News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Almost-official info regarding our new Constitution (you never know with these guys. They change their minds faster than it takes Tim to post a new thread)

-official name of the country will be "Magyarország" (Hungary) and not Magyar Köztársaság (Republic of Hungary) like it is now.
-indirectly, it will ban gay marriage, as it will define marriage as a thing between a mand and a woman (and something to be protected)
-it will limit the amount of loans the government can take, much like Poland does
-despite talks of the opposite, the limits on the Constitutional Court will remain. Basically they can't protest about anything but "human dignity" regarding new laws
-it will ban state contracts with offshore companies

As the comedy department, the Preambulum (is that also the english spelling?) will be renamed Statement of Faith or something like that, and it will begin like our anthem (which was a poem written 150 years ago, and pretended to quote a preacher from the 16th century): "God, bless the Hungarians"
And at various places the draft contains stuff like "protection of the Hungarian language" "importance of sports" and "avoidance of foreign words"

Ah, and a couple of weeks ago, a big announcement was made about a package of various reforms (austerity is a word to be avoided at all costs) which ended up being extremely lukewarm, and basically only contained loose deadlines for the various areas where spending cuts must be made.
But! The english release of the supposedly same plan contains much more detailed informations! The bastards think that in the age of the Internet they can feed totally diferent shit at home and abroad, and get away with it.

The Brain

So Arabs have the balls to get rid of ridiculous regimes but Hungarians do not? :hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Oh and an other hillarity which is an excellent showcase of how these guys operate.

The government proposed to rename our international airport, which is now called Ferihegy Airport ("Ferihegy" is the geopgraphical location of the airport).
They would rather want it be called "Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport"

There is a kind of state office or whatever which can throw back important place-namings such as this. They did just that with this, and said it should be "Ferenc Liszt International Airport, Ferihegy Budapest".

The government's answer: they will reduce the office's headcount and curb their rights.

DGuller

Hungarian people are not ready for democracy.  :(

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM
-official name of the country will be "Magyarország" (Hungary) and not Magyar Köztársaság (Republic of Hungary) like it is now.

The hapsburgs must be creaming their pants as we speak.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

JonasSalk

Was the ban on gay marriage some sort of concession to the religious people in the country?  I wasn't aware Hungarians were religious in any great degree anymore.  Not like the Poles, at least.

And it's "preamble."
Yuman

Tamas

Quote from: JonasSalk on March 09, 2011, 01:55:52 PM
Was the ban on gay marriage some sort of concession to the religious people in the country?  I wasn't aware Hungarians were religious in any great degree anymore.  Not like the Poles, at least.

And it's "preamble."

Ah, preamble, right.

Well I honestly cant tell the impact of religiousness, because it has roughly the same symptoms as general ignorance and vulnerability to blatant populism, which we have in spades. So its hard to see how much of the plebs is actually religious.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on March 09, 2011, 02:09:19 PM
Quote from: JonasSalk on March 09, 2011, 01:55:52 PM

And it's "preamble."

Ah, preamble, right.

Well I honestly cant tell the impact of religiousness, because it has roughly the same symptoms as general ignorance and vulnerability to blatant populism, which we have in spades. So its hard to see how much of the plebs is actually religious.

if that court can deal with thingies infringing on human dignity in new laws, and since the outlawing (even indirect) of gay marriage would be new laws maybe the court should go there and deal with it. See what the goverment does. if they act in the way we'd expect them to act you can expect another EU-wide stink.
Soon enough Hungary will be like Kazynski-poland: a smelly turd.

JonasSalk

I guess I don't get how they would be anti-gay marriage, yet not religious.  Is it just a macho "we hate fags" kind of thing that isn't a religious imperative?
Yuman

Martinus

Doesn't Hungary already have gay civil unions, though? So will this be affected or is this more like "ok, we did that but that's as far as we are willing to move"?

Martinus

Quote from: JonasSalk on March 09, 2011, 03:04:38 PM
I guess I don't get how they would be anti-gay marriage, yet not religious.  Is it just a macho "we hate fags" kind of thing that isn't a religious imperative?

Nazis and communists weren't big on homosexuality either. It's something to do with precious bodily fluids and whatnot. It's a pretty common stance to take for nationalist regimes (and Hungary is one).

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 09, 2011, 02:22:24 PM
if that court can deal with thingies infringing on human dignity in new laws, and since the outlawing (even indirect) of gay marriage would be new laws maybe the court should go there and deal with it. See what the goverment does. if they act in the way we'd expect them to act you can expect another EU-wide stink.
Soon enough Hungary will be like Kazynski-poland: a smelly turd.

What do you mean, "will be?" :D
Experience bij!

Martinus

Quote-it will ban state contracts with offshore companies

What do they mean by that? Do they mean like tax havens or any company that is not incorporated in Hungary? If the latter, it's not only ridiculous but illegal under EU laws.  :lol:

Martinus

QuoteAnd at various places the draft contains stuff like "protection of the Hungarian language" "importance of sports" and "avoidance of foreign words"

Your country is like Europe's Turkmenistan. I hope you get kicked out of the EU. :D

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on March 09, 2011, 06:30:45 PM
QuoteAnd at various places the draft contains stuff like "protection of the Hungarian language" "importance of sports" and "avoidance of foreign words"

Your country is like Europe's Turkmenistan. I hope you get kicked out of the EU. :D

Cripplefight!!!!!1111111oneoeneoneoe
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.