News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Witcher 3

Started by Martinus, May 13, 2015, 07:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Partition Poland into 3 different CD Projekt zones so a Witcher-style RPG can be released once every year? :hmm:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Grallon

Just finished it...  You can go on playing but the game reverts back to what it was before the final chapter and all your friends are gone so there's no point continuing doing contracts...  I guess that's the downside of a tightly scripted game.  In Skyrim after defeating Alduin or Miraak or Harkon the world remained and acknowledged your deeds.  But I suppose it would have been prohibitive to account for all the changes made through all possible endings.  There's nothing more depressing than walking the empty halls of Kaer Mohren afterwards...

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grallon

I'm a third in the second playthrough...  I'm pretty sure this shall be the last.  Marvelous world building but contrary to Skyrim you can't go through it more than once without the emotional impact being blunted.  Binding a character' story to an open world isn't such a good idea after all; they should have made it stand on its own, not so dependent on Geralt of Rivia.  Allowing us to play any character (Dandelion, Zoldan, Ciri, Tris, Yennefer, etc) before the main quest begins - or allowing Geralt to experience the world for the first 20 lvls before the main quest kicks in would have done wonders for replayability.  As it stands one can only go through once or twice - which is a shame.  Let others learn from that mistake.

G.

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Legbiter

Finished it.

Killed Radovid so Nilfgard won the war, Ciri becomes empress, Temeria is restored as a vassal state of Nilfgard. Put Hjalmar on the throne in Skellige. Geralt set off into the sunset with Yen.

Excellent game.

Scipio

I got the depressing as fuck ending. Yay, America! Replaying it to get the ending Legbiter achieved.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Legbiter

I'd say my ending was bittersweet. If Radovid lives he manage to keep Nilfgard at bay while roasting all nonhumans, herbalists and village pellars in the process?

Scipio

Quote from: Legbiter on June 20, 2015, 03:39:29 PM
I'd say my ending was bittersweet. If Radovid lives he manage to keep Nilfgard at bay while roasting all nonhumans, herbalists and village pellars in the process?
Radovid's character development is one of the highlights of the series. He starts out kind of Machiavellian, and goes full on nutbar by the end of the 3rd game. That's a nice through-line.

I have to admit, I really wanted to kill him, and frankly, every time I talked to him, he convinced me more and more that rule by Nilfgaard was 1000% superior in every way. He's the Pol Pot of the WItcherverse.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Martinus

So, started playing the game. I am really enjoying little things, like the fact that you get a short "recap" every time you load the game, to remind you where you are. Also this is probably the only game I will play in Polish instead of English.

Valmy

Is it fully voice acted in Polish?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

I find this, like oh so many games marred by cut-scenes.

And to think I got an Xbox One controller for this and that other cut-scene hell GTA V.

GIMME MOAR TES NOW!!!

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2015, 11:24:26 AM
Is it fully voice acted in Polish?

Yup. And I understand the original script is actually in Polish and the English version is the localisation. It has a lot of fun, folksy or "faux medieval" voice acting, and a lot of swearing. :P

Martinus

Oh, also, I have been running around for quite a while before I realised I have a horse. :P

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 29, 2015, 12:22:01 PM
Yup. And I understand the original script is actually in Polish and the English version is the localisation. It has a lot of fun, folksy or "faux medieval" voice acting, and a lot of swearing. :P

Huh. I would like to play it in the original when I do then. Since it is the original can you play it with the Polish and English subtitles in the American version or do I have to import? Anybody know?

I am going to do Witcher 1 and play through like I am doing with Dragon Age. Does that also apply to the other two? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

From what I understand Witcher 1 English dialogues were also a very much reduced translation of the Polish original - most of the colour and jokes were lost. Only in Witcher 2 the English version was on par with the Polish one.

Not sure how widely this is known, but the game is actually based on the world created by the most widely translated Polish scifi writer (even before the game he was better known than Lem). He is still alive and active (he is in his 60s I think) and was involved in the game in some capacity so it is no surprise the Polish version was the original one. :)

Martinus

The author, Andrzej Sapkowski