Refractory Gauls, or the French politics thread

Started by Duque de Bragança, June 26, 2021, 11:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Putinolatry is indeed a big issue, shared with Zemmour, Mélenchon and the communist candidate.

She has made some progress on the issue though how sincere it is remains to be seen, to say the least.  :hmm:

QuoteLe Pen has changed tack on Russia since the war in Ukraine and said she was "independent" of any foreign nation.

The news conference, designed to present Le Pen as a credible figure on the global stage, was briefly interrupted by a protester brandishing a heart-shaped picture of Le Pen and Putin, who was quickly dragged out by security guards.

Le Pen emphasised that better ties with Russia would also prevent Moscow from becoming too close to China, noting that she was echoing an argument made by Macron in the past.

"This is in the interest of France and Europe but also I think the United States ... which has no interest in seeing a close Sino-Russian relationship emerging," Le Pen said.

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20220413-le-pen-wants-france-out-of-nato-integrated-command-backs-nato-russia-links

She also unsurprisingly supported Macron's pro-Greek stance vs Erdogan's Turkey, unlike self-declared pro-EU and pro-NATO Merkel, if I may add. :whistle:

Ultimately however, French politics are local and Macron's record leaves a lot to desire.

So both have their respective Achilles' Heel.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PJL on April 11, 2022, 02:35:49 PMYou're still thinking in terms of left & right. While the distinction still holds true for moderates, it's not so for extremists (for that is what many Melenchon voters are). Indeed, like Shelf said, left & right is less important these days, and the real faultlines are between moderates & extremists.

That's pretty much my point.  I don't know exactly which issues divide left and right in France, but I think it's moronic to think that fighting "the system" is more important than those issues.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2022, 02:01:18 PM
Quote from: PJL on April 11, 2022, 02:35:49 PMYou're still thinking in terms of left & right. While the distinction still holds true for moderates, it's not so for extremists (for that is what many Melenchon voters are). Indeed, like Shelf said, left & right is less important these days, and the real faultlines are between moderates & extremists.

That's pretty much my point.  I don't know exactly which issues divide left and right in France, but I think it's moronic to think that fighting "the system" is more important than those issues.

We are talking about extremists. Moronic is their whole thing.

Though I do think there'll be a sizable chunk of the far left and far right who are true blue (err brown /red) and would never support the other.
But in the case of the far left there's accelerationist idiocy to consider....
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on April 13, 2022, 10:43:49 AMYeah, please detail which shade of brown you prefer your shirts in.
is everyone to the right of Jospin a fascist?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on April 17, 2022, 02:25:50 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on April 13, 2022, 10:43:49 AMYeah, please detail which shade of brown you prefer your shirts in.
is everyone to the right of Jospin a fascist?

Bad example, Jospin recognised in 2007 that "anti-fascism" in the Mitterand years was theatre.  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niC9Bgyt7PA

So, from Jospin in.  :D

In other campaign news, Marine and Jupiter agree at last on something:

https://www.lemonde.fr/politique/article/2022/04/15/election-presidentielle-2022-emmanuel-macron-et-marine-le-pen-s-accordent-pour-denoncer-les-blocages-de-facultes_6122333_823448.html

Some leftist students are not happy with the run-off candidates, not just Marine, and are using as an excuse to prevent classes and exams.
So Marine and Macro call for an end to it.

Jacob

Allegations by EU's anti-corruption investigation body that LePen - and LePen Sr. and Louis Aliot - has misused hundreds of thousands of Euros in EU funding. A similar accusation was levelled against some Danish politicians a few years back as well - basically EU funds were used to pay for national political events, merchandise, and staffing by pretending it was used for EU purposes.

It'll be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2022, 10:58:02 AMAllegations by EU's anti-corruption investigation body that LePen - and LePen Sr. and Louis Aliot - has misused hundreds of thousands of Euros in EU funding. A similar accusation was levelled against some Danish politicians a few years back as well - basically EU funds were used to pay for national political events, merchandise, and staffing by pretending it was used for EU purposes.

Yeah it would not surprise me at all. I'm not entirely sure it's helpful timing though.

The polling seems to have leveled out again at about 55/45 which is where it was a few months ago. It's still not as comfortable as I'd like, but doesn't seem to be moving. I understand Macron has actually started campaigning properly now. So I suspect a lot will probably wait on the debate - I imagine that Le Pen has practiced and worked on the debate a lot after last time which was a disaster for her. On the other hand that probably means expectations management is tough for Macron's team.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Something similar (fictitious jobs paid by EU money) happened to Bayrou's party as well, ending his short-lived stint as Macron's minister back in 2017 (35 days).

I believe it comes too late to make a difference. Besides, it's no conviction.

Jacob

Yeah, I think it was a pretty common "clever loophole" folks used, and some of those chickens are coming home to roost now.

Zoupa

It's not going to make a difference this late, but it can provide ammo for Macron during the debate.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2022, 10:58:02 AMAllegations by EU's anti-corruption investigation body that LePen - and LePen Sr. and Louis Aliot - has misused hundreds of thousands of Euros in EU funding. A similar accusation was levelled against some Danish politicians a few years back as well - basically EU funds were used to pay for national political events, merchandise, and staffing by pretending it was used for EU purposes.

Going off the UK isn't a good idea with France but, I can only imagine if this happened in Britain that those inclined to support Le Pen would come out with "of course the corrupt EU would say that! They're scared she will upset their gravy train!"

(always the bloody gravy train. No idea where they get this from)
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Politically that is probably the smartest line. "Confident that we'll be vindicated. Convenient that it came out one week before the election" etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

IIRC this is not the first time the EU has accused Le Pen of misuse of public funds from her time as a MEP.

celedhring

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on April 19, 2022, 02:14:04 AMhttps://twitter.com/renaldinhos/status/1516067712333754373

QuoteDavid Mosquera
@renaldinhos
Michael Scott as Emmanuel Macron: a thread

Not very convincing and Michael Scott deserves better.  :P

Already mentioned but a reminder was needed. Pity for the recently deceased actor (lastl February) it came too late.