News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by garbon - Today at 05:12:22 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 05:06:42 AM
Quote from: garbon on Today at 03:16:19 AM
Quote from: HVC on Today at 02:41:22 AM... I guess? Perhaps more worried about the slippery slope of the defence is more accurate? It's a tik tok, so I don't care. Someone is trying to get views, good for them. I guess they get money for it?

That being said just because I don't really care I don't think someone who has a view that the trend is insidious, like say Josq, isn't  wholly without merit.

Ostensibly the point of the 'meme' is to highlight to men the danger that they pose. It isn't to educate women as they already know men are a danger. Trying to spread that recognition isn't trying to 'turn genders against each other' but rather maybe naively hoping that if men are aware, they'll do better.

That's a bit different than saying if someone did so with races. For one, presumably one would be attempting to perpetuate stereotypes about racial minorities. That's leave aside nuances of numbers and proportionality as I'm sure there are cuts that could show what we all know...white people are dangerous. ;)

I'm confused.  Do black men *not* pose a danger that they should be aware of in hopes they change, or they do but the greater good is to not perpetuate a stereotype?

I'm sorry.
Last post by Admiral Yi - Today at 05:06:42 AM
Quote from: garbon on Today at 03:16:19 AM
Quote from: HVC on Today at 02:41:22 AM... I guess? Perhaps more worried about the slippery slope of the defence is more accurate? It's a tik tok, so I don't care. Someone is trying to get views, good for them. I guess they get money for it?

That being said just because I don't really care I don't think someone who has a view that the trend is insidious, like say Josq, isn't  wholly without merit.

Ostensibly the point of the 'meme' is to highlight to men the danger that they pose. It isn't to educate women as they already know men are a danger. Trying to spread that recognition isn't trying to 'turn genders against each other' but rather maybe naively hoping that if men are aware, they'll do better.

That's a bit different than saying if someone did so with races. For one, presumably one would be attempting to perpetuate stereotypes about racial minorities. That's leave aside nuances of numbers and proportionality as I'm sure there are cuts that could show what we all know...white people are dangerous. ;)

I'm confused.  Do black men *not* pose a danger that they should be aware of in hopes they change, or they do but the greater good is to not perpetuate a stereotype?
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 04:39:02 AM
Oh sure but Scotland would be literally part of the country leaving which would very much be waning :lol:

I always read the title as being about break-up - otherwise, I mean the UK's been waning for a very long time.

On Scotland a party activist who is not in any elected office is confident he has the nominations (100 nominations from 20 party branches) to force a leadership campaign. He's a well known figure - been around the party and conference for years and a long-standing critic of the leadership. Obviously he'll lose (but might attract support from party members who are just dissatisfied). Apparently he's a Georgist and Indy fundamentalist :lol:
Last post by garbon - Today at 03:16:19 AM

Off the Record / Re: NHL Hockey thread
Last post by HVC - Today at 02:44:28 AM
Quote from: Sophie Scholl on Today at 02:30:15 AM
Quote from: HVC on Today at 12:00:29 AM:cry:
Series comeback, take game 7 lead, only for a few minutes later tied and lose in OT. Leafs fan experience to a T :lol:
May I interest you in: PWHL Toronto?  :Canuck:

I'm ashamed to say that if the PWHL Toronto team did better then the NHL team it would irk me some :blush: :D

I would be up for watching/following another team. Say Montreal. Or at least giving it an honest attempt. Give me a little bit to grieve and shun hockey as a "stupid game that doesn't matter anyway" to make me feel better though.
Last post by The Brain - Today at 02:41:30 AM
I suspect that a woman has a much higher chance of scaring off a bear than scaring off a man.
Last post by HVC - Today at 02:41:22 AM
Quote from: garbon on Today at 02:36:16 AM
Quote from: HVC on Today at 02:14:07 AM
Quote from: Jacob on Today at 01:49:17 AMHmmm... well... I live in a place where bears are fairly frequent. I can tell you that more women are killed by men every year than are killed by bears. I'd wager that the number of incidents of women having had encounters where they felt threatened or scared by a man's behaviour is orders of magnitude greater than those who've had scary encounters with bears. I think most women have felt endangered by a man at some point in there lives; and if they haven't, they know a women who has. I doubt the same is true when it comes to bears.

Perhaps if you calculated the rate of scary encounters and the rate of murders per encounter, men would be statistically safer than bears due to the large number of encounters. But in terms of absolute numbers men have a much higher impact on women's safety than bears.

It seems only natural that this would impact women's threat perception. And it seems pretty silly to be offended by that, IMO.

My only real qualm, slight as it is, with this reasoning is that if a similar tik tok was produced with ethnicities rather that a human vs bear scenario then similar reasoning could be used to defend it.

We are now worried about the slippery slope of tik tok arguments?

... I guess? Perhaps more worried about the slippery slope of the defence is more accurate? It's a tik tok, so I don't care. Someone is trying to get views, good for them. I guess they get money for it?

Last post by garbon - Today at 02:36:16 AM
Quote from: HVC on Today at 02:14:07 AM
Quote from: Jacob on Today at 01:49:17 AMHmmm... well... I live in a place where bears are fairly frequent. I can tell you that more women are killed by men every year than are killed by bears. I'd wager that the number of incidents of women having had encounters where they felt threatened or scared by a man's behaviour is orders of magnitude greater than those who've had scary encounters with bears. I think most women have felt endangered by a man at some point in there lives; and if they haven't, they know a women who has. I doubt the same is true when it comes to bears.

Perhaps if you calculated the rate of scary encounters and the rate of murders per encounter, men would be statistically safer than bears due to the large number of encounters. But in terms of absolute numbers men have a much higher impact on women's safety than bears.

It seems only natural that this would impact women's threat perception. And it seems pretty silly to be offended by that, IMO.

My only real qualm, slight as it is, with this reasoning is that if a similar tik tok was produced with ethnicities rather that a human vs bear scenario then similar reasoning could be used to defend it.

We are now worried about the slippery slope of tik tok arguments?
Off the Record / Re: NHL Hockey thread
Last post by Sophie Scholl - Today at 02:30:15 AM
Quote from: HVC on Today at 12:00:29 AM:cry:

Series comeback, take game 7 lead, only for a few minutes later tied and lose in OT. Leafs fan experience to a T :lol:
May I interest you in: PWHL Toronto?  :Canuck:
Last post by HVC - Today at 02:19:59 AM
Quote from: Jacob on Today at 02:17:32 AMWhat are you doing up at this hour HVC? Go to bed!

Haha, it was my aunts 91st birthday, and as a general rule Portuguese get togethers tend to go late.