News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

The outside story was this time just to frame the emotional story of the characters after Echo leaving (and the ship getting stolen!); it was also an "it gets worse" type of plot, which I like - and it took them to literally hit rock bottom to sort out their conflicts (and a shimmer of light at the end of the tunnel). Not subtle, but quite appropriate.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

First episode of Mando was a bit of a nothingburger - just Mando going around meeting old pals and failing to recruit them :P. Too many superfluous action scenes (the sea monster, the pirates, etc...) that weren't that interesting.

Favorite bits were the scene with Bo-Katan, and the Children of the Watch initiation rite (again, I didn't like they felt they had to insert an action scene there, it was interesting by itself).

The Larch

It's already out? I thought it'd be later today.  :o

Reading some stuff in preparation for this new season I just learned that both Mando and Grogu appeared in the Boba fett show in the 2nd half of the season, which I couldn't be arsed to finish back in the day. Now I wonder if I should watch it before this Mandalorian new season.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on March 01, 2023, 07:23:24 AMIt's already out? I thought it'd be later today.  :o

Reading some stuff in preparation for this new season I just learned that both Mando and Grogu appeared in the Boba fett show in the 2nd half of the season, which I couldn't be arsed to finish back in the day. Now I wonder if I should watch it before this Mandalorian new season.

Just watch when they were in it. That was best part of that show and in my opinion only part worth watching.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2023, 07:31:12 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 01, 2023, 07:23:24 AMIt's already out? I thought it'd be later today.  :o

Just watch when they were in it. That was best part of that show and in my opinion only part worth watching.

How many episodes were they in?

celedhring

It's pretty much required viewing - they make a passing reference to the events of those two episodes, but it will feel weird if you haven't watched them.

Kinda odd how they insterted those episodes there, but garbon is right that they were the best part of that show  :lol:

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on March 01, 2023, 07:42:21 AM

They appear in episodes 5,6,7 - but I'd say you only need to watch 5 and 6.  Those are essentially a prequel to season 3 of Mandalorian.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 01, 2023, 07:44:26 AM

They appear in episodes 5,6,7 - but I'd say you only need to watch 5 and 6.  Those are essentially a prequel to season 3 of Mandalorian.

Damn, I think I quit the show afer episode 4.  :lol:

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on March 01, 2023, 07:47:43 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 01, 2023, 07:44:26 AM

Damn, I think I quit the show afer episode 4.  :lol:

I think I was about the same! :lol:

OK - will go back and watch ep 5 and 6 before checking out Mando Season 3.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

It's kinda tough for me to care about Mando's quest of the week after having seen Andor.

Also Pedro Pascal's acting is almost irrelevant when a show has you covered head to toe the whole time. Btw how come baby Yoda doesn't talk? He was a jedi apprentice then trained with Luke but he can't talk? I don't get it.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on March 02, 2023, 12:55:31 PMIt's kinda tough for me to care about Mando's quest of the week after having seen Andor.

Also Pedro Pascal's acting is almost irrelevant when a show has you covered head to toe the whole time. Btw how come baby Yoda doesn't talk? He was a jedi apprentice then trained with Luke but he can't talk? I don't get it.
He's a baby.
That his species has highly developed Force skills does not change the rest.  He had to be trained to protect himself and others, or at least Luke tried to.  Yoda was 900 years old and still couldn't talk correctly.  The kid's only 50.  Give him a break!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Yaddle was 477 years and spoke normally. Yoda was just weird.

Grogu is ~50, talking is probably an other 100 years off.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Quote from: Zoupa on March 02, 2023, 12:55:31 PMIt's kinda tough for me to care about Mando's quest of the week after having seen Andor.

Fair enough. To me, both shows scratch two totally different itches. The first two seasons of Mando are imho the best version of Star Wars as a pulpy adventure fantasy since the OT.

The Minsky Moment

Andor was a great show but the Star Wars setting was essentially incidental.  Mando may be not as good as TV, but it's solid and has the Old School Star Wars feel, updated and translated into serial format.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 02, 2023, 02:14:35 PMYaddle was 477 years and spoke normally. Yoda was just weird.

Grogu is ~50, talking is probably an other 100 years off.
Yaddle was a female, doesn't count, for all we know, they are more advanced :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.