Grieving mother meets deceased child in VR

Started by Syt, February 11, 2020, 12:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2020, 03:56:29 PM
I was thinking that if, God forbid, something horrible were to happen to one of my children if I would want something like this...I think it would just be too painful.

Yeah, I think I agree.

I don't have any children and have never lost one, but there are other loved ones I've lost that I'd give almost anything to be able to talk to once again.  But this doesn't let you actually talk to them;  you might as well hire an actor to pretend to be them.  It almost seems self-delusional.

alfred russel

It would give you a chance to interact with historical characters...you could tell Lincoln not to go to Ford's Theater, Napoleon to rethink the invasion of Russia, Jesus to keep an eye on Judas, Dan Marino to take Super Bowl XIX seriously, and Cleopatra to sleep with you.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Syt on February 11, 2020, 12:36:39 PM
https://futurism.com/watch-mother-reunion-deceased-child-vr

https://youtu.be/uflTK8c4w0c

QuoteWatch a Mother Reunite With Her Deceased Child in VR

Would you want to see a deceased loved one again — in a virtual world?

In 2016, Jang Ji-sung's seven-year-old daughter Nayeon died of an incurable disease. Three years later, the South Korean mother was reunited with Nayeon — sort of — in a virtual world created for a televised documentary.

On Thursday, the Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation shared a clip from the special documentary, titled "I Met You," on its YouTube page, with the footage cutting between the "real world" and the virtual one.

In the former setting, Jang stands in front of a massive green screen while wearing both a VR headset and what appear to be some sort of haptic gloves. In the latter, she and her daughter talk, hold hands, and even have a birthday party complete with a lit cake.

The VR reunion is, as you might expect, extremely emotional. Jang appears to begin crying the moment she sees the virtual Nayeon, while the rest of the family — Nayeon's father, brother, and sister — watch the reunion unfold with somber expressions and the occasional tear.

"Maybe it's a real paradise," Jang said of the reunion in VR, according to Aju Business Daily. "I met Nayeon, who called me with a smile, for a very short time, but it's a very happy time. I think I've had the dream I've always wanted."

According to Aju Business Daily, the production team spent eight months on the project. They designed the virtual park after one the mother and daughter had visited in the real world, and used motion capture technology to record the movements of a child actor that they could later use as a model for their virtual Nayeon.

All that to say: the process might not be simple and the final product might not be perfect, but we now have the technology to recreate the dead in VR — convincingly enough to move their loved ones to tears.

And the implications of that are impossible to predict.

It may have taken an entire team of experts to produce "I Met You," but how far can we be from a platform that lets anyone upload footage of a deceased love one and then interact with a virtual version of that person? Years? Months?

And what sort of impact will that have on the grieving process? Will seeing a loved one in VR help people find closure and move on following a death? Will some people become addicted to this virtual world, spending more and more time in it and less and less in the real one?

And will it stop with VR? Or is this just the first step to androids designed to mimic our dead loved ones in both appearance and personality, like in the "Black Mirror" episode Be Right Back?

Several startups are setting the groundwork for that future, compiling data about people both living and dead so they can create "digital avatars" of those people. Other companies are already building robot clones of real people.

The key to a VR reunion being a positive thing — that is, more like a twenty-first century take on flipping through a photo album and less like that "Black Mirror" episode — appears to be in the living person fully accepting their loved one's death.

"Since you know the person is gone, you accept the virtual equivalent for what it is — a comforting vestige," Princeton neuroscientist Michael Graziano told Dell Technologies in December. "There is nothing wrong or unethical about it."

Perhaps regulation is necessary. Rather than letting startups offer the public the chance to interact with virtual versions of their dead loved ones — undoubtedly at a cost — maybe we can make the technology available only to people who've submitted to a screening with a psychologist.

It's hard to say what might work as the opportunity to interact with convincing versions of the deceased in VR is decidedly uncharted territory — but now that we've officially entered that arena, we have a lot of questions we need to answer as soon as possible.

it reminds me of Caprica.  Didn't end well...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

No one mentions Tony Stark doing this in Civil War where he meets his dead parents?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 11, 2020, 11:39:46 PM
No one mentions Tony Stark doing this in Civil War where he meets his dead parents?
and his daughter doing it many years later.  In a deleted scene, though.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

I... don't know how I'd feel about this. My son was barely an infant when I lost him 23 years ago, and I still remember that moment with absolute clarity. I still wonder about the "what-ifs", the "maybes".

Would I want to see him as an infant, to hold him again? Yes, of course, but there's no holding in this thing. Would I want to see what he may have looked like at 23, how he would have acted, who he would have been? Sure, but that's just as strong in my imagination as any VR could be.

But for someone who's lost a child with a personality, a personhood already on display, I can see this being a healthy way to say good bye if they hadn't the chance before. And the article is careful to point out that this should probably be highly regulated and people should maybe be screened by a psychologist prior to using it.

It's going to be a tough world coming up.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on February 12, 2020, 12:42:37 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 11, 2020, 11:39:46 PM
and his daughter doing it many years later.  In a deleted scene, though.

Really? That from Endgame?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37