And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball

Started by jimmy olsen, March 10, 2009, 10:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

WTF!? :bleeding:

The Sox were up 10-1 in the 7th and now we're down 11-10 in the 8th! :x
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

Man, I thought being a Royals fan was tough, but damn... Pirates fans, you have my condolences.  Your team truly is used as a farm system for the richer teams.  Ouch. <_<
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on June 30, 2009, 10:24:40 PM
Man, I thought being a Royals fan was tough, but damn... Pirates fans, you have my condolences.  Your team truly is used as a farm system for the richer teams.  Ouch. <_<

No one has it rougher than a Royals fan.  <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on June 30, 2009, 10:24:40 PM

Well, unlike the McLouth trade I can understand the rationale behind the Hinske and Morgan trades (Hinske's not getting younger, an Nyjer is underperforming, too).

Still, the Buccos are obviously going for a solid record in doing the longest rebuild in any sports ever. I guess they want to surpass the rebuilding of the German team between 1918 and 1939 in length ... aaaalmost there.  <_<
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

When internet memes come to the analogue world:

.... and you can get a free "I can haz cheezburger" t-shirt.

I'm torn between :lol: and :bleeding:

:unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

It's the Japanese influence.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Pujols is hitting .332, with 30 home runs and 77 runs batted in. I'm starting to think he might actually have a chance at the triple crown. He's first in home runs and RBI and sixth in batting average.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

The poor Mets can't catch a break!  :lmfao:

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/allegheny/19924514/detail.html
QuoteWalk On The Wild Side: Furries Return To Pittsburgh, Freak Mets Out

Anthrocon 2009 Being Held Downtown This Weekend

POSTED: 6:58 am EDT July 2, 2009
UPDATED: 1:36 pm EDT July 2, 2009

PITTSBURGH -- Talk about a walk on the wild side -- the furries are returning to Pittsburgh.

The fourth annual Anthrocon 2009 starts on Thursday at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center and runs until July 5, attracting furry fans from across the globe.

The conference is the world's largest for Anthropomorphics.

"So, someone like Bugs Bunny is a rabbit. But rabbits can't walk on two legs, can't talk and they don't wear gloves. So you've given some human characteristics to a non-human character," said the conference's program director, John "KP" Cole.

The convention is a chance for people who enjoy cartoon animals and their kin to dress up and meet with other fans.

Slideshow: Anthrocon 2009 Pictures

"I always liked to see them at the zoo. I always felt akin to them," said Jordan "Irish Fox" Irish.

"It's just that part of being animal. I guess you kind of just feel (your tail) swinging behind you," said "Snow Queen" who came from Colorado.

Anthrocon Chairman Dr. Samuel Conway said many of the thousands of people attending the conference will dress as their favorite characters.

"We expect 500 (to) 600 of them this year, and they"ll be wandering about. If you see a large raccoon on the streets of Pittsburgh, don't be alarmed, it's just us," Conway said.

Many conference attendees are visiting Pittsburgh for the first time.

"I've come here to meet so many friends I've met on the Internet and to enjoy the art," said Holly Crawford, who traveled from the United Kingdom.

The New York Mets -- in town for a game against the Pirates -- checked into the Westin hotel, where many of the furries are staying. That prompted the following tweets from one of their TV reporters:

* "Our hotel in Pitt is overrun by people dressed up as animals. Anthrocon? And they act as animals. I have seen it all and I am freaked out"

* "I just took a picture with a person who was dressed like Ralph Wigam as a Beaver. I will try to put this on Twitter tomorrow - oh I will try" (Note - He succeeded.)

* I am so disturbed I can't go to sleep, yet I have to be at PNC in 7 hours!!!!"

* "I was scared but yet amused and it has been the topic of conversation today at the park!"

While not everyone dresses up, the fans Channel 4 Action News' Amber Nicotra spoke with said the conference is the one event they look forward to each year.

"What brought me back was the art. I love to see what the artists come up with, meeting the artists themselves. It's great putting a face to the identity you meet online," said artist Brooke "Ishaway."

Some furries, as these fans are known, attended a private welcome party Wednesday night at the wildlife rehabilitation center in Verona.

The center, operated by the Animal Rescue League, will benefit from the auction proceeds generated by the annual convention.

"Anthrocon every year chooses a local animal-related charity that we can support. We have a charity auction and sort of giveaways in there. We like to give back a little bit, if I can say, to the animal community. Since cartoons and cartoon animals, all these people are animal lovers at heart," said Anthrocon Chairman Dr. Samuel Conway.

Between 3,500 and 4,000 anthropomorphics are expected at this year's convention, which will include workshops, panel discussions and an art exhibition.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

Trey Hillman needs to be fired.  Now.  Losing every goddamn game since the All Star break but one in the 8th inning because you refuse to make use of your awesome closer for 2 innings of work is awful decision making.

sbr

Mark Buehrle throws a perfect game against Tampa Bay, with an amazing and incredible catch by a defensive replacement to lead off the ninth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxrdz42WLk4

One of the best catches I have seen, especially considering what it saved.

sbr

Also looks like the Cardinals have landed Matt Holliday from the A's for some prospects.  Great trade, IMO.  The Cardinals really needed another bat in their line-up to help and protect Pujols; this trade should go a long way towards getting them into the play-offs.  Now if they coudl just find another starting pitcher I woudl really like their chances in October.

jimmy olsen

The Sox have hit a bad stretch lately, their offense is spluttering. :(

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

The Empire Strikes Back  :yeah:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 27, 2009, 10:47:43 AM
The Sox have hit a bad stretch lately, their offense is spluttering. :(

I guess it is time for them to "cowboy up." :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2009, 09:59:05 AM
Pujols is hitting .332, with 30 home runs and 77 runs batted in. I'm starting to think he might actually have a chance at the triple crown.

Well, not now.  Thanks for the taint  :mad:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall