News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Android Thread

Started by derspiess, March 06, 2011, 11:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Well it looks like the GSIII supports Google Wallet with its NFC chip, so I'm not losing that.  And I'm gaining what is for me a huge plus: a user-replaceable battery.  I also like the look of the AMOLED screen, even if it appears overly saturated with blue.

Just wish it had a kickstand :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Okay, Samsung's default keyboard sucks major ass.  Thankfully Swype is also installed.  Works great even without using the swipe feature.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

As for keyboards Swiftkey 3 is very, very good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Quote from: Liep on December 05, 2012, 03:32:40 AM

I had been using HTC's Sense keyboard for like 4 years, so I had gotten accustomed to that.  Might give Swiftkey a try if I sour on Swype.

Liep

The battery life of my Samsung has declined to only lasting four to five hours on each recharge with moderate use. Time to change it or did they come with a new software update that fucked up everything like earlier this year?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

It lost five procent while writing that message. :lol:

derspiess

Quote from: Liep on December 11, 2012, 05:06:51 AM
The battery life of my Samsung has declined to only lasting four to five hours on each recharge with moderate use. Time to change it or did they come with a new software update that fucked up everything like earlier this year?

Change it if you can find a cheap replacement.  I haven't checked yet for my Galaxy S III, but it seems like I can often avoid the huge retail markup and get OEM batteries for like $10 or less a pop on ebay.  With my old HTC EVO I used to get 2 generic batteries plus a charger for $11.  The batteries were great starting out but started to wear out after a few months-- still well worth what I paid.

Also double-check your settings.  Turning down your screen brightness can save a lot of battery life. 

derspiess

Quote from: derspiess on December 05, 2012, 10:33:56 AM
Quote from: Liep on December 05, 2012, 03:32:40 AM

I had been using HTC's Sense keyboard for like 4 years, so I had gotten accustomed to that.  Might give Swiftkey a try if I sour on Swype.

So I was installing some apps from Amazon's app store and realized I had apparently bought Swiftkey 3 from them several months ago.  Downloading it now :)

Liep

Wasn't the battery, at least the new battery is equally horrible. I guess I have to turn it in for repairs, again. :(

derspiess

That sucks.  Is it still under warranty?

Liep

Yeah, 2 years warranty and I've only had it for about a year and a half.

derspiess

Well at least you have that.  My brother's Galaxy S II only had a 1-year warranty and he had some sort of problem (forget exactly what) pop up after it expired and he's going to have to just live with it until he can get a new subsidized phone a few months from now.

I pay a monthly fee for a equipment protection plan on top of my warranty.  I've never had to use that, but I've found that Sprint tends to take my warranty more seriously when they find out I have the EPP.

Ed Anger

Acer supposedly has a 99 dollar android tablet warming up in the bullpen.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Looks like the thumb-drive-sized Android devices are starting to mature, though there hasn't been a "brand name" version on the market yet.  I'm getting tempted to pick up the MK802 III:

Has a quad-core 1.6ghz processor, 1GB RAM, 8GB of flash memory, a micro SD slot, Wireless B/G/N, and a USB port.  Connects to a TV by HDMI and is powered by a separate micro-USB port.  So if your TV has a USB slot you can power it from the TV itself.  I think this one runs Android 4.1.

sbr

What is the point of one of those?

To be clear this is an honest question.  I just woke up and haven't even made my first cup of tea so things are still a little fuzzy.