Meanwhile, back at the Super Villians' Secret Lair....

Started by CountDeMoney, June 30, 2013, 05:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

CEOs are managers, not entrepeneurs.  The whole premise of much of the discussion above is mistaken.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on July 01, 2013, 03:21:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 01, 2013, 03:12:12 PM
A country could theoretically tax the bejesus out of rich people but still be such an attractive place to invest your money that capital would flow in. 

This is impossible. Who would invest in a place with lower returns?
Do not forget, capitalist pigs have no loyalties to any country, and have no emotional attachments.

We've done it here. Taxes used to be much, much higher for the rich.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Of course we would not expect to see entrepeneurial activity in higher tax, higher regulatory jurisdictions.  Which explains why the tech industry is so weak in California.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on July 01, 2013, 07:24:45 PM
Capitalists don't create jobs.  Demand creates jobs.  "Capitalists" of the type we have today, whom you consider to be natural resources even though they are rent-seekers and other assorted parasites, destroy demand by hollowing out the only classes capable of generating sufficient aggregate demand.

The act of determining demand and producing to supply that demand is an entrepeneurial activity.  I'm sitting here demanding a life-like, affordable sexbot and nothing is happening.  The inhabitants of the Soviet bloc demanded blue jeans and consumer electronics and nothing happened.

QuoteAnd in any event capital flight can be restrained through the use of appropriate legislation backed by armed force.

This is the ticket.  The only reasonable way to achieve the full progressive social justice agenda is to implement a closed, command economy.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 01, 2013, 11:35:28 PMThe inhabitants of the Soviet bloc demanded blue jeans and consumer electronics and nothing happened.

Debatable. The fall of the GDR was at least partially caused by the people wanting to have a lifestyle as advertised on West German TV.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on July 01, 2013, 11:56:27 PM
Debatable. The fall of the GDR was at least partially caused by the people wanting to have a lifestyle as advertised on West German TV.

I think I mentioned that a buddy of mine who visited Ostlandia came to the conclusion that what Communism really needed was some good video games.

However, I was addressing Ide's comment about demand creating jobs.  Demand for blue jeans did not cause garment workers to spontaneously organize themselves into denim collectives.

11B4V

Quote(Newser) – ObamaCare is still going into effect in 2014, but one key component of it is being temporarily shelved. The White House today postponed by one year a rule requiring employers to either provide coverage to employees or face hefty fines, reports the Wall Street Journal. The rule will take effect in 2015, instead of 2014. "We have heard concerns about the complexity of the requirements and the need for more time to implement them effectively," writes Treasury official Mark Mazur in a blog post. The Journal explains that while most employers already provide such coverage, restaurants and retail companies in particular—both of which rely on low-wage workers—were resisting. The rule affects businesses with more than 50 workers.

The Hill calls the decision "stunning" and says it "represents an enormous victory for businesses that had lobbied against the healthcare law." It also notes that the move pushes back the start of the controversial provision until after the 2014 midterms, which should be good news for vulnerable Democrats. The New York Times reports that other key parts of ObamaCare, including the establishment of "exchanges" where people can buy insurance, will take effect as planned in 2014. But "it will be difficult for officials running the exchanges to know who is entitled to subsidies if they are not able to confirm whether employers are offering insurance to their employees," writes Jackie Calmes.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on July 01, 2013, 11:56:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 01, 2013, 11:35:28 PMThe inhabitants of the Soviet bloc demanded blue jeans and consumer electronics and nothing happened.

Derrick brought down the Berlin Wall!  :yeah: :w00t: