The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Since I rock a government-issued phone I'm kind of stuck on them for phone upgrades.

Yesterday I learned by iPhone 8 plus (which came out in 2017, discontinued in 2020) is not too old to receive the latest iOS version, and thus I'm getting a new phone.

So now I have an iPhone 13 on order.  :)

Unfortunately back when I got my 8 Plus, the government would allow you to spend your own money to get an upgraded phone (I normally would have just been issued an 8, but paid extra for the 8 Plus).  We've changed providers since then and it is no longer an option.  Too bad - I would have paid for a 13 Pro Max.  At least the 13 looks to be almost the same size as my 8 Plus.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

HVC

For the best. Last thing we need is a car to reduces it top speed every time a new version comes out.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2024, 05:07:06 PMFor the best. Last thing we need is a car to reduces it top speed every time a new version comes out.

It was always such a weird project - and the longer it went on, and the more other car's electric cars were developing, it was harder to see where Apple would have any room in the industry.

But they must have wasted so much money on this...

Syt

Blizzard was working on an MMO project Titan which was scrapped and bits of it recycled into Overwatch. Now Apple. Note to self: don't name your personal projects "Titan." :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2024, 01:52:06 AMBlizzard was working on an MMO project Titan which was scrapped and bits of it recycled into Overwatch. Now Apple. Note to self: don't name your personal projects "Titan." :P

Nor your warships "Invincible."  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2024, 04:44:38 PMApple's secretive car project, Project Titan, is apparently dead.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/after-a-decade-of-stops-and-starts-apple-kills-its-electric-car-project/

An Apple car is an insane idea.

Though I could see an opportunity in the market for Apple or the like to work on car control panels and front end software that goes into a manufacturer's vehicles.
Both on a level of enhancing individual models and providing promotion for them, and on a broader level of more standardisation.

Though...Apple are the main perpetuator in the modern obsession with touch screen, which research shows is a terrible idea in cars.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2024, 05:26:43 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2024, 05:07:06 PMFor the best. Last thing we need is a car to reduces it top speed every time a new version comes out.

It was always such a weird project - and the longer it went on, and the more other car's electric cars were developing, it was harder to see where Apple would have any room in the industry.

Rumor that Apple might buy rivian
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on March 06, 2024, 06:35:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2024, 05:26:43 PM

Rumor that Apple might buy rivian

Looks like it all comes from one analyst - whi I speculate might be doing so to try and goose the Rivian stock price.

Because it otherwise makes no sense since Apple cancelled their own car project.

HVC

I mean it makes sense in so far that if you can't build you own, but still want to get into the game what option do you have? Somebody high up wanted a applemobile for it to drag along for 10 years.

But seeing how it's only one guy it's pretty unlikely

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on March 07, 2024, 04:03:43 PMI mean it makes sense in so far that if you can't build you own, but still want to get into the game what option do you have? Somebody high up wanted a applemobile for it to drag along for 10 years.

But seeing how it's only one guy it's pretty unlikely

Well the thing is - Apple has enough cash they could buy any number of car companies - $195 billion.

GM would only cost them $45 billion.  Ford is $49 billion.  Toyota maybe not - $409 billion.

But you get my drift.  Buying Rivian for $12 billion, when they only delivered 50,000 vehicles, doesn't make a lot of sense (unless you thought their tech was worth something extra special).

(I should note I just googled "total market value" for each company.  Obviously a buyout would come with a premium.  And a lot of Apple's cash is sitting in low-tax jurisdictions and couldn't easily be used, but it is still available at some cost)

HVC

Fair enough. For the best. Apple focusing on cars seemed weird. Though I suppose people said the same thing about phones  :lol:

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on March 07, 2024, 05:11:36 PMFair enough. For the best. Apple focusing on cars seemed weird. Though I suppose people said the same thing about phones  :lol:

I think that's the thing for Apple.  They've had such massive hits like the Mac or the iPhone, they've been chasing more ever since.  Plus they have so much money it's not enough just to make incremental improvements to their existing products.

HVC

The iplane. Muscle in on boeings bad PR :P

Grey Fox

Apple loves buying company as a talent acquisition mechanism.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.