News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on March 10, 2022, 01:31:38 PMI'm surprised that more Republicans don't have a beef with Zelenskyy over the impeachment thing.

Why would they? It was a perfect call.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Zelensky played that whole situation beautifully. Slow rolled Trump, neither party could get pissed at him.

Syt

GOP congressional candidate for South Carolina wants to re-instate the House Un-American Activities Committee:

Video: https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1503737569456050180
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2022, 10:59:58 AMGOP congressional candidate for South Carolina wants to re-instate the House Un-American Activities Committee:

Common sense I suppose

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2022, 10:59:58 AMGOP congressional candidate for South Carolina wants to re-instate the House Un-American Activities Committee:

Nice of Burns to come out that strongly against the GOP.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Finally someone to take on Q-Anon, Jan 6th seditionists, Putin stooges, those who undermine the electoral process, and so on.

viper37

Donald Trump sues Hillary Clinton, others, says they tried to rig 2016 U.S. election

QuoteFormer United States president Donald Trump has filed a lawsuit against Hillary Clinton and others, claiming that they tried to rig the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

The lawsuit, filed Thursday, also claims they falsely accused Trump of colluding with Russia. Trump defeated Clinton in the 2016 election to become president.

Former president Donald Trump arrives at a rally, Saturday, March 12, 2022, in Florence, S.C.

The lawsuit, filed Thursday, also claims they falsely accused Trump of colluding with Russia. Trump defeated Clinton in the 2016 election to become president.

"Acting in concert, the Defendants maliciously conspired to weave a false narrative that their Republican opponent, Donald J. Trump, was colluding with a hostile foreign sovereignty," the former president alleged in the lawsuit filed in a federal court in Florida.

Trump also alleged "racketeering" and a "conspiracy to commit injurious falsehood," among other claims.

Trump's allegations in the lawsuit are undermined by a 966-page report issued by a Republican-led U.S. Senate committee in August 2020. That report concluded that Russia used Republican political operative Paul Manafort and the WikiLeaks website to try to help Trump win the 2016 election.

Trump has sought compensatory and punitive damages in the lawsuit.

He said he was "forced to incur expenses in an amount to be determined at trial, but known to be in excess of twenty-four million dollars ($24,000,000) and continuing to accrue, in the form of defense costs, legal fees, and related expenses."

None of Trump's allegations in the lawsuit have been proven in court.

How can even find lawyers who want to go in court with these baseless conspiracy theories?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Crazy person does crazy things.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

There are many very stupid lawyers.

Sheilbh

I'm not convinced these are the best lawyers around :ph34r:
https://twitter.com/legalbrains
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

They're more graphic designers.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Does he really want to be forced to give deposition on this?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Put aside the merits of the allegations.

The case principally asserts a RICO claim.  RICO has a 4 year statute of limitations. You don't need to be a math major to figure out the problem there in a case about the 2016 election.

The next claim is one for "injurious falsehood".  Not clear what this is supposed to be about as the heading cites to the Stored Communications Act, an anti computer hacking law that has no apparent relevance to this case or to "injurious falsehood", whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.  I'll be charitable and assume they meant to bring a defamation claim.  SoL - 1 to 3 years depending on the state.

Next is malicious prosecution - didn't check every state but typical SoL is one year. Since the complaint doesn't identify any actual legal proceeding against Trump, I suppose they could argue the limitations period hasn't started yet.  Although for the same exact reason, there is no claim stated.

Next is a Computer Fraud and Abuse Act claim.  Two year SoL.

Theft of trade secrets. Confusingly the complaint cites the CFAA statute not the federal trade secrets statute. The limitations on CFAA is two years (see above), on trade secrets it would be 3 years.  Since the complaint does not identify any trade secrets it may be that this was intended as a restatement of the CFAA

Stored Communication Act - second time statute was cited.  Does not seem to be applicable - presume CFAA was intended again (?)   Two year limitations period.

"Agency" - this is a legal concept not a cause of action so there is no limitations period.  Impossible to discern from the allegations what was intended here.  Conspiracy maybe??? In that case 3 years.

Next is a series of allegations that various parties are vicariously liable for underlying torts committed by others.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Some more background on the lawyer behind this case: https://www.thedailybeast.com/alina-habba-the-trump-lawyer-the-rest-of-trumps-legal-team-loathes?msclkid=3e7b9b07abb611ec8809efae31d09142

Choice quotes:

QuoteSome of the Trump lawyers think her work is so bad—so self-interested, pointlessly aggressive, and sloppy—that they think Habba's mere presence on the team increases the likelihood of Trump and his family facing court losses and legal peril

Quote"'What the fuck is she doing?' is probably the most common question we asked about her," one of these lawyers, who still works in the Trump inner sanctum, remarked last week. Habba's professional conduct, decisions, and courtroom theatrics have routinely embarrassed her Trumpworld legal colleagues—to the point that there are multiple group chats of Trump lawyers where much of the discussion is devoted to profusely complaining about Habba or harshly mocking her.

And most damning of all:

Quoteshe has the utmost trust and confidence of Eric Trump

--Joan Robinson