News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languages

Started by Eddie Teach, September 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you fluent in any foreign languages?

Yes, but only English
13 (19.4%)
Yes, in addition to English(which isn't my native tongue)
18 (26.9%)
Yes, and English is my native tongue
13 (19.4%)
No, English only
22 (32.8%)
No comprendo(the Jaron/IKK option)
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on September 06, 2009, 06:18:08 AM
Besides Spanish and Galician, my mother tongues, and English, I'm fluent in Italian, can understand Portuguese pretty well, and remember a little bit of French from High School.

Since Galician is a dialect of (Northern) Portuguese or vice versa according to Galician nationalists, that's quite an understatement. Al-Gharb al-Andalus may see or hear things differently though.

As for me

Portuguese & French at native level.
Fluent English & Castillan
Some basic German (living in Frankfurt right now).

Good enough Latin for Nuntii Latini ;) 

Berkut

Fluent in English.

Useless in anything else. Probably worse than useless.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 09, 2009, 03:08:23 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 06, 2009, 06:18:08 AM
Besides Spanish and Galician, my mother tongues, and English, I'm fluent in Italian, can understand Portuguese pretty well, and remember a little bit of French from High School.

Since Galician is a dialect of (Northern) Portuguese or vice versa according to Galician nationalists, that's quite an understatement.

Only the nutters say that, and I think that bleak reality proves them very very wrong.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on September 09, 2009, 03:19:55 PM

Only the nutters say that, and I think that bleak reality proves them very very wrong.  :P

Should I have said some Galician Nationalists instead ?  :D

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 09, 2009, 03:24:19 PM

"A few" would have been even better.  ;)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on September 09, 2009, 04:38:37 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 09, 2009, 03:24:19 PM

"A few" would have been even better.  ;)

Como queiras Galego  :D

Ideologue

Quote from: Monoriu on September 07, 2009, 07:13:02 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2009, 03:39:07 PM

I wonder, would it be possible to learn to read Chinese without speaking a word of it?  I.e., just translating "random squiggly bullshit ideogram #82" as "house"?

Of course you can.  But learning Chinese is much more difficult than that  :P  Primarily because you cannot translate "random ideogram #82" as "house".  It is more like when #28 is combined with #74, they  mean "house", but when #28 is used together with #17, they mean "river".

This explains why China lost the Korean War. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on September 07, 2009, 06:59:23 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2009, 05:57:53 PM
Although I was able to understand the countdown in Russian when I watched 2010 last night, and knew what they were saying a few times.
Why would you want to understand a language less graceful and more evil than the Black Speech of Mordor?

:lol:

When I was still considering a grad program in history, passable Russian seemed like a good idea, since I wanted to deal with Soviet history.  As it stands now, I don't have the time to learn a language, if I ever really possessed the inclination, but I might come back to it one day, since it could be conceivably useful as a lawyer.  Russian would be a neat language to know if I dealt with international disputes--which are no doubt frequent, since, as I'm sure I don't have to tell you, the Russian has no concept of law. :P

In seriousness, I find Russian to be actually be a rather a pretty language.  All the sh's and ya's and whatnot.  Cyrillic looks cool, too.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)