News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

There are a lot of giant douchebags (David Hughes, Michael "Whinella" Rinella, to name two) on CSW, but the people who aren't make it worth it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

In practice, by the way, you don't really need to use your real name.  A realistic fake name will suffice.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Alright board wargame guru's. I need some imput.

I'm looking at purchasing these games below. Yes, yes I know..Kursk, but I cant help myself. Looks like these guys have done on board, what I've been working on with my TOAW III scenario.

Anyone heard anything on these guys or these games?

DRK-GD
Add-on DRK-11TH PANZER
Add-on DRK-3RD PANZER
Key Features                                                                     
(14) 11" x 17" game maps of the Kursk area (Butovo to Ivnya)
(4) Full Color Order of Battle Charts
Air Support, Casualty, and Replacement Charts
Rules covering the use and benefit of patrols, reserves and overwatch movement
Rules Written as Battlefield Operating System (BOS) Representations (level of fidelity)
     Maneuver (High)
     Fire Support (Medium-High)
     Air Defense (Medium)
     Mobility and Survivability (High)                                                                                         
     Combat Service Support (Medium-High)
     Intelligence (Medium)
     Command and Control (Medium-High)
Approximately 1700 Die Cut Unit Counters and Markers
Germans at platoon and company/battery level, Red Army at company/battery level
Numerous scenarios that allow play on smaller parts of the battle or the entire affair
Highly detailed without overbearing rules
Excellent Solitaire Play

http://www.grognardsims.com/v/prod05.html
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Sequence of Play.

Aside from the July 4 day, which consists of 2 daylight turns and 2 nighttime turns, each day consists of 8 daylight turns and 2 nighttime turns. Each turn is broken down into the following sequence of play;
1. Air Allocation - once per day, first daylight turn

2. Combat Service Support- once per day, first daylight turn
a. Reinforcements/Withdrawals
b. Replacements
c. Reorganization
d. Intelligence
e. Supply determination (optional)

3. German Turn
a. Command and control- (optional) determining if units are within command range of their respective HQ.
b. Operations phase- movement, combat, creation or removal of obstacles, minefields, rafting sites
c. Close assault phase
d. Unit Suppression Recovery
e. Air Interdiction Placement/Return and Close Air Support Mission Return.

4. Red Army Turn- steps a-e above are repeated for Soviet player.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 01, 2011, 05:24:01 AM
Anyone heard anything on these guys or these games?

DRK-GD
Add-on DRK-11TH PANZER
Add-on DRK-3RD PANZER

I expect my 11th Panzer to arrive in the mail today.  :P

Death Ride Kursk is a fantastic tactical level system;  I usually don't order games from little companies or one-man ops because of the production value (look how long it took Lock N Load to actually start pumping out quality components), but I have to say this system is a total blast.  I haven't even played the larger scenarios.

The cool thing is that it's wholly centered around the BOS, and the rules reflect that, so the'yre pretty light and straightforward so grunt like yourself would probably appreciate them.  :P It's drawn down on such a tactical level, the organic combat service support units such as trucks, maintenance, and medical have their own units. And you can split between a unit's primary weapon functionality and its secondary weaponry/small arms.  It's got fucking Overwatch Fire, for fuck's sake, because nothing's as annoying than Opportunity Fire fucktards messing with your plans.  How cool is that?

The only detractors I think it has:
---HQs:  Because so much gameplay and operational ability is tied to a unit's HQ, the current RAW makes it way too easy to unhinge your opponent's ops.  I haven't seen this kind of reliance on HQ units since Flashpoint:Golan.
---Counters:  They're heavyduty and designed well to contain a lot of info, but for the regular units it looks more like the Pink Army than the Red Army.  Whoo hoo, girlfriend! *snap, snap*
---More counters:  Not enough NKVD.  I can't shoot my troops for cowardice in the face of the Hun for the Party, like I can in Hell of Stalingrad.  Does have Pioneer units, though, so you can pinch your nipples when they blow shit up.

I highly recommend it.  Rules are a relative breeze, and it takes care of your massive tactical-level murder boner without paralysis by analysis like ASL.  I was so impressed, I bought all his Pacific-theater games.  Haven't decided on his new Arab-Israeli '73 game yet.

The designer is logged on CSW practically every day.  Very cool dude.

If you order them, order the "Deluxe Maps" versions.  They're just better.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 31, 2011, 07:02:40 PM
I see consimworld is having the vapors over using a 'real name'. Old people. Wargamers.  :lol:

Enjoy the cyber stalking and the identity theft.

Link me, haven't seen it in any of the threads I read.  Although I do sooo enjoy the cross-post pooh-slinging flare-ups between CSW and BBG;  man, some of these fuckers make EUOT look like an insurance company's extranet discussions.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on May 31, 2011, 09:59:45 PM
There are a lot of giant douchebags (David Hughes, Michael "Whinella" Rinella, to name two) on CSW, but the people who aren't make it worth it.

I want a Mark Pitcavage microbadge.

11B4V

Great review CD, thanks. From a quick look at what I could see on their site, The OOB is pretty accurate. I will put these on order.

Massive Kursk wargames=  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. Now if these guys continue w/ III panzer Corps and II SS Panzer Corps areas and Nipe comes out with his book, everything will be right in the world.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, he had such a positive response from the first game, he ramped up production of 3rd and 11th Panzer;  3rd wasn't supposed to come out until later in the summer, and 11th was slated for 2012.  Now you can have them all.  Right now.  Get them.

The Brain

Quote from: 11B4V on June 01, 2011, 06:34:47 AM
Great review CD, thanks. From a quick look at what I could see on their site, The OOB is pretty accurate. I will put these on order.

Massive Kursk wargames=  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. Now if these guys continue w/ III panzer Corps and II SS Panzer Corps areas and Nipe comes out with his book, everything will be right in the world.

What is it about Kursk that you find so appealling?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Date:           Order#:
06/01/2011  170

GSI-0004  Death Ride Kursk - Gross Deutschland; Deluxe Map Edition    1  $125.00  $125.00 

GSI-0007  Death Ride Kursk - 3rd Panzer; DME Expansion    1  $65.00  $65.00 

GSI-0010  Death Ride Kursk - 11th Panzer; Deluxe Map Edition    1  $85.00  $85.00

Blam, and that's how we roll. :P

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on June 01, 2011, 07:36:02 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 01, 2011, 06:34:47 AM

What is it about Kursk that you find so appealling?

Didnt see this Brain until I was getting ready to leave work. Sorry. I'll give you a reply tonight.
I take this battle from 04 July to 23-25 Aug '43 from the soviet prospective.

11B4V

To generally sum it  up.
1. The amount of misinformation and myths about this battle. Lion's share of that on the commy Russians, which I believe did them a dis-service.

2. First time the Russians stopped a major German summer offensive in the shallow operational depths. Russians "were" worried and the Germans were over confident.

3. The effects that the German losses at Stalingrad had on this battle. Infantry

4. Both side essentially brought their "A" team of Army Group and below leadership to the battle.

5. The steady evolution of Russian organizational and doctrinal changes that culminated with this battle.

6. The initiative firmly passed as a result of Kursk.

7. How the hard core german fan bois try and eek out, find, justify, or what have you, a german victory, no matter how slight from fantasy land.

8. There's more, but I'm lazy and tired.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

11B4V, I like you signature, and I've thought about copying it (with appropriate revisions), but I might get into trouble if I did.