News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Not much to say except that it's another great episode. And we finally learn of Val's family. :o And Syril is starting to give off serious serial killer vibes.

Btw, saw a neat comment about last week's episode re: the prison reminiscent of THX-1138.

There's 7 persons at 7 tables in 7 rooms on 7 levels in 7 complexes in the prison. The budget for THX-1138? $777,777 :nerd:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

The whole "what happened on level 2?" mystery is amazingly handled. Man, this show is so great.

Serkis is gonna die, right? I'm taking to his character :(

Habbaku

The unseen horrors that both Andor and Bix are handling are great. Excellently-handled scenes all around. The show has no right being this good.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on November 02, 2022, 04:44:46 PMSerkis is gonna die, right? I'm taking to his character :(

:lol: He's fucking toast.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zoupa

This is definitely (IMO) the best SW show they've made so far. It might be one of the best shows of the year, period.

Now imagine if they had hired those writers/directors for the sequel trilogy... What a waste.

crazy canuck

Wow, that was an amazingly episode.  Writing, acting, depth of characters - this has it all. 

Jacob

Really looking forward to this then... just made it through the slog that was I, II, and III. Next weekend we'll start on VII, VIII, and then IX... then on to the other films, then on to the stand alone films (there are stand alone films, right) and THEN the series....

Habbaku

Yeah, there are the two standalones, though arguably you might be better off watching Andor before Rogue One.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zoupa

Problem is there is a second season of Andor in the works, so Jake might be depriving himself of probably the best SW movie since Empire for a good long while.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on November 02, 2022, 10:30:19 PMProblem is there is a second season of Andor in the works, so Jake might be depriving himself of probably the best SW movie since Empire for a good long while.

I agree

The solution is to watch Rogue before IV and then by the time they get to watching Andor the details will have faded.

FunkMonk

I'm going to have to rewatch Rogue One because I honestly didn't like it when I first saw it.

But now, after Andor, I think I might change mind about that movie.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 02, 2022, 10:36:15 PMI'm going to have to rewatch Rogue One because I honestly didn't like it when I first saw it.

It has taken years, but we finally detected a small flaw in FM

Jacob

My plan is to watch everything in chronological order of release, basically.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on November 02, 2022, 04:44:46 PMThe whole "what happened on level 2?" mystery is amazingly handled. Man, this show is so great.

My only complaint is that the "we release someone and put him back on a different level" seems very obviously flawed. It's not something that's going to stay secret, even if they make up new charges that would keep someone there. Might as well keep them where they are and invent new charges. We learned in the last episode that everyone already on the inside had their sentences extended. I mean sure, the Empire is generally shown as uncaring and callous and they believe that they have the perfect slave camp figured out, and dsiregard that the main motivator these people have is not fear of punishment but hope to get back out, but it still seems off.

Of course this could have been a recent change/attempt to extend prisoners' stay at the facility (what with the recent clamp down by the Empire) - but it's implied that with a stronger grip and extension of sentences these facilities are basically overflowing with new arrivals.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 02, 2022, 10:38:17 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 02, 2022, 10:36:15 PMI'm going to have to rewatch Rogue One because I honestly didn't like it when I first saw it.

It has taken years, but we finally detected a small flaw in FM

I'll go and say that I find the first two thirds of Rogue One rather plodding. But the final act is fantastic. Still, it's by far the best Star Wars movie since the OT.

I also think that Solo is a decent action adventure film saddled by all the fanservice.