What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 24, 2023, 09:27:46 AMGood news for the Dems.

This likely tracks in Canada as well, but I'm not sure about the rest of the world.

From the New York Times

QuoteOverall, according to the General Social Survey, boomers, who came of age during the turmoil and transformation of the 1960s and 1970s, are still more liberal than not. Gen Xers, who came of age during the Reagan revolution, started off more conservative than their older counterparts and have become the most consistently conservative generation in the electorate.

The case of Millennial voters is where things start to get interesting. As children of 9/11, the War on Terror and the 2008 financial crisis, Millennials — born between 1981 and 1996 — entered the electorate much more Democratic than their immediate predecessors. But while they have gotten a little more conservative in the years since, it has been at a much slower rate than you'd expect.

What's more, the gap in the number of Millennials who identify as Democrats rather than Republicans is huge, with more than twice as many self-identified Democrats as Republicans. The next cohort on the roster, Gen Z, is even more liberal and Democratic than Millennials, and shows no indication of becoming substantially more conservative as it ages.

Here is the full article gifted so you can get behind a pay wall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/24/opinion/gen-z-millennials-republicans.html?unlocked_article_code=1.5Ew.E2rR.7jAtKydhnkt6&smid=url-share

Thanks for all these articles gifts, CC.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2023, 09:34:07 AMAnxiety over global warming and the remarkable incompetence and blundering of conservatives around the world in even acknowledging, much less responding, to the crisis is also driving this. It is weird to see clips of people like Margaret Thatcher discussing how important it is to respond to the challenge from 40 years ago. What happened?

Anyway it is amazing what we have managed to accomplish with so much opposition from the biggest and most powerful economic and political forces on the planet but it is also amazing that this struggle has played out this way in countering an obvious and advancing existential threat.

Gen Z wants action. And frankly so should Gen X, I don't know what the hell is wrong with us. We are just slackers to the end.

In our defense, the boomers have overstay their welcome in positions of power by many years.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 24, 2023, 09:27:46 AMGood news for the Dems.

This likely tracks in Canada as well, but I'm not sure about the rest of the world.
True for the English speaking world, continental Europe is showing new cohorts behaving like old ones in terms of how their views evolve. Plus in many (France, Italy and maybe Germany) support for the radical right is highest among working age people (but, I believe, strongest in 25-40), the radical left are strongest with the young and the traditional established parties of centre left and right strongest among the over 50s.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 24, 2023, 05:55:36 PMIn our defense, the boomers have overstay their welcome in positions of power by many years.

In a democratic society, can it be said that a politician of a certain generation "has overstayed their welcome", if they keep winning democratic elections?  :hmm:

Josquius

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 24, 2023, 10:44:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 24, 2023, 05:55:36 PMIn our defense, the boomers have overstay their welcome in positions of power by many years.

In a democratic society, can it be said that a politician of a certain generation "has overstayed their welcome", if they keep winning democratic elections?  :hmm:

Calling the US democratic is stretching the meaning of the word in 2023.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on October 24, 2023, 11:58:51 PM

Trump did lose the election.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on October 25, 2023, 01:00:43 AM

2016?
Yes.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on October 25, 2023, 02:06:03 AM

2016?
Yes.

:tinfoil:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on October 25, 2023, 02:53:30 AM
Quote from: Josquius on October 25, 2023, 02:06:03 AM

2016?
Yes.

:tinfoil:

According to wikipedia 62,984,828 to 65,853,514.
The electoral college is a borked undemocratic system.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on October 25, 2023, 05:04:54 AMFPTP pot meet Electoral kettle.
Jos doesn't really think the UK is democratic either :P
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 25, 2023, 06:58:46 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 25, 2023, 05:04:54 AMFPTP pot meet Electoral kettle.
Jos doesn't really think the UK is democratic either :P

But Jos is arguing that "Calling the US democratic is stretching the meaning of the word in 2023."  That means that he believes that the year is important, when nothing has changed in the system except that it elected a guy he didn't like.  He's agreeing with Trump in that regard.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

That the US hasn't changed is precisely the point.
The standards for what rates as a good democracy have risen over the decades.
Once necessary compromises are no longer necessary for any other reason than its how things have always been done.
██████
██████
██████