News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on May 23, 2024, 05:32:33 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2024, 05:29:38 AMSo the Jews being conniving assholes to troll the critical performers into oblivion which culminated in two third-parties having an incident is more likely than the Dutch performer simply being a violent asshat?
Why do you keep coming back to Jews?
It is possible to hate someone being a dick whilst that person is Jewish, black, gay, or whatever, without it being related to any thoughts about that group.

All evidence does suggest it was more than the Dutch guy who was upset. He's just the one who snapped.

Because all my life I have encountered people who always found that Jewish conniving was the most likely explanation to any random thing. It's the default stance for many. So it takes a lot of convincing to convince me that's the actual case in any given incident.

Sheilbh

But he snapped at Swedish production staff working for the national broadcaster running the show.

As I say from everything I've read, I can't really see what the Israelis have to do with it. It seems like it's putting two unconnected things together.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

QuoteBecause all my life I have encountered people who always found that Jewish conniving was the most likely explanation to any random thing. It's the default stance for many. So it takes a lot of convincing to convince me that's the actual case in any given incident.
As I've said before, anti-semitism, or even the practical existence of Jews, was just a non-existing concept in my life until I first saw South Park. Its just not something that when I was a kid at least (doubtless different post Corbyn and all that mess) factors into most people's thinking either way around my way.
I don't think this is too abnormal in the UK in general that the "Jews did it" is not a remotely typical go-to. Catholics now....

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 23, 2024, 05:41:16 AMBut he snapped at Swedish production staff working for the national broadcaster running the show.

As I say from everything I've read, I can't really see what the Israelis have to do with it. It seems like it's putting two unconnected things together.

I've seen some mention it was an Israeli woman with a camera phone.
We have seen certainly that the Israeli broadcasters were up to a lot of hijinks backstage. The explanation that this led to several contestants asking not to be filmed backstage seems fairly solid- where it gets hazy is then that someone, whether Swedish or Israeli, then ignored the request whether maliciously or innocently, and prompted an angry reaction.
This actual final event is a minor part of the whole sequence.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

The EBU and Dutch broadcaster both said it was a member of the Eurovision production staff - which is the national broadcaster, broadly. A camera was broken and the police investigated and handed it to the prosecutor. As I say I've seen nothing indicating a connection with Israel - or the behaviour of their team.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on May 23, 2024, 05:49:18 AMAs I've said before, anti-semitism, or even the practical existence of Jews, was just a non-existing concept in my life until I first saw South Park. Its just not something that when I was a kid at least (doubtless different post Corbyn and all that mess) factors into most people's thinking either way around my way.
I don't think this is too abnormal in the UK in general that the "Jews did it" is not a remotely typical go-to. Catholics now....

Maybe you encountered it, but didn't recognize it.  This was taught to us in school at a young age, is that not the case in Britain?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2024, 05:38:07 AMBecause all my life I have encountered people who always found that Jewish conniving was the most likely explanation to any random thing. It's the default stance for many. So it takes a lot of convincing to convince me that's the actual case in any given incident.

You know growing up I never really experienced or saw the "Jews are conniving and responsible for a grand conspiracy" kind of thinking.

But I certainly ran into the "Jews are cheap/tight/shysters", and the use of the word "jew" as a verb (as in "yeah he really jewed me down in price" was not unheard of.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

I mostly, though not frequently, experienced the cheap stereotype too.

What jews control everything conspiracy I experienced was mostly in Languish as a running theme early on (I think it was a malthus gag  :Joos ) :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Actually, thinking it over, the all jews are rich thing came up, probably tied to being cheap sterotype. A lot having to do with the "hidden" enclaves of Jewish neighbourhooods in Toronto.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

In adult life I have encountered the Jews are cheap thing.
Though honestly I am not sure whether this is the existing stereotype floating around or the facts around our Heredis, setting themselves up in one of the  cheapest places around.

Also worth noting being cheap and getting bargains isn't considered a particularly terrible quality amongst northerners, unless you're on the receiving end of course.
██████
██████
██████