News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Meanwhile in the Labour Party...

Started by Sheilbh, January 07, 2020, 11:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

If you look at the Favorable - Unfavorable margin, Miliband, Smith, Atlee, and Wilson all beat out Corbyn.  So there is somewhat of a silver lining there.
Smith has the second best favorability margin (after Wilson) and even Gaitskell's favorable are almost 3 times as higher as his unfavorables.  So it appears that dropping dead can help . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 21, 2020, 05:15:56 PM
If you look at the Favorable - Unfavorable margin, Miliband, Smith, Atlee, and Wilson all beat out Corbyn.  So there is somewhat of a silver lining there.
Smith has the second best favorability margin (after Wilson) and even Gaitskell's favorable are almost 3 times as higher as his unfavorables.  So it appears that dropping dead can help . . .
I am mildly thrilled at the surprising enthusiasm for Gaitskell :w00t:

QuoteThe second makes me cry. The Blair hysteria most of all.
Yeah. But it's sort of expected. I'm surprised at the anti-Kinnock feeling out there :mellow:  :hmm:

Edit: Oh and meanwhile the Tories are on 47% in the latest poll :weep:

Edit: Also happy at the solid 18% who are still angry at Ramsay MacDonald, 90 years on.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Since it's a survey of *members,* those are by definition the Corbyn fringe, no?

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 21, 2020, 04:55:47 PM
Jess Phillips dropped out :(

:bleeding: Corbyn would win again. (Also as a long-term Wilson fanboi I'm delighted at the way his reputation's come up again).

Indeed sad about Phillips's exit.

Yes I've alway like Wilson from 1970 election certainly.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

I was surprised that ties with the unions is so strong that a leadership must drop out if she cannot get their endorsement despite the fact this is popular within the party itself.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 22, 2020, 12:39:21 PM
I was surprised that ties with the unions is so strong that a leadership must drop out if she cannot get their endorsement despite the fact this is popular within the party itself.
It's a bit of an overstatement to say she's popular. She is popular with a certain part of the party and loathed by the Corbynites. She's probably the most divisive candidate in that everyone has an opinion about her.

So you need either 3 nominations by an affiliate, 2 of which need to be a union representing 5% of the total. So other affiliates are groups like the Fabians, the Jewish Labour Movement, Chinese for Labour etc. Or you can get the nomination of, I think 33, Constituency Labour Parties.

I think Phillips would have struggled on either front.

Lisa Nandy made it through! :w00t: Backed by GMB and NUM unions and Chinese for Labour affiliate group (sadly they've been getting loads of racist abuse all day after this). She has taken the sensible approach as the dark horse of doing all the media she can and, again, did very well in an Andrew Neil interview - which is not easy.

I also enjoyed her morning tour of the studios slapping down various hosts. To Piers Morgan after he said there's nothing to do with race or gender in the Meghan Markle coverage it's just that people don't like her: "If you don't mind me saying, how on earth would you know? As someone who's never had to deal with ingrained prejudice?"

Then when Nick Robinson asked who her favourite past Labour Leader is and then said she was carefully avoiding answering the question. Her response "well it's a daft question" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Nothing to do with race or gender, you just don't like Americans.  :(

Put it this way, last time a royal married one of us, he had to abdicate his throne.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 22, 2020, 05:20:19 PM

Put it this way, last time a royal married one of us, he had to abdicate his throne.

Problem more about that royal's nazi sympathies than hatred of Americans. But a close second I grant you  :D

Sheilbh

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 22, 2020, 05:20:19 PM

:lol: That could be part of it. I did enjoy the Buzzfeed piece contrasting the same paper's headlines about the same behaviour. My favourite were the first couple:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/meghan-markle-kate-middleton-double-standards-royal
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Oz Katerji is doing an interesting podcast on Corbynism - the Post-Mortem.

First episode on anti-semitism with Adam Wagner (human rights lawyer), Jonathan Freedland (Guardian columnist) and Adam Langleben (formerly of the Jewish Labour Movement).
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Interesting reports of a surge of about 20% in the Labour membership.

Generally theory seems to be these are moderates who left during the Corbyn years returning. A big chunk wanted to vote for Jess Phillips are are now a bit homeless. Some want to go for Starmer or Nandy.

Apparently the Labour left are resigning themselves to Starmer leading and saying they'll need to "keep organised". Suggests they already suspect he'll be a Kinnock.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

That's the crazies all over. Would rather have no labour govrnment than an impure one.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on January 25, 2020, 05:24:20 AM
That's the crazies all over. Would rather have no labour govrnment than an insane one.

fyp

Sheilbh

So the Labour Party has reported Keir Starmer's campaign to the regulator for a data breach. And there are rumours the leadership/executive could use it in an attempt to disqualify his candidacy :blink:

Hard left will always hard left in the end :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

It seems to be more than just the hard left on this one. It's getting a lot of coverage from the pro tory media. Way above what could be rationally expected of such a story.
It seems they really are afraid of having a top barrister to call out Johnsons nonsense.
██████
██████
██████