News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Tamas - May 07, 2024, 03:53:12 PM
QuoteThere's no point to the left (however it's organised) without power.

Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by Sheilbh - May 07, 2024, 03:41:52 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 07, 2024, 03:40:24 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 07, 2024, 03:39:33 PMAnd yet, weirdly, it's among the least mad things I've read from LinkedIn :huh:

LinkedIn is business Facebook, I hate it.
#Blessed
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by HVC - May 07, 2024, 03:41:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2024, 11:33:51 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2024, 09:19:41 AMand yet, that's where they belong. There's only 2 categories with a simple yes no question at the start; Pope?

Orthodox say "hi!".

Beyond that - because "Protestantism" is still the largest faith group in North America pretty handily, it's worthwhile to break it down a little bit more.

I mean, you can subcategorize different kinds of being wrong, but you're still in the wrong group, as opposed to the right one :P

*Edit* In my raised catholic mind there's 4 groups

Right (catholic)
Misguided (orthodox and Coptic)
Wrong (protestants)
Christianity adjacent (mormons, JW)

:lol:
Last post by HVC - May 07, 2024, 03:40:24 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 07, 2024, 03:39:33 PMAnd yet, weirdly, it's among the least mad things I've read from LinkedIn :huh:

LinkedIn is business Facebook, I hate it.
Last post by HVC - May 07, 2024, 03:39:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2024, 03:38:44 PMYou know there's a way to send that email that doesn't come off as quite so condescending... but that's not how that email was written.

You can reword some of it, not sure how you pretty up "take a pay cut" though :D
Last post by Sheilbh - May 07, 2024, 03:39:33 PM
And yet, weirdly, it's among the least mad things I've read from LinkedIn :huh:
Last post by Barrister - May 07, 2024, 03:38:44 PM
You know there's a way to send that email that doesn't come off as quite so condescending... but that's not how that email was written.
Last post by Syt - May 07, 2024, 02:54:07 PM
Ask not what your employer can do for you!

Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Sheilbh - May 07, 2024, 02:04:50 PM
:lol: In this thread I believe G and Tamas say I'm a closet Tory :P

But I've always been a stodgy centrist-ish. I was a big Blair fan at the time. Didn't like Miliband, got into many, many, many arguments over Corbyn (a tradition as my parents have family friends they can't discuss politics with because of arguments of Militant in Liverpool in the 80s :lol:). I wasn't particularly keen on Starmer. In each case I pushed for a more centrist candidate: Burnham, Kendall, Smith, Nandy. I had ideological issues with Corbyn - with Miliband and Starmer I just wasn't convinced.

But that's also because I think the number 1 priority for Labour should always, always be beating the Tories and salting the earth after them :P

A Tory government doesn't really impact me - but it has children going hungry, people living on the streets, a cruelty to the disabled and unable to work. So I have very little time for people prizing their principles over winning. There's no point to the left (however it's organised) without power.
Last post by Barrister - May 07, 2024, 02:04:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 07, 2024, 12:29:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2024, 11:14:14 AMBut I wouldn't want to just break out statistics and tell women they're wrong for feeling that way.

But as I pointed out we do seem comfortable doing that in other situations.  What justifies the difference?

Because it never helps.

If you're afraid of flying, does it help to tell you the statistics about how safe air travel is?  No it does not.