Somali quiz show, win a AK-47 and a few landmines

Started by Richard Hakluyt, October 20, 2009, 02:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2009, 12:31:32 PM
How about intentional homicides by handguns?

The Somali gameshow did not have any handguns as prizes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

:lol:

That's a pretty torturous line of argumentation Joansky.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2009, 02:50:22 PM
:lol:

That's a pretty torturous line of argumentation Joansky.

The man said "gun and violence issues"

Suicides by gun is a "gun issue".    So are accidential deaths by gun.
Less than half of total deaths by gun are intentional homicides.  Suicide is more common.

So I don't think it is that tortuous to claim that "gun and violence issues" are a particularly urban phenomenon.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Maximus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2009, 03:37:06 PM
Suicides by gun is a "gun issue".   
Perhaps.

Homicide by gun is a "gun issue" as availability of firearms makes it much easier to kill someone. Same could be said for accidental deaths.

Do you really think the availability of firearms affects suicide rates?

DGuller

Quote from: Maximus on October 20, 2009, 03:43:06 PM
My belief is that it does, although I haven't seen any statistical studies to that effect.  If you have a suicidal urge, having a gun near you makes it easy to act on it before it passes.  It also makes it easier for a suicide attempt to succeed.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2009, 03:37:06 PM
The man said "gun and violence issues"

Suicides by gun is a "gun issue".    So are accidential deaths by gun.
Less than half of total deaths by gun are intentional homicides.  Suicide is more common.

So I don't think it is that tortuous to claim that "gun and violence issues" are a particularly urban phenomenon.
Fine.  But what was all that nonsense about no handguns awarded in Somali Final Jeopardy?

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2009, 03:46:55 PM
Quote from: Maximus on October 20, 2009, 03:43:06 PM
My belief is that it does, although I haven't seen any statistical studies to that effect.  If you have a suicidal urge, having a gun near you makes it easy to act on it before it passes.  It also makes it easier for a suicide attempt to succeed.

Just because a gun is specifically designed to kill things is no reason to believe that more people are killed because there are lots of guns around!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2009, 03:52:29 PM
Fine.  But what was all that nonsense about no handguns awarded in Somali Final Jeopardy?

Requesting sense of humor reboot.
--Joan Robinson

Maximus

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2009, 03:52:47 PM
Just because a gun is specifically designed to kill things is no reason to believe that more people are killed because there are lots of guns around!
Not sure the point you're trying to make here.

I can't be sure, not having ever commited suicide myself, but I would think that if one wanted to kill one's self and no gun was available one would find other methods. And if one didn't really want to kill one's self but just to send a message/scare people etc, there are plenty of less drastic methods to do it than swallowing a bullet.

DGuller

Quote from: Maximus on October 20, 2009, 03:58:03 PM

I can't be sure, not having ever commited suicide myself, but I would think that if one wanted to kill one's self and no gun was available one would find other methods. And if one didn't really want to kill one's self but just to send a message/scare people etc, there are plenty of less drastic methods to do it than swallowing a bullet.
Yeah, but while you're tying that perfect knot, you might start having second thoughts.  With a gun, your thoughts would already be sprayed all over your room. 

Also, I'm sure there have to be plenty of people who have an undiagnosed depression, and after their first unsuccessful attempt to kill themselves, they get the help they need, and stop trying to kill themselves.  With a gun they would never have that chance.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2009, 04:02:02 PM
Quote from: Maximus on October 20, 2009, 03:58:03 PM

Yeah, but while you're tying that perfect knot, you might start having second thoughts.  With a gun, your thoughts would already be sprayed all over your room. 

Haven't been married myself.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2009, 03:53:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2009, 03:52:29 PM

Requesting sense of humor reboot.

?File Not Found
Ready.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maximus

Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2009, 04:02:02 PM

Also, I'm sure there have to be plenty of people who have an undiagnosed depression, and after their first unsuccessful attempt to kill themselves, they get the help they need, and stop trying to kill themselves.  With a gun they would never have that chance.
Yea I meant to say that's a good point.

The pitbull attack had me distracted.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2009, 12:35:23 PMOn the other hand, does anybody actually believe that gun ownership saves more lives from preventing murders than it takes by making accidents or suicides more likely? 

Maybe not, I dunno.  But I really don't care if people blow their own brains out, it shouldn't prevent me from owning a gun.

Never owned a gun and hopefully never will though, if I lived somewhere where I thought I needed one I'd do my best to move.