Started by garbon, August 23, 2016, 06:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2016, 02:03:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2016, 12:19:32 PM
Quote from: dps on August 23, 2016, 12:16:52 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2016, 12:11:17 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 23, 2016, 11:36:48 AM
students will still get drunk when they feel like it, and the law still says they have to be 21 to buy booze.

Actually it is illegal to drink booze under any circumstances unless you are reporting on other minors drinking booze. So really Stanford should have had them all arrested.

Should be easy enough to get around that law.  Get drunk with a bunch of your friends, and then you all snitch on each other.

Actually I think it is with regards to snitching because of medical emergency. So all get totally wasted and call an ambulance together.

Anyway, of no practical matter given that no one gets reported to the police at Stanford for underage drinking.

Also, Beebs, apparently I had quite the criminal past. :D

Sound like misdemeanours, not crimes. :contract:

QuoteWhile misdemeanors carry fewer punishments than felonies, like felonies, they stay on your criminal record for life — which means that misdemeanors can show up on background checks. That said, whether or not your misdemeanor will show up on your background check is entirely dependent on how thorough the check is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2016, 10:11:02 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2016, 10:08:41 AM
Do people over 18 have legal guardians in the US?

Their parents.

And (to explain why universities care about this stuff) universities are also considered to be in loco parentis to their students.

No that is not the reason Universities in the US are concerned about it.  Universities are not considered to be in loco parentis.    I think you are confusing that with the duty owed by elementary and high schools.  It would be very odd for a university to owe that duty to adults  ;)

What is really driving this is recent legislative changes in the US which put positive obligations on Universities to deal with the issue.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2016, 02:06:32 PM
QuoteWhile misdemeanors carry fewer punishments than felonies, like felonies, they stay on your criminal record for life — which means that misdemeanors can show up on background checks. That said, whether or not your misdemeanor will show up on your background check is entirely dependent on how thorough the check is.

Bullshit. An expungement is still an expungement. 
Now, if you were fingerprinted at the time of arrest, that's different:  fingerprint records, which are forwarded to the FBI, they don't get expunged.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 25, 2016, 09:26:00 PM

No that is not the reason Universities in the US are concerned about it.  Universities are not considered to be in loco parentis.    I think you are confusing that with the duty owed by elementary and high schools.  It would be very odd for a university to owe that duty to adults  ;)

What is really driving this is recent legislative changes in the US which put positive obligations on Universities to deal with the issue.

Back before the 1960s they really used to. They had curfews with adults who regulated life in the dormitories. It was especially stringent, as you might expect back in the day, for the women.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2016, 09:43:14 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 25, 2016, 09:26:00 PM

Back before the 1960s they really used to. They had curfews with adults who regulated life in the dormitories. It was especially stringent, as you might expect back in the day, for the women.

Which certainly puts a different perspective on the notion that kids these days are slower to mature.