Linguistic Relativity: speakers of different languages think and behave differen

Started by Siege, May 27, 2009, 09:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on May 27, 2009, 11:48:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2009, 11:43:24 PM
Maimonides.
That's a fair one, though he was nowhere near as prolific on non-theological matters as some of the Arab thinkers I mentioned.  Really, in terms of intellectual heft the only languages that can compete with Arabic are Greek, Chinese, Latin, Sanskrit, Italian, French, German, and English.

I'm suprised you didn't mention Russian.  Heh,  I studied Latin of three years and I've come to believe that most brilliant works in that language were written well after it was a dead language. :lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

I think there's a neo-linguistic relativity that's emerged recently, because Sapir-Whorf sort of fell off.  If you're interested Siegey, have a read of some Steven Pinker :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on May 27, 2009, 11:48:18 PM
That's a fair one, though he was nowhere near as prolific on non-theological matters as some of the Arab thinkers I mentioned.  Really, in terms of intellectual heft the only languages that can compete with Arabic are Greek, Chinese, Latin, Sanskrit, Italian, French, German, and English. 

Hebrew was a dead theological language for over 1500 years.  It is rather ridiculous to trash a language as producing theological stuff if it is an exclusively theological language.

You cannot even really include Maimonides since his native spoken tongue was probably whatever the Sefardi were speaking at the time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on May 28, 2009, 01:18:34 AM
I'm suprised you didn't mention Russian.  Heh,  I studied Latin of three years and I've come to believe that most brilliant works in that language were written well after it was a dead language. :lol:

It was not really a dead language until...what the 17th century?  Ironically it was the fight against the evolved Eurolatin and the attempt to restore pure Roman Latin that killed it.

Well that and the Reformation.  Damn Lutherans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Martinus on May 28, 2009, 01:16:40 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 28, 2009, 01:12:58 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 28, 2009, 12:39:48 AM
Low blow. :lol:

Nah, merely a cheap shot. HVC certainly won't be crying into his pillow because of it.  ;)

Unless he is also biting it at the time. :P
:lol: If i were so inclined i think i'd be a pitcher
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on May 27, 2009, 11:37:44 PM
Quote from: Siege on May 27, 2009, 09:24:46 PM
Mindblowing.
Is this why arabs are such a bunch of retards?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapir-Whorf_Hypothesis
This is the language of al-Kindi, ibn Khaldun, Geber, Avicenna and Averroes.  How many great minds has Hebrew produced?

Thats an unfair question since Hebrew has been a language reserved for religious ceremony only for almost 2000 years.  It's like asking how many great minds Latin or Church Slavonic has produced.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2009, 09:27:10 AM
You cannot even really include Maimonides since his native spoken tongue was probably whatever the Sefardi were speaking at the time.

He spoke Arabic and wrote The Guide to the Perplexed in Arabic on the grounds that it was the only suitable language for philosophy.   :D

Siege's new pet theory fails.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 28, 2009, 12:08:49 PM
He spoke Arabic and wrote The Guide to the Perplexed in Arabic on the grounds that it was the only suitable language for philosophy.   :D

Siege's new pet theory fails.
:D

Yeah, I was going to guess that but couldn't find any proof.  Awesome.

Thats an unfair question since Hebrew has been a language reserved for religious ceremony only for almost 2000 years.  It's like asking how many great minds Latin or Church Slavonic has produced.
Its totally fair.  Hebrew hasn't.  Arabic has.  What gives Siege the right to presume that Hebrew is superior when it has been locked in the closet of religious ceremony for thousands of years?

And Latin?  Most western philosophy and science was in Latin until recently.  I included Latin on my list for the works written AFTER the decline of the Roman Empire (as before the language of the educated was Greek).
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Minsky Moment

to be fair to Hebrew, my guess is that it there have been plenty of first rate thinkers whose native language is Hebrew over the past 50 years, though I imagine many of them write in English to reach a wider audience.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 28, 2009, 12:24:33 PM
to be fair to Hebrew, my guess is that it there have been plenty of first rate thinkers whose native language is Hebrew over the past 50 years, though I imagine many of them write in English to reach a wider audience.
True.  Probably more than Arabic in the last 50 years, at any rate.

But I think Siege's point is totally invalidated (ARABS ARE RETARDED AS ARABIC MAKES THEM THAT WAY) by the fact that some of the greatest minds in history wrote Arabic, even if many of them weren't native speakers. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: The Brain on May 28, 2009, 12:38:02 PM
Arabs are not retards! :mad:

well not all of them obviously, I'm sure there are a few, considering that I know some who are if not retarded at least borderline moronic.
:p

crazy canuck

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 28, 2009, 12:39:40 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 28, 2009, 12:38:02 PM
Arabs are not retards! :mad:

well not all of them obviously, I'm sure there are a few, considering that I know some who are if not retarded at least borderline moronic.

No reason to belief that the Arab speakers who are moronic outnumber the English speakers who are moronic.