News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Arab Spring, Round 2

Started by Savonarola, June 28, 2013, 01:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Egypt must really be fucked. I understand why they were afraid of Mr. Muslim Brother Mursi becoming ever more arrogant, but... what was it, 6 months ago that such crowds rallied against the military "restoring order"? Now they celebrate military takeover.

Admiral Yi

Hope they give some credit to Obama. :mad:

Liep

Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2013, 02:13:23 PM
Egypt must really be fucked. I understand why they were afraid of Mr. Muslim Brother Mursi becoming ever more arrogant, but... what was it, 6 months ago that such crowds rallied against the military "restoring order"? Now they celebrate military takeover.
They had an Egyptian on via phone who said "No, this is not a military coup, the military is our tool to win the revolution back". Yeah, good luck with that.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

Didn't they have a military government in Egypt from 1952 to 2012? What's supposed to change with this one?

Liep

I like how the crowd are just grabbing military/police personnel and throwing them up in the air and half heartedly catches them again. The officers put up a brave display and then run for it when they get down on the ground. :lol:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

They all need to get back to work.

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on July 03, 2013, 02:48:52 PM
Didn't they have a military government in Egypt from 1952 to 2012? What's supposed to change with this one?
the context is different.  There's an elected assembly, with reasonable people you can work with to draft a decent Constitution.  The army has been ousted by popular protest, and they're back with the people at their back.  I think they know the wind is changing, and they can't hope to maintain power without the people.

That's what the optimist in me thinks, at least.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

They should go back to pharaonic rule. Keep them out of trouble with pyramid-building.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2013, 02:57:27 PM
They all need to get back to work.

look, it's not like anybody in that country has one...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on July 03, 2013, 03:00:24 PM
They should go back to pharaonic rule. Keep them out of trouble with pyramid-building.

bad idea, cheaper to do with imported chinese labour.. the locals might not appreciate the chinks' predeliction for pork
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Legbiter

Where's my main man Tantawi? Who's this young whippersnapper?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Savonarola

In the Cairo Metro they have a couple woman only cars on every train.  I thought it was a mild nuisance; but I see it did serve a vital purpose:

Women sexually assaulted in Egypt protests

Human Rights Watch says mobs "assaulted and in some cases raped at least 91 women" in Cairo's Tahrir Square.

Egypt's Tahrir Square has seen nearly hundred women falling victim to "rampant" sexual attacks during the past four days of protests against President Mohamed Morsi, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said.

The global rights watchdog said on Wednesday that the mobs sexually assaulted "and in some cases raped at least 91 women" in Tahrir Square amid a climate of impunity.

Citing figures of the Egyptian Operation Anti-Sexual Harassment/Assault, that runs a hotline for victims of sexual assault, HRW said that there were 46 such attacks against women on Sunday, 17 on Monday and 23 on Tuesday.

Another women's rights group, Nazra for Feminist Studies, reported that there were five similar attacks on Friday, said HRW.

Sexual harassment has long been common in Egypt, but its increasing occurrence and ferocity has shaken the protest movement. A large number of women had fallen victim to gang assaults too in the square - the epicenter of 2011 revolution.

Security vacuum

Some say the attacks are staged by thugs who are abusing a security vacuum and confident of escaping prosecution. Others say the assaults are organised to scare women off from joining protests and to stain the image of the anti-government demonstrations.

"The rampant sexual attacks during the Tahrir Square protests highlight the failure of the government and all political parties to face up to the violence that women in Egypt experience on a daily basis in public spaces," said Joe Stork, HRW's deputy Middle East director.

HRW also called on Egyptian officials and political leaders "across the spectrum to condemn and take immediate steps to address the horrific levels of sexual violence" in the iconic square.

"These are serious crimes that are holding women back from participating fully in the public life of Egypt at a critical point in the country's development," the New York-based watchdog said.

Several women required surgical intervention after the attacks, some were "beaten with metal chains, sticks, and chairs, and attacked with knives," HRW said.

HRW said the attackers needed to be brought to justice but "the government response has been to downplay the extent of the problem or to seek to address it through legislative reform alone."

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

What a crappy people. They are filth.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Legbiter on July 03, 2013, 03:22:00 PM

Where's my main man Tantawi? Who's this young whippersnapper?

Now see, that's the kind of guy US policy should be supporting.  Look at that over-sized beret.  Those masculine collar boards.  Those epaulettes you could do a half-gainer off of.

Now that's the kind of strongman we want there.

Savonarola

Meanwhile in Libya:

QuoteLibya deadly car bomb near Benghazi hospital

A car bomb explosion near a hospital in the Libyan city of Benghazi has killed several people, officials say.

The death toll is unclear. Local officials initially said nine people had been killed. A hospital spokesman later said three bodies had been found.

The blast follows a string of bombings in the eastern city in recent days.

Security remains precarious in Libya since the uprising against long-time leader Muammar Gaddafi, with protests by militias and attacks by Islamists.

'Totally destroyed'

The head of Jalaa hospital told AFP news agency that the hospital had received three bodies, as well as body parts that could belong to other victims.

He also said another nine people had been wounded, three of them critically.

The explosives were placed in a grey Toyota near the hospital, officials and eyewitnesses say.

Libyan Deputy Interior Minister Abdullah Massoud was quoted as saying that the bomb had "totally destroyed a restaurant and seriously damaged nearby buildings".

So far no group has said it carried out Monday's attack in Benghazi, which is regarded as the cradle of the revolution that ousted Gaddafi in 2011.

Angry crowds later gathered at the scene, blaming militants for the bombing and urging the authorities to drive them out of the city.

Many demonstrators chanted "Rise, Benghazi!"

"This is the flesh of our sons, this is what the militias have given us," one of the protesters was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency. "All we need here are the police and the army."

At least three police stations were bombed in Benghazi last week - causing damage but not casualties
In April, a car bomb exploded outside the French embassy in the capital, Tripoli, wounding two French guards and several residents

In September 2012, the US consulate in Benghazi was attacked by armed men, leading to the killing of ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other American officials

Earlier this month, the UK said it had withdrawn some of its embassy staff in Libya in response to what London described as "ongoing political uncertainty".

Further BBC Analysis:

QuoteBBC News, Tripoli

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A sombre-looking prime minister addressed the nation with several members of congress standing around him.

Ali Zidan offered his condolences and spoke of the authorities' inability to take the strict measures needed to prevent this kind of attack. But he acknowledged it was their duty to do so.

The bombings raise many questions, but one thing is clear - the nature of these attacks has changed. According to observers in Benghazi, the initial attacks on government institutions were part of a power struggle with local extremist groups.

People are increasingly asking who backs these groups. Accusations in recent days have focused on the Muslim Brotherhood and the state of Qatar - denied by both.

Monday's attack has left a bitter sentiment among the people of Benghazi. They are angry and on the streets. The transitional authorities cannot dampen their fury by promising protection that they cannot provide in the birthplace of the Libyan uprising.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock