News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Copa América 2024

Started by FunkMonk, June 19, 2024, 05:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Euros have been fun but real football starts tomorrow in the good ole USA I must admit. 

It ain't football without blatant diving, wrongfully disallowed goals, a missed penalty, and three red cards per team.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 19, 2024, 05:47:23 PMEuros have been fun but real football starts tomorrow in the good ole USA I must admit. 

It ain't football without blatant diving, wrongfully disallowed goals, a missed penalty, and three red cards per team.

Uruguay, Panama, and Bolivia are going down!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

So not Euro 24 at all, but I don't think I'd get much traction with a separate thread...

Canada plays in the Copa America tournament today - against Argentina.

(and to tie it back to Euro - the winner of Copa America will play the winner of Euro).

There is not a hot chance in hell that Canada is going to beat Argentina today of course.  I can think back fondly on the day when Canada beat Mexico as part of the World Cup qualifiers (right here in Edmonton!), but since then Canada went 0-3 in the World Cup and has lost our manager.  We still have Alfonso Davies (also from Edmonton!) so at least there's that.

But really - as I understand it, as long as we don't get blown out by Argentina, if we can then beat Peru and Chile then we have a chance at moving on.

This hopes, but at least it's something.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2024, 10:50:55 AMBut really - as I understand it, as long as we don't get blown out by Argentina, if we can then beat Peru and Chile then we have a chance at moving on.

I'll give you credit for being an eternal optimist, Beeb.

I remember this time two years ago, you were saying "if Canada can maybe get a tie against the old Croatians and they should beat Morocco, then they will qualify." And I said, it's not going to happen.

Canada is not THAT good Beeb. I don't know as much about South American football. But I'm pretty sure Chilie is a better team. Not sure about peru.

Also Canada is in a bit of a rebuilding stage now. New coach has said his goal is to get this team ready for 2026.

So, in short, I'm not the optimist you are. But I can also hope
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on June 20, 2024, 04:37:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2024, 10:50:55 AMBut really - as I understand it, as long as we don't get blown out by Argentina, if we can then beat Peru and Chile then we have a chance at moving on.

I'll give you credit for being an eternal optimist, Beeb.

I remember this time two years ago, you were saying "if Canada can maybe get a tie against the old Croatians and they should beat Morocco, then they will qualify." And I said, it's not going to happen.

Canada is not THAT good Beeb. I don't know as much about South American football. But I'm pretty sure Chilie is a better team. Not sure about peru.

Also Canada is in a bit of a rebuilding stage now. New coach has said his goal is to get this team ready for 2026.

So, in short, I'm not the optimist you are. But I can also hope

I said "there's a chance".

As compared to playing Argentina - which as much of an optimist as I might be, there's zero chance we're beating the Argies.

HVC

Believe in the power of own goals :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Looks like canada is keeping Argentina at bay.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

[ :) quote author=HVC link=msg=1445011 date=1718931017]
Looks like canada is keeping Argentina at bay.
[/quote]

:)

No score at the half.

Valmy

Just need to hold out until the Argie own goal. Sort of like their electing of Javier Milei.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

FunkMonk

How shit do you have to be to let Julian Alvarez score on you

Valmy

Jonathan David is no Connor McDavid.

FunkMonk

Valmy

Good try, good effort Canada.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on June 20, 2024, 09:08:44 PMA respectable 2-0 score.

Yeah I;ll take that result.

Duque de Bragança

Sorry, but it gets a little too confusing in the EURO 2024 thread.

Mods, please move the relevant American content over here. I am sure it will get some traction. :)
I hear Brazil is not great, with some telenovela happening behind the scenes. :D