Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Thatcher was to blame for the Falklands.
Did a reform person say that? Really weird broken clock moment.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Given they've been escalating from blaming Thatcher for the Falklands to abolishing the benefit scrounging royals, I'm just glad you've already protest voted :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

QuoteSlightly enjoyed the Reform candidates

But you find Jonathan Pie dangerous. :p

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on June 20, 2024, 05:37:34 PMThatcher was to blame for the Falklands.
Did a reform person say that? Really weird broken clock moment.

It's sad when people turn on true heroes for political expediency :(

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

:lol: Unfinished sentence.

(Although I'd be more tolerant of Jonathan Pie if he ran for election.)
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Watching this Guardian report from Surrey, makes me think the uncertains in polls will vote Tory: https://youtu.be/T7PTpv4Lv_o?si=HGT7h81UBHeKJ9W2

Those people in the video "uhm ohh I don't know" - they are tribal Tories who KNOW that no decent person would vote for them. But on the day in the booth, they won't be able to make themselves vote anyone else. I know their kind from the Fidesz voters - "well who else can you vote on?"

Sheilbh

Yeah my suspicion has always been that undecided will swing Tory because if they're undecided at this point (when 25% of their 2019 vote have gone to Labour and Lib Dems and 10-15% are going to Reform) you're really left with pretty core Tory voters.  That they're undecided at all is not great for them. Although that could be wrong - I think about 30% has broadly been seen as the floor for one of the big two parties of government unless apocalypse. But it's been a very, very long time since the Tories were round 30%.

Although I should say the overwhelming majority of Tory voters are absolutely decent people (and I'm not necessarily anti-tribalism, as someone who is, perhaps, a little tribally anti-Tory....). They're opponents not enemies.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Farage confirms Reform are indeed the shit eater party.

BBC News - West provoked Ukraine war, Nigel Farage says
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cldd44zv3kpo

I'm glad I wrote slava ukraini next to the reform candidate on my voting paper.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

The alternative to undecided persons voting Tory is them staying home.

PJL

Quote from: Josquius on June 21, 2024, 12:53:16 PMFarage confirms Reform are indeed the shit eater party.

BBC News - West provoked Ukraine war, Nigel Farage says
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cldd44zv3kpo

I'm glad I wrote slava ukraini next to the reform candidate on my voting paper.

So going after the Owen Jones / George Galloway tankie vote then...

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on June 21, 2024, 01:06:03 PMThe alternative to undecided persons voting Tory is them staying home.
Yeah. I think many will.

I think that's also probably Sunak's strategy - can he at least get them to turn out because converting people who've already swung will be tough.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

So thinking more on the planning stuff - what would you say the actual practical solution is?

Seems the problem is we've a large mass of regulations which on the surface are perfectly fine and hard to disagree with individually; protect the bats, don't poison ground water, etc.... But which as a collective just add up to it taking forever to get anything done and provide a lot of ammo for bad faith actors to block things altogether.

How does the likes of France manage this? - they do get stuff built but at the same time they traditionally seem to have managed to kept decent compact cities (changing these days) and a good environment.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on Today at 06:19:25 AMSo thinking more on the planning stuff - what would you say the actual practical solution is?

Seems the problem is we've a large mass of regulations which on the surface are perfectly fine and hard to disagree with individually; protect the bats, don't poison ground water, etc.... But which as a collective just add up to it taking forever to get anything done and provide a lot of ammo for bad faith actors to block things altogether.

How does the likes of France manage this? - they do get stuff built but at the same time they traditionally seem to have managed to kept decent compact cities (changing these days) and a good environment.

There must be foreign examples to look at.

In Hungary, for example, building projects can be designated as "strategically important" and get to skip most of every checks and regulations. So then you make sure you get Orban's family in on the deal and you get this designation and off you go.