News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Certifications

Started by Darth Wagtaros, May 06, 2013, 06:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

I took the CCNA bootcamp many years ago with severence money after getting laid off.  Missed the cert by one question.  Then I got a job and didn't bother taking it again.

I'm thinking of either security or maybe moving up to the enterprise level here at my current employer for virtualization and MS stuff.  Security might be better long term.
PDH!

Caliga

Quote from: Phillip V on June 13, 2013, 09:38:50 PM
I took a 1-week CCNA boot camp a few months ago (somebody else paid for it), but never got around to taking the exam.  :blush:
That sounds just like me with the PMP. :lol:  Hopefully will have time to finish up the cert this fall.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 14, 2013, 07:05:08 AM
I took the CCNA bootcamp many years ago with severence money after getting laid off.  Missed the cert by one question.  Then I got a job and didn't bother taking it again.

I'm thinking of either security or maybe moving up to the enterprise level here at my current employer for virtualization and MS stuff.  Security might be better long term.

Personally, I'm gunning for security for future stability.  Security seems to be more in demand with the larger companies with more inertia and the larger healthcare providers bound to HIPAA strictures.  And, of course, if all else fails, there's the possibility of getting more in-depth with white hat and pen testing and going the public/private contractor route.
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

4-6 weeks to hear back from ISC2.  Bastards.
PDH!

MadImmortalMan

I haven't bothered to get any new ones in a while. They're mostly a racket, and I have plenty as it is. Lots of people keep collecting them like pokemon. I think the last one I took was CNA web design, which is a joke because I don't and will never do web development. I've noticed that ethical hacker thing seems to be all the rage these days. It must be super easy to get or something.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tamas

What's the deal with Prince and Agile? UK Project Management ads all have the hots for them. Are they indeed worthwhile? Which is more?

Josquius

I always see lots of ads about agile. Really don't get the point of a certification for it.
"I have a certificate to prove I can show you half complete work every day! Yey!!"
This certification stuff: <_<
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Yeah it is a scam.  But it can be the difference between getting hired and being ShameOneMe.
PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 19, 2013, 11:06:54 PM
I haven't bothered to get any new ones in a while. They're mostly a racket, and I have plenty as it is. Lots of people keep collecting them like pokemon. I think the last one I took was CNA web design, which is a joke because I don't and will never do web development. I've noticed that ethical hacker thing seems to be all the rage these days. It must be super easy to get or something.
The hacker thing is popular because the DOD IT requirements listed it, and industry likes to follow along I guess.

I don't get this scrum/agile crap though.  Seems like  alot of stupid crap.
PDH!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 20, 2013, 06:06:26 AM
Yeah it is a scam.  But it can be the difference between getting hired and being ShameOneMe.

It's true. :cry:
Experience bij!

Caliga

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 20, 2013, 06:06:26 AM
Yeah.  But it's still not really a substitute for relevant experience.  A company might say 'CCNA required' for a position but if you hold the CCNA and have no experience, they still probably won't give you an interview.  FYI we have like 15 infrastructure guys at my company and most of them have no certs at all.  I think our new network architect might have some Cisco certs, but our Director of Infrastructure and Director of Architecture both have none at all (but between them they have about 60 years of experience or so).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

That is the good way to handle things.  Working in a state place if a job posting has, "CCNA preferred" or "MCSA required" then anybody without, even if they have more experience or what not is effectively shit outta luck.  A lady retired and her job was posted with a requirement for an MBA.  She has none, just decades of experience, but she'd be barred from even applying for her own job if she had to. 

I'm getting the certs to be safe, for situations like that. And it gives me some structure for my studies.
PDH!

Phillip V

I will be taking the MCSA Windows Server 2012 exam this Tuesday. Company will pay for it. :)

Darth Wagtaros

Bastard. :(  I don't get professional development.
PDH!

Phillip V

Passed the MCSA Windows Server 2012 exam. Now I just need to pass two more exams to get the Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE): Desktop Infrastructure title. $300 for all three exams.

Also today charged CompTIA's annual "Continuing Education" fee ($49) to the company.