News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Real problem with cancel culture

Started by viper37, July 12, 2020, 10:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

My guess, Sheilbh, is that some of the participants refused to play ball when it came to keep or bring it in-house.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 10, 2022, 03:26:49 PMI meant it's madness in that the entire situation just got wildly out of hand. I think this is also an overreaction just as Weigel's suspension was.

The reason it got wildly out of hand is that Sonmez told her bosses to fuck off when they repeatedly told her to stop publicly attacking fellow employees.  I think that a one-month suspension would have been a better move, with the lifting of the suspension conditional on her agreeing to not attack Post employees publicly.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

chipwich

Quote from: grumbler on June 10, 2022, 10:57:27 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 10, 2022, 03:26:49 PMI meant it's madness in that the entire situation just got wildly out of hand. I think this is also an overreaction just as Weigel's suspension was.

The reason it got wildly out of hand is that Sonmez told her bosses to fuck off when they repeatedly told her to stop publicly attacking fellow employees.  I think that a one-month suspension would have been a better move, with the lifting of the suspension conditional on her agreeing to not attack Post employees publicly.

I can't think of any other job where publicly attacking a co-worker and telling the boss to fuck off when warned about it would not result in immediate termination.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 10, 2022, 10:57:27 PM

Yeah, she probably made a clearly insubordinate statement along those lines.  Otherwise it would have been very risky to terminate.

grumbler

Quote from: chipwich on June 10, 2022, 11:46:08 PMI can't think of any other job where publicly attacking a co-worker and telling the boss to fuck off when warned about it would not result in immediate termination.

I can think of many jobs where management might understand that a valuable employee has simply lost emotional control and would rather salvage the valuable employee rather than terminating them.  We don't know enough to say whether this was a possibility here or not, but on the surface it seems like this was not the behavior Sonmez usually exhibited. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

chipwich

Quote from: grumbler on June 11, 2022, 12:55:43 PMvaluable employee

There are lots of journalists who are suited to replace her.

FunkMonk

Considering her recent turbulent history with the Post I'm fairly sure they were looking for a chance to let her go at some point. I don't think they imagined it quite like this though  :lol:

Anyway, she got like 112k followers on Twitter. She has a big brand now. She'll be fine.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 11, 2022, 03:36:55 PMAnyway, she got like 112k followers on Twitter. She has a big brand now. She'll be fine.

Is that a lot?

I'm not a big twitter person. But by YouTube standards that's... Decent. Good beer money numbers. But not something to make a full time career or be particularly well known off.

Seems very impressive for a random person but not for someone whose job is to be read.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I dunno, there are youtubers with 40k followers who post daily, I'd assume it's their main job.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Solmyr on June 06, 2022, 02:47:11 AMAre there many examples of people's freedom to speak being majorly impacted by "cancellations"? I have yet to see anyone forced to censor themselves unless they really want to use racist rhetoric without consequences. Heck, many of those "cancelled" are ranting about it in major national media - doesn't seem their freedom of speech was impacted at all.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/06/campus-free-speech-self-censorship/661282/?utm_medium=social&utm_term=2022-06-16T11%3A01%3A56&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_campaign=the-atlantic&fbclid=IwAR3QdmTJ5Jgavne-Hf5PgpEfg-RG7o5v7vayHTDXq5B7iZuo69sHEAMV5K4

QuoteBut the same study also reflects the impression I got from talking with countless students: Although they are keen to discuss big ideas, many fear doing so. Nearly two-thirds of those surveyed agreed that "the climate on my campus prevents some people from saying things they believe because others might find them offensive." This was a significant increase compared with the first time a pollster asked the question, in 2019.

Other recent studies show that students don't just worry that their classmates might self-censor; a great many do so themselves. According to a large-scale survey by the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, four out of 10 students around the country said that they would feel uncomfortable expressing views about "a controversial political topic to other students during a discussion in a common campus space, such as a quad, dining hall, or lounge." Nearly six out of 10 said that they would hesitate to publicly disagree with a professor. More than eight out of 10 reported self-censoring at least some of the time. "Though I hold liberal views," one student at Stony Brook University told the pollsters, "in some topics my views are more conservative and I'm afraid of being labeled something I am clearly not."
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

The bold is my own, since it directly reflects exactly how I feel, and precisely what happens right her on Languish every single time this issue comes up.

QuoteTo a great degree, though, the problem lies outside the classroom. Many students have seen classmates shamed and ostracized after they were "called out" on social media for something supposedly offensive. They know that the small minority of their classmates who enjoy acting as ideological enforcers has outsize power. And they see that their colleges often add fuel to the fire by investigating students for saying something controversial or even encouraging them to denounce one another to an anonymous hotline for "microaggressions." The majority of students, who aren't especially argumentative or ideological, understandably conclude that the most rational response is to hold their tongue.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on June 17, 2022, 10:12:36 PMThe bold is my own, since it directly reflects exactly how I feel, and precisely what happens right her on Languish every single time this issue comes up.

QuoteTo a great degree, though, the problem lies outside the classroom. Many students have seen classmates shamed and ostracized after they were "called out" on social media for something supposedly offensive. They know that the small minority of their classmates who enjoy acting as ideological enforcers has outsize power. And they see that their colleges often add fuel to the fire by investigating students for saying something controversial or even encouraging them to denounce one another to an anonymous hotline for "microaggressions." The majority of students, who aren't especially argumentative or ideological, understandably conclude that the most rational response is to hold their tongue.

Children ostracizing other students? Never happened before 'cancel culture.'
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

When I was in school I remember hearing some girls were goths.
This was a very bad thing.
Meant they were Satan worshippers and killed rabbits for blood sacrifices and god knows what.
Turns out...
They just liked some really crappy teeny pop rock band but to the club music addled (new monkey...) brains of the average kid of my area in the late 90s any music with a guitar made one a goth.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: garbon on June 18, 2022, 02:52:20 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 17, 2022, 10:12:36 PMThe bold is my own, since it directly reflects exactly how I feel, and precisely what happens right her on Languish every single time this issue comes up.

Children ostracizing other students? Never happened before 'cancel culture.'

Yeah, but that was good old American values ostracization, like race or gender,  not this new fangled one based on ideas and values!

;)

I think cancel culture is mainly over blown and blaming the phenomenon on something new actually makes it harder to combat where it's warranted. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

As the author acknowledges, there are considerable flaws in methodology of the polls he cites, which he simply waves away.

But good click bait for those trying to find justification for their views.