan the complaint against him was a bit ridiculous. Must have been walking in a non-approved Jewish and/or elderly way  :D

DGuller

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on July 17, 2013, 09:58:07 AM
But it's an ethnic Latin area and the residents felt he didn't fit in.'

The harmonica harness was a dead giveaway in a Salsa-Only Zone. 

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 17, 2013, 10:54:44 AM
He got racial profiled?

Acting suspicious.  He had a bag of Skittles, rolled it up and smoked it.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Larch

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".