News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you buy extra vacation?

Started by alfred russel, November 14, 2014, 03:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

You get 3 weeks vacation...you can buy 1 more week for 1.92% of your pay. What do you do?

Buy it. I'm lazy and don't want to work.
9 (36%)
Buy it. I'm European and believe in taking vacation (note: this option is redundant with option 1).
10 (40%)
Don't buy it. I just surf the net at work, and that is probably what I'd do on vacation anyway. I'd rather be paid for it.
4 (16%)
Don't buy it. Work and money fill the void that is my life, so please don't take both from me.
2 (8%)
Does not compute. JiB does not offer paid time off (Jaron option)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on November 15, 2014, 04:18:33 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2014, 04:12:57 AM
By the way, is this 1.92% of your monthly pay or annual pay?
If it was monthly pay the only rational thing to do would be to take four weeks extra per month and just work another job while still getting 90% of your salary.

Then like hell I wouldn't do it. That's a lot of money.

Martinus

Essentially, the question is "would you take a week of unpaid holiday?" Why would you unless you had a pressing reason?

Monoriu

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2014, 09:03:14 AM
Essentially, the question is "would you take a week of unpaid holiday?" Why would you unless you had a pressing reason?
Some of us work to live, not vice versa. If you need a "pressing reason" for vacation, you are doing it wrong.

Sheilbh

My last job I got 5 weeks (6 counting Christmas) which seems to be the norm. I don't need anymore so I wouldn't.

If I only had three weeks then yeah.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

I get 4 weeks and two days, plus the week of Christmas off.  I have a hard time using that amount up.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on November 15, 2014, 09:25:07 AM

Some of us work to live, not vice versa.

Others of us press on for no reason other than inertia.  :bowler:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2014, 10:44:02 AM

Yeah and that's a trap though. Time is not money. Time is way more valuable than money.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2014, 09:03:14 AM
Some of us work to live, not vice versa. If you need a "pressing reason" for vacation, you are doing it wrong.

My point was that I have enough vacation I get on the basis of my contract. I don't need extra unpaid vacation.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2014, 09:26:02 AM
My last job I got 5 weeks (6 counting Christmas) which seems to be the norm. I don't need anymore so I wouldn't.

If I only had three weeks then yeah.

I get 26 working days (not counting public holidays). I wouldn't take extra unpaid vacation.

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 15, 2014, 02:33:56 PM

Yeah and that's a trap though. Time is not money. Time is way more valuable than money.

I think it depends on the money.  ;)

Zanza

My contract stipulates that I can take three months of unpaid vacation every five years. I consider doing that and using my airline miles for a round-the-world ticket. No pressing reason other than the wish to experience new stuff. I don't really need the money for anything, whereas I always love travelling, especially for longer stretches.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2014, 02:39:45 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 15, 2014, 02:33:56 PM

I think it depends on the money.  ;)

Money allows you the freedom to do more things.  To do things you need time. Without time there is no point to having money. 

Martim Silva

Quote from: derspiess on November 14, 2014, 05:11:24 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 14, 2014, 04:33:37 PM
At least you're doing your part for the company.

And they're further rewarding me by letting me pick something out of the 10 Year Anniversary section of the catalog!!  What should I go for-- the one person tent, tiny portable electric "grill", a previous generation video game console, or a programmable coffee maker*??

*I haven't actually seen that section yet; just speculating on the lameness

What are you complaining about?  :huh:

Over here, the rewards are:

10 Years - Jack shit.

20 years - Jack shit and sarcastic remarks by management that you're in the company for a long time.

30 years - Jack shit and stares at the 'geezer' that's still working in the same company.