News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Valmy - Today at 04:42:40 PM
Seizing control of a building is not really a "peaceful" protest. Having said that the small army of cops being sent in in many of these situations strikes me as bad optics.
Last post by Savonarola - Today at 04:20:16 PM
Quote from: Tamas on Today at 07:32:28 AMI haven't been following these protests at all, but was it really that impossible to just let them sit there and get bored? Were they preventing access to buildings?

The protestors had barricaded themselves into the building and weren't letting anyone in (or, at least for a time, out; a custodian was trapped in there for a few hours.)  I assume the university didn't want to risk further damage to the building or liability.
Last post by The Minsky Moment - Today at 04:18:09 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on Today at 01:48:50 PMOnly Trump can stand up to the Bolshevik.

Can't fight a Bolshevik with a Bullshitvik.
Off the Record / Re: 2024 US Presidential Elect...
Last post by Jacob - Today at 04:16:02 PM
That sounds like a reasonable hypothesis.
Last post by grumbler - Today at 03:28:37 PM
Michael Sandel on How to fight populism

I think that he makes a pretty compelling case for what causes populism (a shift to demeaning those without college degrees) and its solution (reinforcing policies and values that recognize the dignity of labor).  He borrows MLK Jr's analogy that garbage collectors prevent more diseases than doctors and should be recognized for their efforts.  Not with money, but with respect and acknowledgement.
Off the Record / Re: Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-2...
Last post by Jacob - Today at 03:21:11 PM
Yeah, if those patriots show up in Ukraine - and soon - that'd be grand.
Last post by Valmy - Today at 03:13:33 PM
Yeah I am tired of hearing about Trump. I wish he would just go away.

But then I felt that way around 1988 or so.
Last post by grumbler - Today at 03:11:09 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on Today at 02:21:59 PMMy sense is that it's, once again, the media focusing on something stupid rather than something important.

Agreed.  The only utility to such reports would be to show the impact of age on Trump, but that's not the message.  The media fixation on reporting every last detail about Trump is what got him elected in 2016 and nearly elected in 2020.
Last post by grumbler - Today at 03:07:09 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on Today at 01:48:50 PMOnly Trump can stand up to the Bolshevik.

We must not allow a mineshaft gap!
Last post by celedhring - Today at 02:26:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on Today at 02:17:12 PM
Quote from: celedhring on Today at 02:11:11 PMI think it's obvious the aim of the protesters is not to influence Israel's foreign policy, but rather the US'. And that's a far more realistic expectation.

But is it their aim?  And even if it is, is that aim that realistic?

Like I said I can see how university protests might try to modify university policies ala BDS - but I'm not so sure how it would influence Joe Biden in the White House.

Well, it's an election year. The whole "uncommitted" movement did seemingly have an effect, so I can see how this also might. Chaos makes the incumbent look bad.