9th Circuit tosses GOP challenge to Nevada’s “none of the above” voting option

Started by jimmy olsen, July 10, 2013, 06:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Siege, are you a lefty secret agent by any chance? Cause otherwise why are you posting all those retarded slogans?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Siege

Well, that was from Glenn Beck's "The Man on the Moon" theatrical show.
I used to like Glenn Beck, then he became all about religion, and by now he is just another millenialist.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on July 11, 2013, 01:40:03 PM
Well, that was from Glenn Beck's "The Man on the Moon" theatrical show.
I used to like Glenn Beck, then he became all about religion, and by now he is just another millenialist.

Favors anti-semites.  You really can't pick them, can you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 11, 2013, 09:11:49 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 10, 2013, 07:21:56 PM
What Constitutional right is in play here?
I'm not sure there is one. Nevertheless, I philosophically agree with the plantiffs. I think there's not much point to the "none of the above" option if it doesn't have an actual effect on the election. It would be much better if, in the case of the option winning, there was a follow up election where the previous candidates were barred from participating.

There's absolutely no point in barring previous candidates; apart from the iffyness of depriving someone of part of their democratic rights (that being to stand for office) in a situation where NOTA has "won" a vote most of the candidates would either choose not to run again or be ousted by their party anyway.

On the other hand I can see the merits of your basic proposition that NOTA winning should force a rerun since as it stands NOTA has exactly as much value as the more traditional "protest tactic" of spoiling your ballot or simply not showing up to vote at all. In other words, no value at all.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

No Tim, just no.  Voting 'None of the above' is the sort of thing an idiot or coward would do.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 11, 2013, 10:42:20 AM
It is not a given that the candidates that win the primaries are the most popular statewide.

It is not a given.  It could be otherwise.  But it also could not be and if it isn't the Jimmy plan can completely break down and give no result.  That is not acceptable institutional design.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 11, 2013, 10:08:35 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 11, 2013, 10:05:42 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 11, 2013, 09:11:49 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 10, 2013, 07:21:56 PM
What Constitutional right is in play here?
I'm not sure there is one. Nevertheless, I philosophically agree with the plantiffs. I think there's not much point to the "none of the above" option if it doesn't have an actual effect on the election. It would be much better if, in the case of the option winning, there was a follow up election where the previous candidates were barred from participating.

The elected representatives of the people of the state of Nevada disagree with you.
Barring a constitutional violation, that ends the question as far as the courts are concerned.
So what? Just because it doesn't violate the constitution and the legislature approves doesn't mean it isn't a stupid policy.

I'm not sure if it's the court's concern if you have stupid policy or not.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 11, 2013, 05:53:53 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 11, 2013, 10:42:20 AM
It is not a given that the candidates that win the primaries are the most popular statewide.

It is not a given.  It could be otherwise.  But it also could not be and if it isn't the Jimmy plan can completely break down and give no result.  That is not acceptable institutional design.
Seems extremely unlikely that if the candidates are most popular statewide that NOAT will win. It's never happened yet.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 11, 2013, 06:03:54 PM
Seems extremely unlikely that if the candidates are most popular statewide that NOAT will win. It's never happened yet.

Indeed NOTA has never won.  So the very likely the problem you are concerned about fixing does not exist.  But under your proposal in the very unlikely event NOTA wins, you vastly increase the likelihood that an impasse will occur.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson