News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I remember Sebastian Deisler was one of the biggest up and coming talents in German football. He suffered a few early injuries and never regained the confidence to ever reach the potential others saw in him and fell into depression under the pressure (signing with Bayern Munich probably didn't help). He retired a few days after his 27th birthday. He later said he was just not cut out for the business.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2023, 05:21:08 AMI remember Sebastian Deisler was one of the biggest up and coming talents in German football. He suffered a few early injuries and never regained the confidence to ever reach the potential others saw in him and fell into depression under the pressure (signing with Bayern Munich probably didn't help). He retired a few days after his 27th birthday. He later said he was just not cut out for the business.

The "young super promising player that suffers from severe injury setbacks in his early career" is almost a trope at this point, I think. In Spain we're seeing the same thing happening right now with Barcelona's Ansu Fati, which was considered a generational talent but a couple of big injuries have really sapped his confidence. The guy is still only 20, but you already hear some voices saying that Barcelona should cut ties and get rid of him, as he's never going to amount to much after those injuries, which sounds extremely callous to me.

mongers

Quote from: Josquius on March 19, 2023, 03:45:13 AMSouthampton to escape relegation?

In other league news. Championship referees are awful.
Midweek game given a non penalty against us creating a loss and yesterday gaining a non penalty to convert a loss to a draw.

Nothing will beat the Matt Le T. lead 'Great Escape'.  :wub:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

There's a lot more internationals in recent decades than there used to be right?

Harry Kane just became England's top scorer and not too many spaces below on the rankings is Michael Owen...
Kane is good but as good as prime Lineker or others?
And Owen?...
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on March 23, 2023, 03:33:31 PMThere's a lot more internationals in recent decades than there used to be right?

Yeah, tons more. Club matches as well.

Josephus

England beat Italy in Italy for the first time since 1961
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on March 23, 2023, 03:33:31 PMThere's a lot more internationals in recent decades than there used to be right?

Harry Kane just became England's top scorer and not too many spaces below on the rankings is Michael Owen...
And Owen?...

Kane's scored six more goals in one more game than Lineker and 14 more goals in 8 fewer games than Owen.

Owen was amazing for a couple of years but over his career Kane is vastly superior. Hard to compare with Gary, different era where strikers like him and Rush has no duties other than to get in the box and score.

Kane has a suburb goal average for England. Way above any other player on the last 50 years. You have to go back to Greaves and Lofthouse to find better. He's way better statistically than Shearer and Rooney.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on March 23, 2023, 04:56:31 PM

And Owen?...

Kane's scored six more goals in one more game than Lineker and 14 more goals in 8 fewer games than Owen.

Owen was amazing for a couple of years but over his career Kane is vastly superior. Hard to compare with Gary, different era where strikers like him and Rush has no duties other than to get in the box and score.

Kane has a suburb goal average for England. Way above any other player on the last 50 years. You have to go back to Greaves and Lofthouse to find better. He's way better statistically than Shearer and Rooney.
Shearer and Rooney weren't exactly super stars either.
I guess the lesson is less Kane great and more England shockingly mediocre.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on March 27, 2023, 02:45:07 AMShearer and Rooney weren't exactly super stars either.

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on March 27, 2023, 04:11:34 AM
Quote from: Josquius on March 27, 2023, 02:45:07 AMShearer and Rooney weren't exactly super stars either.

Rooney fits neatly into the earlier topic of failed wonderkids.
Amazing teenager, peaked early, and became meh... good, maybe on the subs bench of a world xi at his peak, but not a superstar.

Shearer... he had some amazing seasons at Blackburn but for various reasons dropped off to merely good. I'd give a lot of credit to Sutton.  Utd failed to give him such an effective partner.

Note the bar we're talking about here. Best players ever. Not were they good or not.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Dunno, if the bar is "best in the world at the time" I'd certainly have considered Shearer one of the best strikers worldwide during his pomp. Rooney probably not, though.

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on March 27, 2023, 04:41:22 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 27, 2023, 04:11:34 AM

Rooney fits neatly into the earlier topic of failed wonderkids.
Amazing teenager, peaked early, and became meh... good, maybe on the subs bench of a world xi at his peak, but not a superstar.

Shearer... he had some amazing seasons at Blackburn but for various reasons dropped off to merely good. I'd give a lot of credit to Sutton.  Utd failed to give him such an effective partner.

Note the bar we're talking about here. Best players ever. Not were they good or not.

Calling Rooney a failed wonderkid is complete nonsense. The man has a list of honours longer than my arm, a long and illustrious career and heaps of silverware. You saying that he peaked early makes no sense either, when his best scoring season was at 26, and he performed well for United until his early 30s.

Shearer was without a doubt one of the world's best between 93 and 96, and getting Blackburn to win the PL was an incredible feat.

Both Rooney and Shearer were absolute super stars on their time, to dismiss them is ridiculous.

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on March 27, 2023, 02:45:07 AM
Quote from: Gups on March 23, 2023, 04:56:31 PM

And Owen?...

Shearer and Rooney weren't exactly super stars either.
I guess the lesson is less Kane great and more England shockingly mediocre.

Kane has a better goals per game ratio than Messi, Ronaldo or Neymar. He's an outstanding international striker. He's a underestimated by people who don't watch much football because he doesn't play for a top club.

Gups

Quote from: celedhring on March 27, 2023, 05:02:23 AMDunno, if the bar is "best in the world at the time" I'd certainly have considered Shearer one of the best strikers worldwide during his pomp. Rooney probably not, though.

The bar was best English strikers. Kane is undoubtedly one of, if not the, best