News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

I'm not sure about anything coming out of HK at the moment being a real alternative to China.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on November 08, 2022, 01:40:38 PMI'm not sure about anything coming out of HK at the moment being a real alternative to China.
Yeah sorry not clear by Hong Kong groups I mean in the UK wanting to set up alternatives.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I guess the trouble with getting decent Chinese people to do it is a big part of why governments are so happy with the prc doing it is that they pay for it.

It does seem it'd be a smart move for Taiwan and I doubt it could cost that much. But I'd imagine it would need to be much reduced with some countries prioritised over others.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Isn't the bloom off the rose of learning Chinese?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2022, 04:28:18 PMIsn't the bloom off the rose of learning Chinese?

Not for young people looking for a career in a national security related field. 
But for them Confucius Institute is not the best choice.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Interesting clip of Xi and Trudeau:
https://twitter.com/AnnieClaireBO/status/1592784639474929665?s=20&t=sWfqMEQq9yvsa2NNG-dqbg

And this on the last bit (before Trudeau cut over it) from a thinktanker:
QuoteCharles Burton
@cburton001
Xi says 否則這個結果不好說了 which was not translated. It is a menacing threat to Trudeau: "otherwise it is hard to say what will happen"
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Public protests in Shanghai, against Covid rules but including chants like "fuck the CCP" and "Xi step down."

Reportedly about 500-1,000 people, but still.

Jacob

A variety of reports coming in of people protesting in Beijing as well - universities, but also elsewhere.

Protest signs include completely blank pieces of paper and signs that say "you know what I want to say". The Internationale is being sung as a protest song. Online, people are supporting the protests by posting things like just saying "good good good good good good".

Obviously the Chinese state has a massive machinery of oppression in place, but this is still pretty noteworthy.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on November 26, 2022, 05:44:05 PMA variety of reports coming in of people protesting in Beijing as well - universities, but also elsewhere.

Protest signs include completely blank pieces of paper and signs that say "you know what I want to say". The Internationale is being sung as a protest song. Online, people are supporting the protests by posting things like just saying "good good good good good good".

Obviously the Chinese state has a massive machinery of oppression in place, but this is still pretty noteworthy.

Indeed, and the near total control opportunity afforded by Covid-19 lockdowns is one too many burdens for large numbers of ordinary Chinese to carry.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Just saw a video of the protesters in Shanghai singing "Do you hear the people sing" from Les Miserables.

Jacob

Another video currently banned in China right now: pictures of world cup fans partying and chanting, with a Chinese woman voice over saying "guys guys! Please wear your masks! Don't you know it's a pandemic? Please wear your masks."

Sheilbh

Interesting thread from Cambridge academic on what seems distinctive in these protests:
https://twitter.com/wjhurst/status/1596722048717709312?s=46&t=tOrIV6EiwzNLXPuAqc8Drg
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Video on Twitter 45 minutes ago of a mass of students Tsinghua University (one of the top 2 universities in China) chanting "we want freedom" and "rule of law and democracy." This is happening right now. It's on Weibo, though it'll probably be taken down soon.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on November 27, 2022, 03:18:59 AMVideo on Twitter 45 minutes ago of a mass of students Tsinghua University (one of the top 2 universities in China) chanting "we want freedom" and "rule of law and democracy." This is happening right now. It's on Weibo, though it'll probably be taken down soon.
Total aside from this thread - but it is an example of the sort of thing that Twitter is brilliant for and (as a Westerner) I can't think of an equivalent. If there's something you're interested in you can follow accounts to see others who know better all commenting, as well as actual material from other networks being re-posted. From these protests, to Ukraine or the Arab Spring, which is when I first got Twitter because everything was being posted there.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

So the Tsinghua thing...

The first video, a few hours ago: One girl was standing at the university, holding up a blank piece of paper. Some plain-clothes (maybe four or five) security officers came to hustle her away, saying "you can't be here." This was filmed, and bystanders were yelling "why are you doing this to her?" "she hasn't done anything"and "you're the ones making this a scene!" Several other students - girls - joined her.

Now: Hundreds or thousands of students are chanting, demanding - among other things - democracy, rule of law, and freedom at one of China's top two universities. Videos are circulating.

That one girl, in that first video... she - and her family potentially - are going to be in a lot of trouble. Probably the same for the handful of girls who joined her initial stance as well, if they can be identified.

I don't know if this pebble is going to roll down the mountain or not, but I hope for the best for those brave souls.