And we're back!

Main Menu

And In Other News ....

Started by mongers, April 03, 2020, 09:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Venezuela navy 0 - Cruise Ships 1

Venezuela navy vessel sinks after 'ramming cruise ship'

A Venezuelan navy coastal patrol boat sank in the Caribbean after allegedly ramming a cruise ship that it had ordered to change direction.

The owners of the Portuguese-flagged RCGS Resolute said the naval vessel Naiguata also fired shots in an "act of aggression in international waters".

The collision left the cruise ship, which has a reinforced hull for sailing in icy waters, with only minor damage.

Venezuela accused the Resolute of an act of "aggression and piracy".

It also said it "did not rule out" that the cruise ship "was transporting mercenaries to attack military bases in Venezuela".

President Nicolás Maduro has previously accused the United States and other countries of plotting to overthrow him.

The incident took place near La Tortuga Island, a Venezuelan federal dependency, on 30 March.

Columbia Cruise Services, which operates the Resolute, said the cruise ship had been carrying out routine engine maintenance in international waters more than 13 nautical miles (24km) from La Tortuga.

A statement from the Hamburg-based company said that shortly after midnight, the Naiguata radioed the Resolute, questioning its intentions, and ordered the captain to follow it to a port on Isla Margarita, to the east.

Hopefully no sailors were injured or missing because of their 'superiors' stupidity.

Full story here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52151951

The thread could be a place for non-coronavirus news items to distract some of us?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

QuoteIt also said it "did not rule out" that the cruise ship "was transporting mercenaries to attack military bases in Venezuela".

I mean I guess anything is possible Venezuela :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Cat rescued after day on top of electricity pole near Peterborough

A cat spent 24 hours stuck at the top of a 9m (30ft) electricity pole between two live cables before being rescued.

The RSPCA was called to Farcet, near Peterborough, on 1 April by local residents, who saw him run up the pole to escape a dog the day before, but had hoped he would come back down himself.

The charity said the cat is believed to be semi-feral, lives in outbuildings and is well-known to people in the village.

Insp Steve Reeves said: "Once he was safely down from the post, I checked the cat over for any bumps or scrapes, but as he seemed to be in good health, we released him back to his little kingdom."

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-52143272/cat-rescued-after-day-on-top-of-electricity-pole-near-peterborough

English village life being centred on the important stuff.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on April 03, 2020, 10:15:58 AM

A cat spent 24 hours stuck at the top of a 9m (30ft) electricity pole between two live cables before being rescued.

The RSPCA was called to Farcet, near Peterborough, on 1 April by local residents, who saw him run up the pole to escape a dog the day before, but had hoped he would come back down himself.

The charity said the cat is believed to be semi-feral, lives in outbuildings and is well-known to people in the village.

Insp Steve Reeves said: "Once he was safely down from the post, I checked the cat over for any bumps or scrapes, but as he seemed to be in good health, we released him back to his little kingdom."

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-52143272/cat-rescued-after-day-on-top-of-electricity-pole-near-peterborough

I was taught that English village life was centred on committing and solving elaborate murders.

TV lied to me!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

KRonn

Quote from: Malthus on April 03, 2020, 02:01:15 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 03, 2020, 10:15:58 AM

I was taught that English village life was centred on committing and solving elaborate murders.

TV lied to me!

:D

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 03, 2020, 02:12:54 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 03, 2020, 02:01:15 PM
TV lied to me!

And yet you keep going back for more.

He'd rather go on hearing those lies than go on living without tv.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?