A County in Tennessee Is So Broke It Shut Down School, blames Obamacare

Started by jimmy olsen, October 14, 2015, 08:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

What a crock of shit.  :mad:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/14/a-county-in-tennessee-is-so-broke-it-shut-down-school.html

A County in Tennessee Is So Broke It Shut Down School

In Clay County, Tennessee budget woes are so severe that school has been closed until a resolution can be met. And the Director of Schools is blaming Obamacare.

The economy is so bad in Clay County, Tennessee that school is canceled indefinitely.

The decision to ebb budget concerns by shutting academic doors came down on Thursday when Clay County Director of Schools Jerry Strong quite literally decided to lock the doors of the county's schools. He was particularly concerned with partially unfunded government mandates and what he believed to be the effects of Obamacare making it impossible to keep funds in the green.

"Clay County's inability to generate the revenue to offset the mandates is what's caused this to come to a head," Strong said Thursday. "The straw that broke the camel's back was really the Affordable Care Act for us and it has made it very difficult for us to have our employees properly covered and meet the mandates of the law. That was going to require new revenue and the commission felt like they couldn't do that through a tax increase."

Clay County is, thankfully, a small district in northern Tennessee with three schools including kindergarten through eighth grade and high school. In total. some 1,150 students are affected by the school closure, which Strong hopes to fix by November.

According to the State Education Department, students are required to attend class for 180 days a year so any time missed to fix the budget crisis may have to be made up once school is supposed to end.

Strong's cavalier actions are not supported by everyone in the county.

County Commissioner Parrish Wright alleges that the district has enough money to make it through to the end of the school year, which would be a much more logical time to address the budget.

"Either way it goes, Clay County has lost," Wright said. "Nobody's won."

For Strong, who hasn't responded for a request for comment from The Daily Beast, the issue simply cannot wait.

"The choice was to either close schools and deal with this now, or keep schools open and spend ourselves until we have nothing in our fund balance at all," he told the Greenfield Reporter.

But the schools can't remain locked for long. The state could come in and urge Clay County to raise the property tax before the end of the year or simply have them use the remaining budget in their coffers to keep school open for students to take the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program tests.

Strong is just biding his time until school administrators and county officials can figure out a plan to stop treading water before it's too late.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

What a tool, maybe they should throw him in the county look-up for each day of schooling the 1150 children miss due to his politicking.   :rolleyes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

1,500 students, missing out on a month's worth of classes on intelligent design.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on October 15, 2015, 09:13:07 AM
1,500 students, missing out on a month's worth of classes on intelligent design.  :(

'Science cannot explain stuff. So proof that God did it. Class dismissed.'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

It's an interesting argument from the guy in charge of spending the education fund that an unacceptable choice is to spend the educational fund on education by deciding to "keep schools open and spend ourselves until we have nothing in our fund balance."  Which is more in keeping with his job:  educated kids but no money, or money but no educated kids.

Wasn't the moron bureaucrat clerk who wouldn't do her government job unless she was allowed to force her religious views on everyone in her county also just next door in Kentucky?  Maybe there are moron bugs in the water around there. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2015, 10:28:55 AM
Wasn't the moron bureaucrat clerk who wouldn't do her government job unless she was allowed to force her religious views on everyone in her county also just next door in Kentucky?  Maybe there are moron bugs in the water around there.
I wouldn't say "just next door"... about 200 miles away. :sleep:  However, there are more county clerks than just her resisting, and one of them is in Simpson County, KY IIRC, which is literally just north of Clay County across the state line.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2015, 12:08:33 PM
I wouldn't say "just next door"... about 200 miles away. :sleep:  However, there are more county clerks than just her resisting, and one of them is in Simpson County, KY IIRC, which is literally just north of Clay County across the state line.

Hoping for their book deal and fame.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2015, 12:15:28 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2015, 12:08:33 PM

Hoping for their book deal and fame.

Too bad for the book deal that in the future no-one in Tennessee will be literate!  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017