"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Snob is a contraction of the Latin words sine nobilitas, meaning without nobility.  It was coined by upper class twits in British boarding schools to distinguish themselves (the nobs--those with nobilitas) from the new money social climbers who had made fortunes in the East India Company.

Basically it means someone who acts as if they're better than you based on their wealth, their family, their occupation, where they went to school, things like that.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2013, 08:33:29 AM
Snob is a contraction of the Latin words sine nobilitas, meaning without nobility.  It was coined by upper class twits in British boarding schools to distinguish themselves (the nobs--those with nobilitas) from the new money social climbers who had made fortunes in the East India Company.

Didn't know that. Pretty interesting, thanks for sharing. :)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on July 03, 2013, 08:39:14 AM
Didn't know that. Pretty interesting, thanks for sharing. :)

:cheers:

What makes that factoid particularly fun for me is the way the meaning of snob has evolved; we would now call the nobs snobs.

Pishtaco

Basically it means someone who acts as if they're better than you based on their wealth, their family, their occupation, where they went to school, things like that.

Surely sine nobilitate, ablative.

Admiral Yi

:D

Sine nobilitas is what I got from a NYT review of a biography of whatshisname, the British dude who won all those battles in India.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Yeah, San Francisco wins by a mile. :P

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2013, 08:55:22 AM

:cheers:

What makes that factoid particularly fun for me is the way the meaning of snob has evolved; we would now call the nobs snobs.

It's not that we think very highly of nobs, either, though. ;)

Eddie Teach

The French had the right idea.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2013, 10:19:28 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 03, 2013, 10:17:45 AM
The French had the right idea.

Guillotines.  Fuck yeah.

I saw the Swedish one a few days ago. Only used once.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on July 03, 2013, 10:37:15 AM
I saw the Swedish one a few days ago. Only used once.

What, is it Polish or something?  You can raise the blade again, you know.

DGuller