Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

Quote from: garbon on July 28, 2023, 05:22:41 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on July 28, 2023, 05:01:28 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 28, 2023, 04:32:19 AMJust saying if you're  vegan to be smug it's misguided. You probably swear by almond milk too :P
I don't like any kind of milk, whether it comes from a cow udder or a plant.

And yes, being vegan is one of the most effective ways you can be sustainable as an individual.

I don't believe I'd be able to sustain my person though. :sleep:

Are you a cat? Can you not live without fresh mice?

HVC

"How do you know someone is a Vegan?"

"Don't worry, they'll always make sure to tell you"

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Hamilcar

Quote from: HVC on July 28, 2023, 05:33:21 AM"How do you know someone is a Vegan?"

You know what you're doing is monstrously wrong. You need to be smug and dismissive so you won't face the awful reality of what you're doing.

HVC

Many western vegans can be annoying (see the above old joke :P ). I can respect a person who is a vegan due to religious precepts and i understand those who do it because they care about animal husbandry or their health (although many do it poorly and in actual detriment to their health). But the smug ones that do it to show off how much of a better person they are just get an eye roll.

And at least around my area the smug vegan type is a pernicious sign of affluence.  Not just because it's often expensive to be vegan, but because all their rich friends can buy the same toys they can. so one of the ways they show they're better then their peers is through being a vegan. " You might be as rich as me, but you don't have the moral fortitude to be a vegan, which proves I'm better then you"

I'm fat so I have other issues lol, but I'll enjoy my meat and die earlier but happier :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Hamilcar

HVC

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 28, 2023, 05:46:46 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 28, 2023, 05:33:21 AM"How do you know someone is a Vegan?"

You know what you're doing is monstrously wrong. You need to be smug and dismissive so you won't face the awful reality of what you're doing.

:hug:

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 28, 2023, 05:27:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 28, 2023, 05:22:41 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on July 28, 2023, 05:01:28 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 28, 2023, 04:32:19 AMJust saying if you're  vegan to be smug it's misguided. You probably swear by almond milk too :P
I don't like any kind of milk, whether it comes from a cow udder or a plant.

And yes, being vegan is one of the most effective ways you can be sustainable as an individual.

I don't believe I'd be able to sustain my person though. :sleep:

Are you a cat? Can you not live without fresh mice?

I'd be so sad and depressed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

I find veganism ignorant and highly offensive to plant life. Just because it is beyond our ability to understand how plants exactly function as living being does not mean they are an inferior form of life or that it is less traumatic for their version of a nervous system or soul to be chopped up and killed.

Who made vegans the arbiters of which form of life is above the other?

Hamilcar

Quote from: Tamas on July 28, 2023, 08:55:24 AMI find veganism ignorant and highly offensive to plant life. Just because it is beyond our ability to understand how plants exactly function as living being does not mean they are an inferior form of life or that it is less traumatic for their version of a nervous system or soul to be chopped up and killed.

Who made vegans the arbiters of which form of life is above the other?

Come on, that's so beneath you. You can insult better.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2023, 02:02:04 AM
Quote from: GuardianStanford engineering professor and renewable energy expert Mark Z Jacobson tweeted the other day, "Given that scientists who study 100% renewable energy systems are unanimous that it can be done why do we hear daily on twitter and everywhere else by those who don't study such systems that it can't be done?" A significant percentage of the general public speaks of climate change with a strange combination of confidence and defeatism: confidence in positions often based on inaccurate or outdated or maybe no information; defeatism about what we can do to make a livable future. Maybe they just get their facts from other doom evangelists, who flourish on the internet, no matter how much reputable scientists demonstrate their errors.

Putting 100% renewables as the cure for climate change is just gaslighting. In the 80s and 90s Sweden used essentially 50% hydro and 50% nuclear, and got stable and cheap power. Obviously the safety and environmental problems of the system were dominated by hydro, but still reasonable and very good from a climate perspective. Electrical power is of course just one part of the energy sector, but a growing one with plans for electric car fleets, more use of electric industrial processes etc etc.

Yeah well most of us don't have access to hydro and are politically unable to build lots of nukes.

So renewables it is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Has Hami finished with the virtue signalling, so we can get back to debating the topic? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2023, 11:42:58 PMYeah well most of us don't have access to hydro and are politically unable to build lots of nukes.

So renewables it is.

Ever heard of NIMBYism?  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on July 29, 2023, 10:07:07 AMHas Hami finished with the virtue signalling, so we can get back to debating the topic? :unsure:

If telling people they should stop eating meat to save the planet is virtue signaling, isn't telling people to stop flying so much or driving so much also virtue signaling? :mellow:

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2023, 01:57:05 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 29, 2023, 10:07:07 AMHas Hami finished with the virtue signalling, so we can get back to debating the topic? :unsure:

If telling people they should stop eating meat to save the planet is virtue signaling, isn't telling people to stop flying so much or driving so much also virtue signaling? :mellow:

Dont know, who does that here?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2023, 01:57:05 PM

Flying and driving can create a lot problem globally.
Eating meat in itself is not so bad.  Globally, there's a lot of waste, so total meat production is divided by the number of individuals so that gets bad. There's also the way we produce meat.

If we were to eliminate fast food, it'd be much less worst.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.