News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on August 10, 2012, 12:41:40 PM
The Middle East 4,000 BC to 1,000 BC. With lots of Swedish events and leaders.
:lmfao:

Syt

QuoteStrategy Informer: So, EU is on its fourth game name... not hard to imagine we'll be seeing sequels of one or two other titles as well *cough*Hearts of Iron 4*cough*... the industry at large seems to be suffering from a sense of sequel fatigue - do you think that will ever effect you guys?

Thomas Johansson: I suppose that depends on what you mean with fatigue. But as long as both we and the fans love these games I don't see any reason to stop making them.

Johan Andersson: Yeah, fans love sequels... But we do non-sequels and people tend to not buy them (rome, sengoku)...

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

As usual, I think Johan misses the point on why Rome and Sengoku were not successes (beyond just a smaller group of potential customers). Neither of them were particularly fun.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I like RPS' headline:

"History Repeats Itself: Europa Universalis IV Details"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2012, 01:10:41 PM
As usual, I think Johan misses the point on why Rome and Sengoku were not successes (beyond just a smaller group of potential customers). Neither of them were particularly fun.

Oh, I agree. Also, these games didn't seem to do much that the Total War games Rome and Shogun didn't cover themselves (minus real time battles), whereas CK or EU have a wholly different emphasis.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2012, 01:10:41 PM

Yeah, this goes back to my point.

"People will buy a game with an intuitive interface and lack of crash-bugs?!"
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PRC

Screenshots look good.  You can see on the oceans what looks like trade routes with little ships going back and forth.  Love that, I always thought that looked great on the maps of the Total War games, nice to see that touch here (if that is indeed what those are).

JonasSalk

Quote from: Berkut on August 10, 2012, 11:43:43 AM
I think playing EU3 MP was some of the funnest gaming time I have ever spent.

If they can do that with EU4, then they will have a buyer.

For real. Mega Italia will rise again in EU4.
Yuman

FunkMonk

EU 4 MP recruitment thread in T-minus 3... 2... 1...
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

Quote from: PRC on August 10, 2012, 02:01:03 PM
Screenshots look good.  You can see on the oceans what looks like trade routes with little ships going back and forth.  Love that, I always thought that looked great on the maps of the Total War games, nice to see that touch here (if that is indeed what those are).

I hope that means they'll go with some form of abstraction for naval stuff, at least where trade is concerned.  Being able to commit piracy against actual trade would be awesome.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Cecil

PRC

Quote from: Habbaku on August 10, 2012, 02:19:35 PM
Quote from: PRC on August 10, 2012, 02:01:03 PM

I hope that means they'll go with some form of abstraction for naval stuff, at least where trade is concerned.  Being able to commit piracy against actual trade would be awesome.

I did a double check and I guess what I thought were "trade routes" might be colonists on their routes?  That would be nice if that's displayed a little cleaner than in EU's of the past but I still hope it's a visualization of trade routes, that trade and supply is so much more realized in this version of the game.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

WTF are you doing on languish then? :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

Quote from: katmai on August 11, 2012, 01:56:37 AM
WTF are you doing on languish then? :P

The real question was WTF was I doing on the Pdox OT forum........ and even got kick off :lmfao:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".