News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

AAR: Life and Death in Skyrim

Started by Syt, November 18, 2014, 02:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Watching some of Briarstoned's roguelike playthroughs on YouTube inspired me to return to the game. My official playtime according to Steam was 44 hours before that - not exactly much, and I hadn't even seen half the game.

Anyways, I always liked the Elder Scroll games more as an RPG sandbox and less for the main quests. Check out Briarstoned's videos; I recommend especially his Nezark series, where he plays a boy thief, and his current series about a mentally unstable assassin on the hunt for "interesting" souls for his collection. The series can be slow sometimes (especially the "get to know" RP background episodes), but a decent watch.

Anyways, over the weekend, I've actually spent some time modding the game, using the Mod Organizer (it's come a long way since I last tried it over a year ago). This is not intended as a mod discussion, and I'm not 100% sure everything is installed as it should be, but it works well enough as per the test runs I did. Most notably I added Frostfall (for hypothermia), a needs&diseases mod (so I have to eat/drink/sleep), and the Duel combat mod plus Dance of Death. Other than that it's mostly a few graphical/immersion enhancements, the interesting NPC mod, and adding more encounters and diversity. Again, please no mod discussion here; we have a Skyrim thread for that. :)

What are my game rules? I use the Random Alternate Start mod that lets you create a character either by class or skills, add a semi-random starter kit (or none), and then drops you in one of 400+ spawn points that can be either safe or extremely perilous.

I'm not going to play by rogue-like rules (i.e. one death and you have to start over), but I'll be going "rogue-lite", because I suck. :P What does it mean? I give myself 5 lives, subtracting one each time I die. When I reach 0 the character is dead. I will mark the deaths in the AAR such: (X) Afterwards, I will start a new character, if I feel like it. I'm using the "Take Note!" mod to pre-write the AAR in game, so I can more easily keep notes, and it also adds useful date stamps.

Life and Death in Skyrim.

Part 1: Mellicus Davianus.

Mellicus Davianus is a mage from the college in Chorrol. He has mastered a bit of destruction magic, but his fellow students always thought he was a bit strange, because he always felt uncomfortable wearing robes into combat and preferred something more sturdy.

When word arrived of the civil war in Skyrim, he ventured North to see if he could aid the Imperial cause.

---Last Seed, 17th, 4E 201---
I have arrived in Skyrim. Crossing the pass into the land of the Nords was a chilling experience, but finally the terrain is descending again.

I'm looking forward to applying my skills of combat, magic and alchemy to the Impireal cause.
I was attacked by wolves just when I came off the mountain. An alchemist living in the woods came to my aid.
He asked me if I was an Imperial agent. I considered to end his existence then and there - how could he know my intentions; or did he accuse every Imperial coming his way?

A Stormcloak patrol passing on the road a stone's throw from his shack made me reconsider. I listened to the old fool's prattling. He thinks Ulfric is Talos, and he claims that the Emperor Tiber Septim staged his assassination, is a shape shifter, and poses as prostitute Gyna. I've decided to spare this fool's life and commence my journey to Whiterun.

Godrod, the Hammer - conspiracy theorist

I've walked up the mountain pass towards Whiterun, via Helgen. I ran into a group of revelers who shared a bottle of mead with me. Seems that some Nords are quite all right. A bit further up I came across a grisly scene. Imperials and Stormcloaks, all slaughtered. A few surviving Stormcloaks guarded the road.
A shame to lose so many good soldiers to these barbarians. I didn't dare to voice my grief, however.

Death on the road.

A young Imperial had worn a bear pelt that was still clean. The Stormcloaks didn't mind my taking it. The soldier won't need it anymore, but it will remind me of his sacrifice. I hope it well protect me from the cold. I was tempted to take some of the dead soldiers' equipment, but I dare not wear Imperial colors amidst the traitors, and I won't wear Stormcloak gear, either.

The Stormcloaks warned me about going to Helgen. Bandits seem to have taken over the place after a recent calamity. They suggested I turn around and travel via Ivarstead. I scouted down the road a bit till I was in sight of Helgen, but the corpse of one of the revellers I met convinced me to turn back. (X)

I avoided talking to the old fool on my way back.

I am now in Ivarstead. A few wolves attacked me on the road, but they were no serious threat. Unlike a large bear that roamed around the bridge leading into the settlement. Nevertheless, I managed to bypass it. There were more slain Imperials on the road. I fear for the outcome of the war.

Ivarstead is a small town of peculiar people. A reclusive monastery appears to sit atop "7000 steps." I've met a Kajiit who finds the number suspicious and is seeking someone to brave the dangers of the ascent to verify the number. Additionally, there is a barrow that the village folk believe to be haunted. The Nords are skeptical about magic, but they're still surprisingly superstitious. I visited the grave, but I didn't enter the crypt - it would be disrespectful to the dead.

Arriving in Ivarstead.

I will spend the night before pressing on. The road around the mountain will be arduous and not without peril, I presume.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I will await the next update.

So I see there was a death X there. What happened exactly as I wasn't quite sure from the account?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I walked towards Helgen (but still way out of reach of even seeing anyone) and was killed dead by one arrow from someone I didn't even see. It's Operation Flashpoint all over again. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Syt on November 18, 2014, 02:25:04 AM
Watching some of Briarstoned's roguelike playthroughs

What's roguelike about them? Is there some kind of mod?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 19, 2014, 08:42:28 PM

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144587151

And then I guess key part is that AAR ends when character dies for the 1st time.

Syt

There is actually a mod that wipes all your saves when you die. Alas, I'm neither good nor brave enough to make one death count.

Also, updates may be slightly slow, as I'm currently giving Dragon Age: Origins a fresh chance.  :blush:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 19, 2014, 08:42:28 PM

He just uses a collection of mods, yes, but he quits the character the first time he dies.Some make into 10 to 20 hours of gameplay, his very first episode was 13 minutes.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

FWIW, this is the (alphabetical) list of mods I'm using:

Amazing Follower Tweaks
Bandolier - Bags and Pouches
Better Dynamic Snow
Birds of Skyrim
Books Books Books
Brawl Bugs Patch - Plugins - Modder Resource
Character Creation Overhaul 1_3_2-21587-1-3-2
Character Creation Overhaul 1_3_2-21587-1-3-2b
Civil War Overhaul
Climates Of Tamriel 3-1 Night 7 fix
Cloaks of Skyrim
Compass Marker Range
Convenient Horses
Convenient HorsesWeaponDrawDistance
Dead Body Collision Fix
Duel - Combat Realism
Elysium Estate
Elysium Estate-DB
Elysium Estate-DG
Elysium Estate-HF
Enhanced Blood Textures
Enhanced Lights and FX
Expanded Towns and Cities Im. Set. Merged File
Extra Encounters Reborn
Extra Encounters Reborn CSP
FileAccess Interface for Skyrim Script - FISS
Footprints
Frostfall - Hypothermia Camping Survival
Guard Dialogue Overhaul
Hold Border Banners
Immersive Armors
Immersive Patrols
Immersive Weapons
Inconsequential NPCs
Interesting NPCs
Lanterns of Skyrim - All In One
Main Font Replacement
No NPC Greetings
No Spinning Death Animation
Populated Cities
Project Reality - Climates Of Tamriel-V3
Quality Snow HD 4K
RaceMenu
Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons HD
Random Alternate Start
Random Vampire Attacks in Towns Disabled
Realistic Needs and Diseases
Riverside Lodge
Ruins Clutter Improved
Run For Your Lives
SKSE
SKSE.ini
SkyFalls and SkyMills - Animated Distant Waterfalls and WindMills
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures
Skyrim HD - 2K Texturesb
Skyrim HD - 2K Texturesc
Skyrim HD - 2K Texturesd
Skyrim HD - 2K Texturese
SkyUI
Sounds of Skyrim - Civilization
Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons
Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds
Splash of Rain
Static Mesh Improvement Mod
Superior Lore-Friendly Hair - HD textures
Take Notes - Journal of the Dragonborn
The Dance of Death - A Killmove Mod
Thieves Guild Requirements - No Auto Quest Start Brynjolf
Unmanaged: Dawnguard
Unmanaged: Dragonborn
Unmanaged: HearthFires
Unmanaged: HighResTexturePack01
Unmanaged: HighResTexturePack02
Unmanaged: HighResTexturePack03
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
Unofficial High Resolution Patch
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
W.A.T.E.R - Water And Terrain Enhancement Redux
Wearable Lanterns
Wet and Cold
When Vampires Attack
Winter Is Coming - Cloaks
Woodsmans Shack - Ranger or Hunter player home - Roleplaying Homes
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

---Last Seed, 18th, 4E 201---

I have left Ivarstead Northwards. I decided it would be safer to travel alongside the river instead of the road.

Oh, how wrong I was! In front of a cave I was surprised by a troll! I tried to fight it, but my fire magic and sword didn't seem to do much to the creature. I ran, all the way back to Ivarstead where the villagers gathered to slay the creature.

I must have made a sorry sight when I cam running back up the hill. With the creature now slain, I ventured out once more.

In the now abandoned den of the troll I found the corpses of two Stormcloaks. I pilfered what I could use.

In the distance: Windhelm, heart of the Stormcloak rebellion!

I crossed the river to avoid a nasty looking saber cat and followed it along its left bank. When the waters cut deep into the stone, I stayed on the wooded slopes of the mountain. Eventually I came across a winding path leading back down towards the river. I was wary of following it too much, for it was impossible to see what lay beyond the next bend, so i descended the slopes towards a tree that lay across the top of a waterfall.

An accident of nature? Or placed there on purpose? Who could say?

A pair of wolves hunted on the near end of the felled tree, but after a brief fight I found myself in the new possession of two wolf pelts and a silver ring that one of them must have swallowed.

A bandit, on a tree.

A half naked man sat in the middle of the tree. When he saw me he jumped up - he was more nimble than I expected - and nocked an arrow on his bow. I retreated to safe ground and had him taste flame. His charred body fell into the waters below.

How to deal with bandits.

My heart racing, I crossed the tree slowly and carefully.

On the other side was another bandit, this one slain. What had happened? Rivals? Partners that had fallen out? Was that why the other bandit had been so despondent, sitting and watching the waters flowing underneath him?

I shall never know. I did find a fitting suit of studded armor on the slain outlaw, however.

New gear, found on the road.

I was skinning a fox when further on I saw an ancient tomb. Who had it been built for, and when? There was a locked chest hidden nearby, but I know nothing of lockpicking and I didn't want to use force for fear of destroying the content inside.

Steps led down to a road where a bridge crossed the river. It pointed the way to Whiterun, and I decided to follow it for a while. It was past mid-day and I was hoping to find a place to rest for a quick meal.

To my distress there was an old, decrepit watchtower ahead. There were armed folk guarding the bridge, but from afar it was impossible to tell their intentions.

I snuck closer. I was slightly relieved when I saw what I thought was Stormcloak armor. I hadn't been harrassed by them so far, so I walked straight to the watchtower ...

... and found myself faced with a bandit asking for a "toll" of 200 gold pieces. I looked around, weighing my chances. There were two arrows aimed at me.

I attempted to haggle my way out, but eventually I paid up, and they allowed me to pass.

Eventually I came to what looked like a shrine of worship amidst standing stones. I walked up the worn steps. Candles were burning all around, and a man in black robes was less than pleased to meet me. His hands flickered with magic. I burnt him with fire and eventually pierced him with my blade. Whatever ritual I disturbed, I doubt it was for the benefit of this world.

When I looked up from the necromancer's body, I saw the goal of my day's journey ahead of me - Whiterun! I only needed to follow the road.

Whiterun

I took a deep breath and reminded myself to remain vigilant, even if hearth and bed seemed nigh.

Near the last bridge, there was a group of soldiers. My heart jumped when I saw they wore Imperial armor. Then I saw that their leader was an ork. And that the other two were dressed in various unrelated pieces of armor.

Naturally, they wanted to levy another toll. I respectfully declined. I tried to take their leader down, but it was difficult to fight him while staying out of the range of his huge axe and dodging the lighting from one of his companions!

I ran as fast as I could towards Whiterun and soon reached the farms on the outskirts. Suddenly, a giant!

Giant attack!

I had heard of those creatures, but seeing them and their impressive stature was humbling. The bandits gave up pursuit at the sight. Thankfully, a group of warriors struck down the giant, and finally my way into the city seemed free.

I reached the city gates at dusk. I was tired. The guard mumbled something of "official business" and "dragons". I just wanted my quiet, so I paid him off and finally entered town. I asked someone for the nearest tavern and they pointed me to the Bannered Mare. I had my supper and then rented a room to retire for the night. I would explore the city some on the following day.

The Bannered Mare in Whiterun. Rustic, but cozy.
—Stephen Jay Gould

sbr