Museum in Germany displays Jew-in-the-box

Started by Syt, April 05, 2013, 12:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2013, 07:46:51 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 05, 2013, 07:25:06 AM
Manufacturer outrage is manufactured.  A doctoral student?  Puh-leeze.
I think it has to do more with putting a minority in a box, on display to answer questions for the curious public.
Exactly.  Manufactured outrage from insular retards.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

I think it has to do more with putting a minority in a box, on display to answer questions for the curious public.

If it's fully consensual, so to speak, I don't really see anything wrong with it. The form of it (glass box, display) is meant to be provoking and some my find it to be in a poor taste, but there is nothing particularly outrageous there. The content (answering questions from the public) is, imo, fully kosher (pun intended) and serves an educational purpose.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 05, 2013, 08:08:04 AM

If it's fully consensual, so to speak, I don't really see anything wrong with it. The form of it (glass box, display) is meant to be provoking and some my find it to be in a poor taste, but there is nothing particularly outrageous there. The content (answering questions from the public) is, imo, fully kosher (pun intended) and serves an educational purpose.

I think it might be fine - though still questionable if this was a lecture series of some sort on specific topics regarding to Jewish life.  Having a person sit as an object on display as a portrayal of an exotic minority and having them answer questions including those about racial stereotypes is objectionable. It doesn't matter if the participant doesn't mind.

And to have a line of text underneath that reads "Are there still Jews in Germany?" <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

The shop of the Jewish Museum Vienna has in their window several books, including one about the actress Hedi Lamarr. I want to go inside and write under the title, "It's Hedley. <_<"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.