News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tropico 3

Started by Zoupa, June 16, 2011, 10:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on June 19, 2011, 03:36:10 PM
Twice I have started playing, aiming for a Sendero Luminoso/Khmer Rouge land of peasants. But I just can't find the energy to continue.

For the 360 there is an achievement called "Iron Fist" where you have to pretty much do that to earn it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 02, 2011, 01:39:21 PM
I never seem to get much done with tourism on my islands. By the time I'm ready to start the tourism industry up, the urban sprawl from my industry and tenements means there's no pristine, tourist-friendly areas left.

Some islands are better for it than others.  I always leave beach property open for hotels, tourist attractions, etc.  The thing I always had trouble with was getting someone to work at the pyramid ruins-- either they'd leave shortly after they filled the position or the job would just stay empty the whole game.  I even built them a nice house nearby & made sure there were other accessible amenities-- no dice.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Rather than making a new thread I thought I would say this here.

Tropico 4= pretty much just Tropico 3.5

Not much new at all. The interface is different, graphics shinier, a few new buildings and missions are different but otherwise....its so darn similar.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Tropico 3 was basically just Tropico 1 (2011 edition).
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zoupa

I played a grand total of 2 hours of Tropico 3. Money well spent  :glare:

DGuller

Quote from: Zoupa on September 01, 2011, 11:46:00 PM
I played a grand total of 2 hours of Tropico 3. Money well spent  :glare:
Wow, you played through the campaign three times?  :o

Razgovory

If I were to spend my well earned Quatloos which would should I get.  Tropico 3 or Tropico 4?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2011, 05:12:51 PM
If I were to spend my well earned Quatloos which would should I get.  Tropico 3 or Tropico 4?

I haven't played either, but from reviews and talk-on-the-street T4 isn't anything more than a T3 with upgraded graphics and textures and T3 isn't much more than the original Tropico with upgraded graphics and textures.  Anyone whose opinion I trust says the first game is still the best and likely very much cheaper than either of the remasters.  If you want one of the new ones I suppose you need to decide which is more important: shiny graphics or shiny coins in your pocket.

Habbaku

Tropico 3 is, like, $5 or something these days on Steam and very much worth getting.  I can't vouch for 4 yet, but the extra features do look like they fix some issues I had with 3.  Being able to actually import goods is potentially very huge.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on September 12, 2011, 12:03:01 AM
Tropico 3 is, like, $5 or something these days on Steam and very much worth getting.  I can't vouch for 4 yet, but the extra features do look like they fix some issues I had with 3.  Being able to actually import goods is potentially very huge.

Except that the people's republic already provides for the proletariat.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

3 improves on the first one quite a bit, the 3D view is more than just prettines, it makes placing buildings in the game better too. Combined with the bigger islands its a huge improvement, no longer are you quite so pressed for space.
4....it does improve on 3 but not be $20 or however much more it is worth. Especially if you're taking 3 with its addon.
██████
██████
██████