DoJ to Snowden: Hope your 15 minutes were worth it, pal

Started by CountDeMoney, June 21, 2013, 06:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluebook

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2013, 11:20:13 AM
Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 11:08:20 AM
How do you make information public without informing the nations enemies at the same time?

Well as far as what's been leaked to the media - have any of his revelations actually harmed national security?

Sure, pretty much everything he has leaked is harmful to the continued effort of collecting information without people knowing about it. That surely affects national security.

The Brain

Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 11:21:57 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2013, 11:19:38 AM

I can think of a number of ways.  But one way for sure is to avoid giving them four lap top computers.

Go on. What are the number of ways? How would you give the information Snowden leaked to the public without informing China at the same time?

Clever use of an Onion article.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Bluebook

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 11:23:08 AM
Go on. What are the number of ways? How would you give the information Snowden leaked to the public without informing China at the same time?

:huh: Tell the Guardian.  Don't give your computer to the Chinese.

He has given a computer to the Chinese? Source?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 11:24:01 AM
He has given a computer to the Chinese? Source?

I misread your question.  Retract.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 11:18:54 AM
And what is the difference between a spy and a whistleblower in your opinion?

Intent and action.

frunk

How do you make information public without informing the nations enemies at the same time?

The best way is by not fleeing to one of the nation's enemies and effectively putting yourself at their mercy.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 11:21:49 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2013, 11:20:13 AM
Well as far as what's been leaked to the media - have any of his revelations actually harmed national security?

Presumably towel head bombers will be more careful with their phone calls.

They should already know better. Haven't any of them seen The Wire?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Bluebook

Quote from: frunk on June 24, 2013, 11:30:12 AM

The best way is by not fleeing to one of the nation's enemies and effectively putting yourself at their mercy.
That doesnt really answer the question, since leaking and what you do after that are two different things

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 24, 2013, 11:34:36 AM

It's simply indicative of the entire counter-intuitiveness of the metadata intelligence gathering effort by the National Security Agency that it can be bested by a 46-cent stamp available at your local Post Office.

frunk

Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 11:40:16 AM

That doesnt really answer the question, since leaking and what you do after that are two different things

The problem isn't just what he has said publicly, but also what he hasn't said but knows, and what information he has on his person (including laptops).  By running he's declared to the world that he doesn't plan to go back to the US and his passport is worthless.  That puts him at the mercy of the government of wherever he is.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 24, 2013, 11:51:26 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 24, 2013, 11:34:36 AM

It's simply indicative of the entire counter-intuitiveness of the metadata intelligence gathering effort by the National Security Agency that it can be bested by a 46-cent stamp available at your local Post Office.

Forever stamps, baby! :yeah:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2013, 11:19:38 AM

I can think of a number of ways.  But one way for sure is to avoid giving them four lap top computers.

Method #1 go to a member of whatever congressional or senate (or both) committee has some related oversight responsibility so that they can follow up .

Method #2 if he was certain that no legitimate process could address his concern and he needed to breach his oath (or whatever equivalent American's take in his position) then he could go to a reputable orgnization like the ACLU.

Method #3 leak information to a reputable US reporter who wouldn't drop the ball as badly as the Guardian did.

There are a large number a variations on these themes.  The number 1 thing he should have avoided doing was giving over information to an adversary.

Bluebook

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2013, 12:00:38 PM
Method #1 go to a member of whatever congressional or senate (or both) committee has some related oversight responsibility so that they can follow up .

Not realistic.

Method #2 if he was certain that no legitimate process could address his concern and he needed to breach his oath (or whatever equivalent American's take in his position) then he could go to a reputable orgnization like the ACLU.
In this one, you contradict yourself. If no legitimate process can adress his concern, then the ACLU cannot do anything or spread any information either.

Method #3 leak information to a reputable US reporter who wouldn't drop the ball as badly as the Guardian did.
He did that. He went to Washington Post first. Only when they did not break the news the day they said they would did he go to the Guardian.

Legbiter

Well, if Snowden needs a place to crash I have a spare bedroom. Bobby Fisher's seat at the local Cod's Head has been vacant for too long.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Bluebook on June 24, 2013, 02:16:20 PM
He did that. He went to Washington Post first. Only when they did not break the news the day they said they would did he go to the Guardian.

I see.  He wanted instant gratification and so went with the media outlet who was less careful with the story.  Isnt that the point!