News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by grumbler - Today at 09:35:10 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on Today at 08:36:54 AMAttempts to use Netanyahu to whitewash Nazism / antisemitism is not going to work.

A country having a poor leader doesn't justify their people being genocided or struck with terrorist attacks. It does not undermine the country's legitimate right to exist.

Netanyahu doesn't "whitewash" Nazism, he echoes it.  And the bit about poor leaders not justifying their people getting genocided or struck with terrorist attacks is the point pro-Palestinian moderates are trying to make and Zionists are trying to deny.  "[Having a poor leader] does not undermine the country's legitimate right to exist"  That's exactly the point of the moderate pro-Palestinians are trying to make, and the arch-Zionists deny. There's no excuse for violence against innocents on either side.
Off the Record / Re: Football (Soccer) Thread
Last post by FunkMonk - Today at 09:28:28 AM
Quote from: Tamas on Today at 04:16:39 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 16, 2024, 05:38:24 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 16, 2024, 05:06:37 PMLiverpool cannot be low enough on the table for me to be satisfied with it.

Tamas, I'm chatting with a Chelsea fan on a discord server and he seems to think this Chelsea team will mature and be contenders for the league title in two years. I'm curious if you think similarly.

Hey, so did the Arsenal game answer this?  :D

I think they could become CL-place contenders IF: 1. we could get a striker who isn't either a complete muppet or near-permanently injured and 2. the current defense is in fact able to learn how to defend

On strikers, I have come to really despise Jackson. It's one thing to be a young striker who lacks confidence in the big leagues, not to mention that Drogba being the last Chelsea striker to actually find the net regularly, has been kind of our thing now for a decade or so. But I don't think its a lack of confidence he certainly seems to think very highly of himself.

I also have lost patience with Pochettino. I don't see where he is having any positive effect. Heck, even Lampard during his first stint you could kinda' see the team of kids he had had hunger even if clearly tactics-wise there was nothing to be excited or even happy about.

I remember under Mourinho (well, his first time with Chelsea, anyways) if they played shit the first half they'd come out with different tactics or at least a different level of motivation. Same with several other managers, not with this dude however. I am not saying he is not a good/decent coach, I readily admit that the current Chelsea must be a friggin' nightmare to manage, a bunch of young kids bought after some American re-watched Moneyball.

But he is not good enough for this situation. Most telling are his substitutions, they often reek of desperation of the "well, might as well try this since I have no idea what to do" kind.

I am semi-seriously yearning for Mourinho to come back. Yes, he'd crash and burn in a couple of seasons the most and no the game has left him behind so he won't turn us into champions overnight, but we need somebody who can out-ego all these kids and used to be being ruthless in drilling a system into a team. Any kind of system and coherence would do.

And... who else of any (past) note would take the job on?

Thanks Tamas.

I'm curious because it took years for Arsenal to fix itself and it is interesting to see how other clubs (I'm think of Chelsea and United particularly) fix themselves too.

I agree with you that Poch is not the guy to build around, especially with how ineptly the club seems to be run by the owners. He is a good coach but he doesn't appear to be ruthless or brave enough for the job. If they got the right guy there I think they could be challenging for a CL spot in a couple seasons.

The other thing I've noticed with their squad, especially on Tuesday lol, was they have no leaders and no spine. No experienced professionals to be examples for this extremely young team. There is a lot of talent at Chelsea but if there is no one to mentor it and prop it up during tough spells then there is no way for them to succeed or grow. It reminds me a lot of how late-Wenger Arsenal would blow over as soon as they got punched in the face.

Anyway, I certainly hate Chelsea and hope the club doesn't succeed  :lol:

but I also feel for you and I know how much it sucks to have your club be shit and be everyone's joke :cry:  :hug:
Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 09:13:24 AM
Quote from: Gups on Today at 09:08:20 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 24, 2024, 09:07:16 PMBut speaking of British (kinda) TV shows...

I've heard good things about Slow Horses...but is it worth getting AppleTV for? :hmm:

Not by itself. It's an above average spy series elevated by Gary Oldman.

I disagree. Slow horses by itself is easily a reason to subscribe to Apple TV.  And then, once there you get access to a number of other very good series.

Gaming HQ / Re: New Paradox Tinto Game? EU...
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 09:11:50 AM
I am all for more complex game. I just hope it works.
Last post by Gups - Today at 09:08:20 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 24, 2024, 09:07:16 PMBut speaking of British (kinda) TV shows...

I've heard good things about Slow Horses...but is it worth getting AppleTV for? :hmm:

Not by itself. It's an above average spy series elevated by Gary Oldman.
Off the Record / Re: [Canada] Canadian Politics...
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 09:06:26 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2024, 08:59:17 PMI know Mark Carney is a smart guy, and very capable, but he really strikes me as Michael Ignatieff v 2.0 as a federal politician.

I mean you can pretty much just copy and paste the opposition ads from Ignatieff's era.

That might work for people who don't remember that he was the governor of the bank of Canada.
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 09:02:59 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 24, 2024, 10:28:54 PMI mostly learned Red Dwarf and Yes, Minister from our PBS.  :sleep:

Yes, and Monty Python
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Gups - Today at 09:01:19 AM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 06:52:11 AMI'm not getting the Cass Report.
Gender care, especially for kids, is crap.
This was well known before, though the proof for it is useful.
But the transphobic culture war zealots are celebrating as if it proves everything they say right?- care being shit doesn't mean improve care it means...don't have care?

I don't really understand what you are saying. The Cass report was solely about treatment for kids. The crazy wing of the Trans lobby is refusing to accept the report or its recommendations and individuals are threatening Cass herself to the extent that she can't use live a normal life.

I don't know what the transphobic zealots (whoever they are) are saying but the people I've read do see it as vindication of what they were saying about Tavistock - that it failed to give holistic care to individuals, that instead of care it tried to push children into having treatment and that it failed to follow up with children to see what the results of the treatment was (or have refused to provide the reports). Critiscism of the Tavistock was being condemned at the time as anti-Trans TERF zealotary. Some, like Wes Streeting, have had the decency and humility to admit they were wrong. Others, like the leader of the Scottish Greens have refused to.
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 08:55:56 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on Today at 08:17:02 AMDid Skippy the Bush Kangaroo made it to Britain, the USA & the ROC?
Yes. Skippy and Flipper and obviously Lassie :lol:

I think we get a fair bit of Aussie TV (especially for kids and daytime TV) and, I understand from Australians, vice versa.
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by viper37 - Today at 08:47:03 AM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 03:09:16 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 24, 2024, 06:30:08 PMI don't want to print a sign saying I'll burn Tehran to the ground.  First because I couldn't do it, and second because I believe that would make me a bad person.

I will continue to come here and express my negative judgement of protestors who call for more dead Israelis.  You can call it whining if you want but I see things differently.

The issue isn't whether these people are cunts. They obviously are.
Its those pointing to them and going "See! See! Anyone who dares to speak against Israel is like this! Anti zionism is anti semitism!"
Its like saying there's no difference between those criticising the Saudi or Iranian regime and the "muslims are subhuman and should all be killed" brigade
This.