And we're back!

Main Menu

Witcher 3

Started by Martinus, May 13, 2015, 07:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Anyone getting it next week?

Syt

I never played through 1 (got bogged down and bored in the village before entering Vyzima), and therefore never played 2. So I will likely not buy/play 3 yet.

I may once I've finished watching play throughs of the games (I'm watching Gopher's playing through 1, usually when playing something else) at which point #3 might be on sale already.

Shame, really, because I loved the stories.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Heh, it's similar with me - the only difference being that I own a PS4 now so might just as well get Witcher 3.

I did love the books, especially the short stories, though.

Syt

I have the short stories (came in two volumes here), though I haven't checked if the other books have been translated (given the popularity of the games I wouldn't be surprised).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

One thing in the previews that stood out a bit to me was that Gopher was absolutely amazed that there were almost no loading screens, and that even entering buildings was seamless.

I seem to recall that Gothic 1&2 (maybe 3?) did that, too; though their world was arguably much smaller than what Witcher 3 will have. And I think most buildings didn't have doors.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Apparently they fixed the combat.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Too busy and away from home to purchase at release, will check it out when back home in 5 weeks.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grallon

I bought 1&2 last weekend.  It whiles the time away but there's *a lot* of fetching quests, it's heavily scripted (can't change your appearance, you're forced into the relationships drawn from the novels I presume (Triss Marigold?) - to the point of having to play the 'ladies' man' Geralt is supposed to be if you want to progress :yucky:  And naturally it's not an open world.  I wish I was discovering Skyrim again!

The third installment looks gorgeous and it is an open world.  But we're still stuck with Gerald the horny lone wolf.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Syt

Well, it's a game with an established protagonist. Complaining about it is like complaining that you can only play as Lara Croft in Tomb Raider or What's-His-Face in Uncharted.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Nathan Drake, iirc.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Crazy_Ivan80

lots of hubub about the downgrade of graphics because of consolitis

Octavian

Quote from: Martinus on May 13, 2015, 07:04:32 AM
Anyone getting it next week?

I finished the second one last week. Loved it despite it's faults (QTE  :yucky:)- Will definitely be getting the third one.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Razgovory

Graphics card can't run it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Legbiter

If it's not a bugfest on release then I'll play it fairly soon. I played the other 2 so CD Project have me by the balls.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

celedhring

My PC can only probably run it at low settings, which would kinda suck given how striking it looks. I probably will wait until I buy a new system.