News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: grumbler on February 07, 2024, 06:17:35 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 07, 2024, 10:21:40 AMIsrael's position is there is no Palestine, I take it you agree with that?

That is not "Israel's position!"   :lmfao:   That's like saying "Israel's position is that there is no Sinai."  Israel's position is that there is no nation-state called Palestine, that's all.

This is a good example of a post better left untyped. It was abundantly obvious no one was talking about the general geographic/historical region.

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 07, 2024, 06:25:56 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 07, 2024, 06:17:35 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 07, 2024, 10:21:40 AMIsrael's position is there is no Palestine, I take it you agree with that?

That is not "Israel's position!"   :lmfao:   That's like saying "Israel's position is that there is no Sinai."  Israel's position is that there is no nation-state called Palestine, that's all.

This is a good example of a post better left untyped. It was abundantly obvious no one was talking about the general geographic/historical region.

It is abundantly clear that you are either bad at writing down your thoughts or bad at thinking them, if the best you can do when they are refuted is say that you didn't mean what you wrote.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Sometimes reading your posts makes me wish I still drank.

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 07, 2024, 07:02:21 PMSometimes reading your posts makes me wish I still drank.

Reading your posts, sometimes I also wish you still drank.

Just take the L and drop it.  First Law of Holes and whatnot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 07, 2024, 04:08:55 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 07, 2024, 12:58:38 PMI think there's also a strand where "Israel-Gaza war" justifies greater destruction in Gaza, which is convenient for those who hope to displace the Gazan population even if they can't quite own that desire in public due to political concerns. But taking territory from a defeated state is relatively common.

Yes that is another way to frame the issues rhetorically.
But incoherent in this context.  Israel doesn't need to frame the conflict as an inter-state war to take territory; it already has jurisdiction over the territory and has since '67.  No one who actually cares or whose mind hasn't already long been made up is going to think that this war gives any greater legitimacy or staying power to the Israeli occupation of territories occupied in the 67 war.

Why do you think Israel continues to deny that its intention then is to reoccupy?  At least publicly. There are slip ups from time to time where cabinet ministers, latter labeled as not speaking for the government, say that that is exactly the intention.

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 07, 2024, 03:55:54 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2024, 03:27:10 PMAh the last refuge of the weaker argument.

Yeah because this thread has been civil until now, and hasn't been exemplified by your bad behavior for months.

You may want to reflect on the fact that you were the one who first accused the people who don't agree with you as being low IQ.

You might also want to reflect on how you reacted to Grumbler's effective parody of your post.  That's right, you made yet another personal attack.

It sure looks like you have one go to move for dealing with people who fundamentally disagree with you. And it is not to act in a civil way.

Josephus

Now I understand why P'dox shut down their Israel-Hamas/Gaza thread  :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 08, 2024, 08:30:00 AMWhy do you think Israel continues to deny that its intention then is to reoccupy?  At least publicly. There are slip ups from time to time where cabinet ministers, latter labeled as not speaking for the government, say that that is exactly the intention.

The simple answer is because Netanayhu's coalition has no consensus, and Netanyahu going too far into specifics will exacerbate those tensions. I don't just mean his war cabinet, his base coalition that brought him to power does not have consensus. The real hardliners are talking about reducing Gaza's population to a few hundred thousand and sending everyone else to Egypt and Jordan.

A reimposition of the Israeli military governorate (from pre-1994) would be seen as a disaster by probably his entire coalition, and accepting any form of Palestinian rule would be entirely unacceptable to the hardliners.

He has no real option to get very specific without pushing tensions. Netanyahu's only realistic move is likely to hold elections at some point in 2024 to try and get a stronger position in the Knesset which will give him more political room to work--of course polling suggests he may get drubbed if he does that. He also has to worry about his personal criminal cases more if he loses an election.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 08, 2024, 08:35:25 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2024, 03:27:10 PMAh the last refuge of the weaker argument.

Yeah because this thread has been civil until now, and hasn't been exemplified by your bad behavior for months.

You may want to reflect on the fact that you were the one who first accused the people who don't agree with you as being low IQ.

You might also want to reflect on how you reacted to Grumbler's effective parody of your post.  That's right, you made yet another personal attack.

It sure looks like you have one go to move for dealing with people who fundamentally disagree with you. And it is not to act in a civil way.

I haven't seen you maintain a civil tongue in basically any thread in years, keep your lectures to yourself.

PJL

Netanyahu is in a unique position at this point. Most politicians like to get out of the quagmire that large scale military interventions bring but Netanyahu is actively wanting to prolong it in Gaza in order to defer any difficult political decisions.

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 08, 2024, 10:25:50 AM

I haven't seen you maintain a civil tongue in basically any thread in years, keep your lectures to yourself.

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 08, 2024, 10:25:50 AM

I suppose we could speculate as to why you suffered from that inability, but no good would be accomplished.

crazy canuck

Quote from: PJL on February 08, 2024, 11:42:11 AMNetanyahu is in a unique position at this point. Most politicians like to get out of the quagmire that large scale military interventions bring but Netanyahu is actively wanting to prolong it in Gaza in order to defer any difficult political decisions.

Yeah, in is an interesting bind, Hamas presented a no win situation to even the best of Israeli leaders.  There was no good military option, including doing nothing.  But Netanyahu is far from the best of Israeli leaders and Hamas is getting a big PR win.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 08, 2024, 03:10:53 PMYeah, in is an interesting bind, Hamas presented a no win situation to even the best of Israeli leaders.  There was no good military option, including doing nothing.  But Netanyahu is far from the best of Israeli leaders and Hamas is getting a big PR win.

It is really hard to make yourself look like the nastier alternative to Hamas, but Netanyahu was not deterred and accomplished that for Israel.

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Side news but I found it interesting..
Ireland vs Israel in women's basketball. Ireland want to boycott but can't. Israel goes off it calling them anti semitic :bleeding:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/basketball/68243979.amp

██████
██████
██████

HVC

Irelands protest would have meant more if they won. Can't go in riding your high horse and lose. Looks bad.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.