News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WI Red Army competence in 1941?

Started by Queequeg, June 23, 2013, 01:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

QuoteBut no purges?? I wouldnt even base a discussion on that. You would be better off with just saying Stalin was not in the picture and going from there.
This is pretty much exactly that.  Either Stalin is somehow restrained, or he's a completely different character.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

11B4V

Quote from: Queequeg on June 23, 2013, 06:07:21 PM
QuoteBut no purges?? I wouldnt even base a discussion on that. You would be better off with just saying Stalin was not in the picture and going from there.
This is pretty much exactly that.  Either Stalin is somehow restrained, or he's a completely different character.

Ah
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Queequeg

WI Hitler was rational/the Nazis didn't want to exterminate entire populations is a pretty common alternative history question, but the opposite-what if the USSR wasn't the horrifying monster it was in the Interwar period-seems at least as interesting to me.  However, I think for the purposes of this thread it makes sense to go in a middle-way between a rational USSR and the historical reality; if not for the Moscow-derived Social Fascist policy I think it's not entirely clear how the NSDAP takes power in Germany in the first place. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Kleves

Quote from: The Brain on June 23, 2013, 04:16:00 PM
If there's no downside to your scenario then what's the interest? Especially if Germany attacks anyway. Germany loses a bit quicker than historically. Yay?
Seems like the kind of goofy scenario some die-hard Russian nationalist would come up so he could imagine a future where his country wasn't shit (not that Spellus had that intent).
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

PDH

This seems to be a Timmay "What if everything was good for the Soviets" type of scenario.  Given that Stalin was Stalin, I can't see such things happening.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on June 23, 2013, 06:21:36 PM
This seems to be a Timmay "What if everything was good for the Soviets" type of scenario.  Given that Stalin was Stalin, I can't see such things happening.
Okay, then let's remove Stalin from the picture after the rise of the Nazis.  Assume a slightly more competent, less murderous leadership that is still anti-NEP and attempts the collectivization of agriculture and forced economic development of Siberia. 
Seems like the kind of goofy scenario some die-hard Russian nationalist would come up so he could imagine a future where his country wasn't shit (not that Spellus had that intent).
I think the USSR would have ended up with control over all of Central Europe.  I think that would have pretty dramatic consequences for the Cold War.

Also, all plausible scenarios where Russia isn't total shit today in my mind begin with the mass murder of the Bolsheviks in 1917. The implication of this is that the USSR gets to metastasize deeper in to Western Europe. 

PDH

So you are positing a "Stalin dies in 1935" scenario?  I think the chaos in the Soviet Union might be worse.  Stalin did force industrialization in the 30s as well as killing a lot of the people he believed were against him.  A divided and less industrial Soviet Union would be even worse off - Stalin at least had the cult of personality to rally the nation to him.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on June 23, 2013, 06:35:18 PM
So you are positing a "Stalin dies in 1935" scenario?  I think the chaos in the Soviet Union might be worse.  Stalin did force industrialization in the 30s as well as killing a lot of the people he believed were against him.  A divided and less industrial Soviet Union would be even worse off - Stalin at least had the cult of personality to rally the nation to him.
Shitty leadership lead to loss of most of the European USSR and the loss of a lot of industrial centers.  On balance, a USSR capable of defending itself in 1941 with a slightly less developed pig iron industry seems a fair trade. 

PDH

Quote from: Queequeg on June 23, 2013, 06:38:59 PM

Shitty leadership lead to loss of most of the European USSR and the loss of a lot of industrial centers.  On balance, a USSR capable of defending itself in 1941 with a slightly less developed pig iron industry seems a fair trade.

Not sure.  After the initial idiocy of late June and July, Stalin (aside from that little detail of Kiev) provided a backbone that allowed the Soviets to reform and reorganize.  Sure, he was often a hinderance...but something in the Soviet system needed a mean old grandfather like him to get things to work.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on June 23, 2013, 06:21:36 PM

German combined arms doctrine, experience and air power still smokes the Red Army in 1941, regardless of who is in charge.

jimmy olsen

If there's no downside to your scenario then what's the interest? Especially if Germany attacks anyway. Germany loses a bit quicker than historically. Yay?
If the Soviets are doing ok, the US wouldn't extend Lend Lease to them. That would seriously put a cramp in the Soviet ability to launch counteroffensives.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 23, 2013, 07:14:15 PM
If the Soviets are doing ok, the US wouldn't extend Lend Lease to them. That would seriously put a cramp in the Soviet ability to launch counteroffensives.

And this would end up with the US owning much of northern Mexico on your map?
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on June 23, 2013, 07:18:33 PM

No Lend Lease to the Soviets --> Confederate States of America joins the Axis.

PDH

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2013, 07:26:13 PM
Quote from: PDH on June 23, 2013, 07:18:33 PM

No Lend Lease to the Soviets --> Confederate States of America joins the Axis.

Ok, that I see.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Razgovory

The problem in 1941 wasn't as much incompetence in the military, but the isolated position that Stalin put the Soviet Union in.   And his behavior wasn't irrational in this regard.  Britain and France didn't look like good allies with their tacit approval of Franco and the Czech thing.  He miscalculated Hitler's behavior (which everyone did), and he miscalculated how warfare would look in the 1940's.

To really prevent a disastrous 1941 he needs to either be eliminated at much earlier date (like 1918), or betray Hitler in 1940.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017