11 (37.9%)
Chase label on the bag?  Oh hells no
18 (62.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2013, 09:17:03 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 20, 2013, 08:42:25 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 20, 2013, 08:22:50 AM
I actually got a windfall out of a bank once, many years ago when I was a broke teen.

Happened like this: I was down to my last few cents and needed cash, fast, for a cab - it was like 2 in the AM and I was drunk and stoned far from home, and on my own, having just vacated a party.

I walked and walked to find a bank machine. They weren't as common then, this was the only one for a long way, on the wall outside a bank. Some guy was ahead of me, using his card. It didn't work. The machine would not give any cash for him. He warned me not to use it, machine was fucked.

But I really, really needed some cash. So I put my card in, thinking maybe it was just his card that was fucked. The other guy stuck around, to see what would happen. I tried to take 20 bucks out.

The machine gave a strange grinding sound, and instead of the 20 bucks, a sort of chewed up wad poked out of the slot. I pulled on this, and it turned out to be a wad of bills. Both of us kept pulling on the wad and the bills kept comming. Some of them were pretty mangled, but in the end we had a few hundred dollars worth.

We just split that cash and took off. There was no question of handing it back to the bank, even though I suppose it would be pretty easy for the bank to find us - it had our card info. Nothing came of it, though.

No one is watching those camera feed.

:huh:

But it is being recorded, and once there is a problem they can go back and look at the recording.  I see ATM CCTV footage all the time.

You dirty dirty man.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

I actually got a windfall out of a bank once, many years ago when I was a broke teen.

Happened like this: I was down to my last few cents and needed cash, fast, for a cab - it was like 2 in the AM and I was drunk and stoned far from home, and on my own, having just vacated a party.

I walked and walked to find a bank machine. They weren't as common then, this was the only one for a long way, on the wall outside a bank. Some guy was ahead of me, using his card. It didn't work. The machine would not give any cash for him. He warned me not to use it, machine was fucked.

But I really, really needed some cash. So I put my card in, thinking maybe it was just his card that was fucked. The other guy stuck around, to see what would happen. I tried to take 20 bucks out.

The machine gave a strange grinding sound, and instead of the 20 bucks, a sort of chewed up wad poked out of the slot. I pulled on this, and it turned out to be a wad of bills. Both of us kept pulling on the wad and the bills kept comming. Some of them were pretty mangled, but in the end we had a few hundred dollars worth.

We just split that cash and took off. There was no question of handing it back to the bank, even though I suppose it would be pretty easy for the bank to find us - it had our card info. Nothing came of it, though.

But it is being recorded, and once there is a problem they can go back and look at the recording.  I see ATM CCTV footage all the time.

Is there a lot of problems?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 20, 2013, 09:21:30 AM

Most commonly it's people using stolen bank cards.  Rarely there's a robbery or the like.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Don't ever use those non-bank ATMs you find in shitty convenience stores or standing next to Cal in gas stations.  They're not subject to the same internal controls on privacy as banks are with the Bank Secrecy Act, and they are very popular with the Russian mob.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2013, 09:27:11 AM
Don't ever use those non-bank ATMs you find in shitty convenience stores or standing next to Cal in gas stations.  They're not subject to the same internal controls on privacy as banks are with the Bank Secrecy Act, and they are very popular with the Russian mob.

The ones in strip clubs are ok though right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2013, 09:28:27 AM
The ones in strip clubs are ok though right?

CASH FOR MOOSE AND SQVIRREL.

DGuller

I wouldn't risk jail over trifle amounts.

DGuller

You should have offered to split the loot 80-20, under threat of turning over that cash to the bank.

Jacob

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2013, 09:32:11 AM

Yeah if it was 100 million dollars cash or something...that would be something to think about.  Not sure how I would transfer that much cash money to Switzerland though.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2013, 09:25:05 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 20, 2013, 09:21:30 AM

Most commonly it's people using stolen bank cards.  Rarely there's a robbery or the like.

Oh dumb criminals.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2013, 09:33:52 AM

Yeah if it was 100 million dollars cash or something...that would be something to think about.

Trifle amounts don't always get noticed.  Trifle amounts wind up in the P&L ledger as a write-off and are forgotten. 
But 100 million dollars, somebody will chase you round the Moons of Nibia, and round the Antares Maelstrom, and round Perdition's Flames before they give it up.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2013, 09:33:52 AM

Yeah if it was 100 million dollars cash or something...that would be something to think about.  Not sure how I would transfer that much cash money to Switzerland though.

In your pocket maybe.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Actually just donate to charity. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.