2 (8.3%)
0 (0%)
3 (12.5%)
0 (0%)
3 (12.5%)
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Martinus

The question is what the philosophy behind the post is (and yes, I know that noone really knows that yet). If he is supposed to be a functionary, akin to the German President, with no real power or influence, then indeed anyone in the list except Blair is good.

If he is supposed to be the mover-and-shaker and the "face", then Blair is the only guy recognisable and everybody else would suck.

Zanza

Quote from: Alatriste on October 31, 2009, 04:55:03 AMFear keeps the local systems in line, Moff' said (Moff Tarkin).
Not really. Unlike some real federations (e.g. Germany, USA), the EU can't used force to keep its members in line. The only thing they can do is withholding funds. Not exactly a death star. ;)

The EU is built almost entirely on consent.

Zanza

I think the best candidate would be Barroso. Why have two head honchos? It would even be possible to have the presidents of the commission and of the council be the same person according to Lisbon. He's also already reasonably well known as the face of the EU.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on October 31, 2009, 05:22:21 AM
Quote from: Alatriste on October 31, 2009, 04:55:03 AMFear keeps the local systems in line, Moff' said (Moff Tarkin).
Not really. Unlike some real federations (e.g. Germany, USA), the EU can't used force to keep its members in line. The only thing they can do is withholding funds. Not exactly a death star. ;)

The EU is built almost entirely on consent.

Actually, withholding of funds is a very effective stick.

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2009, 05:27:57 AMActually, withholding of funds is a very effective stick.
Not against the net payers. They can do the same. ;)

Alatriste

Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2009, 05:09:49 AM
The question is what the philosophy behind the post is (and yes, I know that noone really knows that yet). If he is supposed to be a functionary, akin to the German President, with no real power or influence, then indeed anyone in the list except Blair is good.

If he is supposed to be the mover-and-shaker and the "face", then Blair is the only guy recognisable and everybody else would suck.

Basically right, but IMHO you go too far. At the very least 4 and 6 (González and Vike-Freiberga) would make an impression and could perfectly become the movers-and-shakers.

Besides (and I'm reluctant to employ American equivalents, but they are perhaps the most suitable) I think the Union is not looking for a Roosevelt, Theodore or Franklin, or a Wilson but a Washington. Someone able to do the work of Bismarck without blood, thunder and iron.

@Zanza

That was a joke...  :P

The complete quote is:

General Tagge: But that's impossible. How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?
Governor Moff Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.

Regarding Barroso, it's a possibility, but the system was conceived to have Barroso as the equivalent of a prime minister or head of government, the new president as the equivalent of a head of state (but not along German lines, because the president will chair the meetings of European leaders, making him far more important if the right person is chosen) and the head of the new European Foreign Office as the Minister of Foreign Affairs (incidentally, the presidency is getting too much attention and this new position too little - having a Common Foreign Office designing an European policy is potentially far more revolutionary than having a president that could become a mere figurehead)

I have even heard some comments about Blair candidacy being a devious scheme to make easier for Great Britain to reach the real target: getting Milliband to lead the European Foreign Office... and yeah, I see the hand of Sir Humphrey Appleby after the plot.