2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on March 10, 2024, 12:43:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 10, 2024, 12:31:33 PMIt doesn't matter.  Saying "there was no person standing right here, so the land must be ours" is silly.  You have a bunch of reservations in Quebec, decolonize now!  Give the land back.

Hey Viper may have Huron ancestors.
It's a distinct possibility on my maternal grandmother's side, though unconfirmed.  I may be descended from Étienne Brûlé.

I don't have the family tree from my grandmother's family, on my grandfathers.  A tv documentary about the first families of New France says that my grandma's family comes in part from Étienne Brûlé, through adoption (kids where sent to adoption, some became the family of my grandmother, but there are other branches too. Impossible to know which branch for sure if I don't command a family tree).

On my dad's side, we come from a small town in Normandy, 13-14th century.  Might be why I so much like the Mass Effect series :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Viper, I don't think the biggest obstacle to direct negotiations between various First Nations and Quebec has anything to do with Trudeau. I'm pretty sure the main challenge is that the First Nation's see themselves as having a direct relationship with the crown, not the province or nation of Quebec.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on March 10, 2024, 01:30:19 PMViper, I don't think the biggest obstacle to direct negotiations between various First Nations and Quebec has anything to do with Trudeau. I'm pretty sure the main challenge is that the First Nation's see themselves as having a direct relationship with the crown, not the province or nation of Quebec.
The Federal government keeps interfering in everything and sabotaging every attempts.

Then again, the current government is very apt at sabotaging its own attempts.

But there are issues that endure, like the Oka crisis that isn't yet solved, even though a private owner wants to give his lands to the Mohawks.

In Quebec city, the Feds decided they would split the lands in two: give half to the Hurons, and half to the Innus who were never there and have a conflict with the Hurons.  Divide and conquer.  Let Quebec city and the Quebec government deal with the mess after that.

Quebec did many mistakes, but we agreed long ago on the principle that we would deal with First Nations as equals.  Not as dependants.  However, what we won't allow, is Federal interference.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

Sounds like some dudes came in a while ago, took control of land to which the previous inhabitants never agreed to, and now the newer dudes are deciding what do with these older dudes, above their heads. This calls for a from the forest to the sea, Turtle Island will be free chant.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on March 10, 2024, 02:47:39 PMSounds like some dudes came in a while ago, took control of land to which the previous inhabitants never agreed to, and now the newer dudes are deciding what do with these older dudes, above their heads. This calls for a from the forest to the sea, Turtle Island will be free chant.
Some dudes were in these lands a while ago.
Some dudes came to visit them.  And claim their lands in the name of their great King.  They tried to establish a colony.  It did not really work out.  They quarrelled.  They left.  These visiting duded forgot about this particular place and these particular people and instead put up a trading post somewhere else downriver that they visited only in the summer, trading with some other dudes who happened to have in common only they were of the same skin colour as the previous dudes.

As for the previous dudes who were visited, they may have been chased by other dudes of the same colour.  Or died from diseases due to contact with unclean duded from the lands across the Great Sea.  Whatever is the case, is that some 75 years later, some other dude came back to the trading post, smoke something with some of the dudes there, and they told him all the lands belong to them because there was no one here and he could very well build a great city, if only he would destroy these nasty dudes that were always making trouble.

So this bearded came and saw a great cape, as described by some other bearded dude, and he saw no one.  No camps, no trace of anyone ever living there.  He decided it was a good place to build a great city with tall skyscrapers a huge port, a cycling way, a railroad... Ah, that would come later.

What he did was build a few houses, went back to his King, announced the great news: he had found allies, built a city, found furs, and needed weapons to defend the friendly dudes against the evil dudes from New York.

So he came back with men and weapons.  And he went to Upper New York State.  And he fought valiantly with an army of Hurons, Innus and Ottawas against the rabbles of scary Iroquois and defeated them.

So no one ever bothered to claim this part of the territory, it was given.

Some dudette later came and decided to build another city on an island, higher up on the river.  She wanted a place for herself so she could bring all these nice people to light of her one true God, a place closer to the friendly people they had already met, and at the same time, close to the nasty people they had previously defeated so that the power of God would protect them from their evil ways.

And then you know what happened?  Well, you are trapped between and immovable object and an unstoppable force.   This was a battleground between two groups of brown dudes.  So the English speaking brown dudes attacked the French speaking brown dudes saying the French ones should bow to them and pay them to trade.  

And the French whites ones wanted to hold the trade rights over everyone instead of the evil English ones who were abusing all the peace loving brown people of the northwest.

So war ensued.  And the English speaking and Dutch speaking white dudes gave weapons and whisky to their brown people so they would kill the French speaking white people.  The Good ones were also stubborn in their ways and refused to give weapons to the locals unless they prayed to their God.  So their version of Megatron encouraged them to destroy the good brown people, forcing them away from their lands into far away Quebec city.

Seeing this, the French asked for a military regiment and first destroyed the evil brown people's supply cache and made their peace.

Then the militia was sent to scalp the evil speaking two tongue people and the good brown people took their white women with them.  So, for a time, there was peace, and every one knew not to raid one another and a Great Peace was signed between all the Brown People and good White People, leaving the Evil Cobra skulking on their side of the Valley, waiting for revenge.

Meanwhile, the English-as-a-second-language speaking brown people expelled more of their own people who worshipped differently than the Evil White People, so they were granted lands near Montreal and they basked in the light of the One True Language.  

Later, these good people were re-assimilated by their Evil Cousins, spoke the wrong language despite keeping the Good Faith, and they decided to claim large chunks of territories that never belonged to them.

Josquius

Its funny how black and white some people can be.
Like the only options are continued injustice for natives or...white people all move to Europe?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on March 11, 2024, 04:01:14 AMIts funny how black and white some people can be.
Like the only options are continued injustice for natives or...white people all move to Europe?
Well, the injustice against the natives is that they don't have their land.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Handful of polls show a Biden lead: https://www.newsweek.com/presidential-election-latest-polls-biden-trump-1877928

We're eight months out and all that, so it means nothing... but sometimes you need a bit of hope.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Jacob on March 12, 2024, 05:36:51 PMHandful of polls show a Biden lead: https://www.newsweek.com/presidential-election-latest-polls-biden-trump-1877928

We're eight months out and all that, so it means nothing... but sometimes you need a bit of hope.

Mh, better be careful. Polls said Hillary would win too

garbon

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 13, 2024, 03:40:58 AM
Quote from: Jacob on March 12, 2024, 05:36:51 PMHandful of polls show a Biden lead: https://www.newsweek.com/presidential-election-latest-polls-biden-trump-1877928

He said it means nothing.:o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2024, 07:29:51 AM

It bears repeating and reinforcing. This is, after all, not the best timeline apparently

garbon

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 13, 2024, 07:36:08 AM

It bears repeating and reinforcing. This is, after all, not the best timeline apparently

I don't think any of us think this will be an easy election. :huh;

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2024, 07:43:40 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 13, 2024, 07:36:08 AM

I don't think any of us think this will be an easy election. :huh;
Anywhere, with European elections coming up as well. But that's another thread

OttoVonBismarck

Biden's polling vs Trump for this cycle has shown him up previously, too, if you go back into 2023. The reality remains, whether positive or negative for Biden, polling has not been found to be strongly predictive this far away from the election.