And we're back!

Main Menu

CFL Thread

Started by Barrister, August 06, 2011, 02:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

That's still amazing that the Argos lost to the Als.

Go Blue!

War is indeed war.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Grey Fox

I really did not expect to be celebrating after that dismal 10 minutes of the 1st quarter.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Somebody is happy :D
https://www.rds.ca/videos/football/lcf/alouettes/110e-coupe-grey-c-est-le-reve-d-une-vie-marc-antoine-dequoy-football-3.1434809

Paraphrasing a little:)
"They never believed in us,  everywhere we went, it was English only,  they said we could not win.  You know what?  Keep ya english. Keep ya damn english. We're going home to Quebec with our trophy"

One hell of a speech :showoff:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 20, 2023, 01:20:32 AMSomebody is happy :D
https://www.rds.ca/videos/football/lcf/alouettes/110e-coupe-grey-c-est-le-reve-d-une-vie-marc-antoine-dequoy-football-3.1434809

"They never believed in us,  everywhere we went, it was English only,  they said we could not win.  You know what?  Keep ya english. Keep ya damn english. We're going home to Quebec with our trophy"

Take a look at the Als Roster.  It doesn't list where the person is from, but it does list their college.  Roster is full of francophones who went to such great french=speaking schools as Portland State, Colorado State, Louisiana-Monroe, Nebraska, Nevada...

I mean good on the Als for winning.  They won fair and square.  But "nobody believed in you"?  Maybe because you were an 11-7 team (compared to the 16-2 Argos in your division).  And "Keep ya damn english"?  Your coach Jason Maas (whom I like) is an American, went to Oregon, and mostly played and coached in Edmonton - he's no francophone.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 19, 2023, 10:02:20 PMI really did not expect to be celebrating after that dismal 10 minutes of the 1st quarter.

I stopped watching the game in the first quarter.  A bit of a snooze fest.

I am glad I tuned into the second half.  That was entertaining.  A good BC boy caught the winning touchdown  :)

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2023, 02:43:28 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 20, 2023, 01:20:32 AMSomebody is happy :D

Take a look at the Als Roster.  It doesn't list where the person is from, but it does list their college.  Roster is full of francophones who went to such great french=speaking schools as Portland State, Colorado State, Louisiana-Monroe, Nebraska, Nevada...

I mean good on the Als for winning.  They won fair and square.  But "nobody believed in you"?  Maybe because you were an 11-7 team (compared to the 16-2 Argos in your division).  And "Keep ya damn english"?  Your coach Jason Maas (whom I like) is an American, went to Oregon, and mostly played and coached in Edmonton - he's no francophone.
It's about the language of the league, not the people.

The National Anthem wasn't even bilingual.
The signs weren't bilingual in the stadium.
And so on.

Jacob

Congrats to the Alouettes :cheers:

Fair points about the lack of bilingual elements - especially the national anthem. That it was English only is honestly a disgrace in a Canadian league.

Grey Fox

The anthem was bilingual. I was very surprised by it.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 21, 2023, 06:10:16 PMThe anthem was bilingual. I was very surprised by it.

Oh. Thanks for the clarification. That is the way it should be.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 21, 2023, 06:10:16 PMThe anthem was bilingual. I was very surprised by it.
It was the game before.  Got things mixed up. I couldn't watch this game.  Damn.

More explanations:
https://cultmtl.com/2023/11/marc-antoine-dequoy-tu-parles-no-apology-needed/

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2023, 05:14:36 PMThe National Anthem wasn't even bilingual.

You're really outing yourself for not watching the game.  "Oh Canada" was definitely bilingual.  The field had big "LCF" markings on it.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2023, 10:08:08 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2023, 05:14:36 PMThe National Anthem wasn't even bilingual.

You're really outing yourself for not watching the game.  "Oh Canada" was definitely bilingual.  The field had big "LCF" markings on it.
I did say multiple times I could not watch the game.  I know I missed a good game, I really wanted to, but it was impossible for me.

I mixed up a few things, but read the text I posted for clarifications.