What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Returning to the age point because I see there's another clip of McConnell having a similar episode.

As with the Feinstein piece, regardless of their politics I just find it quite sad. It is absolutely right for and the job of the press to report this and I remember reading a piece somewhere on how the press basically don't report certain things about ageing senators out of a sense of "decorum" and "privacy", which I get on a human level but I don't think is the right call. But that means that if you are ageing and having clear health issues like McConnell is, or there are reasons to think it's impacting your performance, as with Feinstein, then that is going to be in public.

I wonder if younger politicians are looking at this and thinking they want to retire when they're sort of at the peak of their powers and vigorous rather than visibly declining in the public eye.

I also think it's potentially slightly corrosive from a democratic perspective because I think the public could legitimately ask what's the point of electing an individual Senator v a team of 30-someting aides to collectively act as a "Senator".
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I'm not sure I find it sad versus infuriating. As you say this is rightfully being covered. They and those around them should recognise when it is time to draw a career to a close.

Harder said than done, of course, but as you mention they are letting their voters down in their dereliction of duty.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Don't blame me, I voted for Amy McGrath. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

OttoVonBismarck

Voters do have agency here, they largely are the ones who have never given challengers to candidates like Feinstein, Grassley, or McConnell any serious support. There are plenty of politicians (of the Senators' own party) who could have ran instead of them last time, but the people who participate in the primary process seemed disinterested in those possibilities.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Does Elon have trouble with the DoJ? Huh. I had no idea.

What crimes is he committing?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2023, 09:13:44 AMDoes Elon have trouble with the DoJ? Huh. I had no idea.

What crimes is he committing?

"Twitter chaos after Elon Musk takeover may have violated privacy order, DoJ alleges"
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/sep/13/twitter-elon-musk-takeover-ftc-order-data-security-privacy-doj-case

"Justice Department Sues SpaceX for Discriminating Against Asylees and Refugees in Hiring"
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-sues-spacex-discriminating-against-asylees-and-refugees-hiring

"Tesla reportedly facing DOJ, SEC probes over plans to build Elon Musk a large glass house"
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/31/tesla-reportedly-facing-doj-sec-probes-over-plans-to-build-elon-musk-a-large-glass-house.html
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Ah. Sounds like sort of normal stuff most big companies face on a regular basis, well ok maybe building a large glass house is a little weird.

But fair enough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2023, 09:22:36 AMAh. Sounds like sort of normal stuff most big companies face on a regular basis, well ok maybe building a large glass house is a little weird.

But fair enough.

It's only weird because of how many stones he likes to throw...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob